Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 02:38 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times

Advertisements

Not sure it qualifies, but I use plain old 3% hydrogen peroxide - cheap, no smell and it works great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 07:19 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,076 times
When I say green, I mean safe for the environment. I don't particularly care if they have an official "green" seal or not. I just want something that will kill bacteria and viruses when someone is sick or after I have handled raw meat or eggs or to clean the toilet. I rarely use disinfectants except in those situations.

The items that have been mentioned are they truly safe and do they kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Well, vinegar is certainly safe. You can drink it. You can rinse your mouth out with hydrogen peroxide. That sounds safe to me.

As for killing 99.9 percent of viruses and bacteria ... Don't listen to the Clorox-driven advertising hype. In the examples you've given -- handling raw meats, etc. -- use plain old soap. You don't have to kill the germs, you just have to rinse/wipe them away.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:20 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Recipes for cleaners that you can make at home--environmentally friendly, too!

Homemade Disinfectant:

2 c. distilled white vinegar
5-10 drops essential oil (lavender, cinnamon, etc)

Put in a spray bottle, label it, and go to town!

Homemade Window Cleaner:

1/2 tsp castile soap or plant-based liquid soap
3 T. distilled white vinegar
2 c. water

Put in a spray bottle, label it, and...well, read above LOL!

Homemade Produce Wash:

1 c. water
1 c. white vinegar
1 T. baking soda
20 drops grapefruit seed extract

Make in a deep pitcher--the vinegar and baking soda will initially foam. Pour into a spray bottle and spray your fruits and vegetables. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before rinsing.

Homemade "Pledge" Wood Cleaner:

1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. olive or any vegetable oil

Mix ingredients and apply to rag to clean wood furniture.

Homemade Tub/Tile/Toilet Cleaner:

1/2 cup of borax
1/2 cup white vinegar

Sprinkle borax on surface. Spray with vinegar. Scrub.

Homemade Carpet Deodorizer:

1/2 c. baking soda
1/2 c. cornstarch
5 drops lavender oil
5 drops orange essential oil

Mix ingredients until there are no lumps. Put in a glass sugar shaker (or parm. cheese shaker) and shake over carpet. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before vacuuming.

Homemade Laundry Detergent:

16 c. baking soda
12 c. borax
8 c. castile soap, flakes, or glycerine, or soap flakes
3 T. essential oils (lavender is great!)

Mix first three ingredients.
Add essential oils. Use wire whisk to evenly distribute.

Use 1 1/8 c. per load.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
After you kill the 99.9% the 0.1% surviviors will breed some really tough bugs. Soap or detergent and water with the occsional dose of clorox works just fine.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:54 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Recipes for cleaners that you can make at home--environmentally friendly, too!

Homemade Disinfectant:

2 c. distilled white vinegar
5-10 drops essential oil (lavender, cinnamon, etc)

Put in a spray bottle, label it, and go to town!

Homemade Window Cleaner:

1/2 tsp castile soap or plant-based liquid soap
3 T. distilled white vinegar
2 c. water

Put in a spray bottle, label it, and...well, read above LOL!

Homemade Produce Wash:

1 c. water
1 c. white vinegar
1 T. baking soda
20 drops grapefruit seed extract

Make in a deep pitcher--the vinegar and baking soda will initially foam. Pour into a spray bottle and spray your fruits and vegetables. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before rinsing.

Homemade "Pledge" Wood Cleaner:

1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 c. olive or any vegetable oil

Mix ingredients and apply to rag to clean wood furniture.

Homemade Tub/Tile/Toilet Cleaner:

1/2 cup of borax
1/2 cup white vinegar

Sprinkle borax on surface. Spray with vinegar. Scrub.

Homemade Carpet Deodorizer:

1/2 c. baking soda
1/2 c. cornstarch
5 drops lavender oil
5 drops orange essential oil

Mix ingredients until there are no lumps. Put in a glass sugar shaker (or parm. cheese shaker) and shake over carpet. Let sit for 5-10 minutes before vacuuming.

Homemade Laundry Detergent:

16 c. baking soda
12 c. borax
8 c. castile soap, flakes, or glycerine, or soap flakes
3 T. essential oils (lavender is great!)

Mix first three ingredients.
Add essential oils. Use wire whisk to evenly distribute.

Use 1 1/8 c. per load.

Thank you for sharing those! Awesome!

I use ecover products as well as 7th generation products for some things like dishwashing and laundry... I really love ecover laundry products... i love that the containers that the products come in are easily recycled or reused, too.

For everything else - bathrooms, floors, walls, windows, car, furniture, etc - I use vinegar, essential oils, baking soda, salt, or Dr. Bronner's. I like the organic fair trade Dr. Bronner's - we use it for our hair, face, hands, and body, too. That stuff is super concentrated. We dilute it a bunch so one bottle really lasts us a long time. I buy the unscented variety. I have super sensitive skin and the baby-mild Dr. Bronner's is wonderful for my skin and face. Love a good scrub with a washcloth, some warmy soapy water, and Dr. Bronner's.

My favorite way to clean my sinks, tubs, and showers - bathrooms and kitchen - is to sprinkle a little salt, a little baking soda, and some drops of lemon or orange essential oil and scrub away with a scrubby sponge - I keep a bowl of warm water nearby. Smells so good!

I can't stand carpet, but you can make it a bit more tolerable by mixing some essential oil with some baking soda and sprinkling it into your carpet, rub it in a bit, and letting it sit about 20 minutes. The vacuum it up and it smells really good.

Baking soda also keeps ants out of your house - follow the trail of ants and put baking soda in the places where you think they are coming in from. Let it sit there for a few days, then vacuum up. We have had very good luck with this method. Our city has had a horrible problem with ants the past two years.

Our family doctor has told us that bleach isn't necessary. Hot soapy water and elbow grease is all you should ever really need he says.

Vodka mixed with a bit of water and some drops of your favorite essential oils make a really nice mister to help reshen the air.

So we are making good strides in learning how to keep our homes and yards clean and nice without using harsh toxic chemicals - now what about our bodies? Hair? Nails? Skin? Where do these body car products come from and what effects do they have on our environment when we wash them off and they go down the drain? Fake tans, hair color, nail polish, fragrances, makeup, lotions, soaps, shampoos, conditioners, toothpaste, even prescription and otc drugs... we bring so many chemicals into our homes without even thinking about it. It's time we thought about it.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,167 times
Default Green Disinfectant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
There is no such thing as a "Green" disinfectant. There are only a few labs that certify a product as being Green..."Green Seal Certification" They charge the manufacturer a bundle for this certification. So it's used mainly for commercial/industrial products that must comply with GS regulations.
A disinfectant CAN NOT be certified as Green because it 'kills' things...like germs and bacteria, which are living organisims.
For household use, I would recomend any 'over the counter' disinfectants.
There is a botanical based disinfectant on the market called Benefect that is made from essential oils and it has met all the government (EPA) requirements to be registered as a disinfectant. It also has the Design For The Environment certifiication (EPA's non-profit program that works like Green Seal to create sustainable/enviromental solutions).
Benefect:: US Site (http://www.benefect.com/usa - broken link)

Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
Always use vinegar or lemon on my cutting boards to clean them.

And just love, love, love .. Wild orange and cedar spice by Seventh Generation. Supposed to be a natural kitchen cleaner, but I use it for everything. Smells great!

Old 10-29-2008, 11:24 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
As for killing 99.9 percent of viruses and bacteria ... Don't listen to the Clorox-driven advertising hype. In the examples you've given -- handling raw meats, etc. -- use plain old soap. You don't have to kill the germs, you just have to rinse/wipe them away.
I understand what you are saying so I do use soap and water for the most part but it is kind of hard to use soap and water and rinse effectively things like countertops and the outside of a toilet or doorknobs when someone is sick. Not only am I concerned about the environment but I also don't want my son exposed to harsh chemicals.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:29 AM

524 posts, read 942,113 times
Melaleuca Alternafolia

I used to sell it... it is made from the Australian Tea Tree plant. It is a natural anti-viral, natural anti-fungal, and natural anti-bacterial substance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living