Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 12,466 times

Advertisements

Let's hear it from green burial supporters. Arizona needs to get involved! Chemicals .. ugh ashes .. hard to think about. Natural burials ... dignified ...respectful and gentle. It's time to think about the old fashioned way. Beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 06:23 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swnotes View Post
Let's hear it from green burial supporters. Arizona needs to get involved! Chemicals .. ugh ashes .. hard to think about. Natural burials ... dignified ...respectful and gentle. It's time to think about the old fashioned way. Beautiful.
I agree. A simple untreated wooden box holding my unpreserved remains works for me.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:53 PM

694 posts, read 2,651,058 times
Ditto ! (not to mention the ridiculous expense. )
Note to family keep it simple and have a party.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:23 AM

43 posts, read 146,494 times
THe old fashioned way is cremation. Native American Indians did it, Vikings did it, India does it. Why put a body into the cold ground and allow it to decompose into the drinking water sources? Yuck........

Old 03-10-2007, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 12,466 times
Where do you think all the ashes go ???? This compares to the choices made by a whole room full of friends and this is pretty much the last choice some of us get to make and enjoy while we're alive. I know I am. Let me tell you what led to embalming. Answer: necessity.
After the civil war, there were so many bodies to bury and/or send "home" for burial .... ta-daa ... In my hometown of Waterloo, NY, the enbalming we still use today was created to deal with the situation, by a gentleman named Genung. Old Bill Bailey was preserved and laid out on a table in a shed behind Genungs funeral home. All my childhood long we used to scare the daylights out of the new and younger kids around Halloween time. Now ... if anyone wants to take a look at me long after I,m gone, what they're only going to find is ... you guessed it ... ashes. :- ) !!! How long do you think it will take an embalmed body to turn to ashes?

Old 03-10-2007, 10:31 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times
Donate your entire body to a medical research university. You don't spend money on a funeral or cremation and you save lives at the same time. Why not?

Last edited by PrettyHateMachine; 03-10-2007 at 10:51 PM..

Old 03-11-2007, 05:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Donate your entire body to a medical research university. You don't spend money on a funeral or cremation and you save lives at the same time. Why not?
Sleeping With The Fishes (burial at sea) sounds good too.
But donating your body to medical research sounds best.
It's not like you need it anymore.
When my dad died, his corneas went to a 75 year old man living in Brooklyn.
We felt really happy to know that our dad was helping someone see again.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:32 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,332,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Sleeping With The Fishes (burial at sea) sounds good too.
But donating your body to medical research sounds best.
It's not like you need it anymore.
When my dad died, his corneas went to a 75 year old man living in Brooklyn.
We felt really happy to know that our dad was helping someone see again.
Good man, your dad.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:30 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,930,887 times
I'm with the idea of medical research and transplants too. Just take my leftovers out in the woods and let the coyotes and crows have something to pick at. I suppose regulations might prohibit this.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,276 times
Although this is a fairly old post I am in 100% agreement. As someone who lives in Arizona we have so many beautiful natural un-touched areas of land that could be perfect and beneficial to the creation of "green" burial grounds. Or even a place of recreation, that people were laid to rest. As someone who is going into the funeral business I would love to be apart of any future green project having to do with the subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living