Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 09:46 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
yea because we'd all rather see coal power plants in the distance spewing smoke, and giant cooling towers of nuclear plants on the horizon, especially beautiful at sunset.
Oh yea, the windmills on the top of mountains in WV are a great natural scene. They don't put them on farms like out west - they put them at the top of the mountains along the ridge lines. They can be seen for miles. The windmills are not concentrated in one area, but line the mountain tops for miles.

They have already put them in WV near an area where people come for "nature" tourism. A few are a novelty and not too intrusive but .... no more!!!!!!!!

The coal power plants are not intrusive. You can see the steam if you look directly in that direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I generally agree that wind power has some possible applications in specific locations, but solar power has a lot more long term potential. The flaw of wind power is the long distance from the generator (wind turbine) to the majority of large population centers in the US. For the few cities that are near the prime wind power locations in the US (mostly in the western great plains from Dakotas to West Texas) I can see how wind power might enter into their options. But the idea of building a massive long haul power transmission grid to carry wind power to more populated areas defies basic laws of physics. The longer the transmission path, the less efficient it is due to resistance from the long path. So a large portion of the wind generated power simply goes to waste over the long transmission lines.
I just saw this and thought I'd comment. Some valid points, but also some misconceptions. Most of the on shore wind resource of this country is in the plains states. Those areas have modest population and even more modest transmission line infrastructure. One of the industry’s and Obama's significant initiatives is to build out the transmission line infrastructure of the country. From an electrical transmission standpoint it's like we are back in the 1950s before the interstate highway system had been built. It's not that you can't move electricity over long distances, it's that you can't move it over inadequate infrastructure.

There are several plans to accomplish this; American Electric Power has published a fairly simple and straightforward approach of building a 19,000 mile 765 kV backbone that would be exclusively and federal jurisdictional effort. Their estimate is that it would cost about $60 Billion, which is very modest compared to the asset base of the utility industry. It will require a change in the way we site transmission lines. We will need to use federal jurisdiction like we do with natural gas pipelines.

http://www.aep.com/about/i765project...WhitePaper.pdf

Old 01-03-2009, 01:30 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
LOL... $60 billion and who pays for the cost overruns? Please... $60 billion? You aren't fooling anyone... if they are going to outright lie about it (among other things)... at least make it a believable lie....

Old 01-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
LOL... $60 billion and who pays for the cost overruns? Please... $60 billion? You aren't fooling anyone... if they are going to outright lie about it (among other things)... at least make it a believable lie....
I can provide you of the address for American Electric Power. It's their estimate. BTW they are one of the largest coal burning utilities in the country and have the most experience in building 765kV transmission lines.

What exactly are your qualifications? Pretty nonexistent would be my bet.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:28 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I just want you to show the post to your boss, but my guess is that he won't have a clue either.

You didn't answer the question.... What do you actually do? Accounting? Human resources? Manager of the print shop?

To answer your question. Wind turbines, and most other generators on a system don't maintain system frequency. It's maintained by a selected set of units that have speed droop. It's controlled at a system level not a generating unit level.

Capacitors are installed to provide reactive power and return the power factor to unity. It has nothing to do with power quality. Check with your engineers they will explain the difference between power factor and power quality.

You have got to be kidding me right? Every generator I operate has to maintain frequency. Yes some units have more governor droop set then others but that only effects which one swings first.
Here's my work number 507- 292-6455 I'll have the COO and Engineering Dept head there a 0900 on Monday. I will also add some MORE links regarding VAR and Power Factor control. Since you did not take time to read the links I posted previously

P.S. If you can read, page 4 has a excellent explanation of the lack of reactive power from wind power...
http://www.nrel.gov/wind/pdfs/39183.pdf

paragraph 3-6 (older but accurate)
NWCC Wind Energy Issue Brief No. 9b (http://www.nationalwind.org/publications/wes/ibrief09b.htm - broken link)

Read the whole thing but pay close to the last few sentences on paragraph The synchronous generator's output frequency is directly proportional to the speed of the rotor, and the speed of the generator rotor is held constant by a speed governor system associated with the steam turbine. (Rotor speed is only altered by fuel flow be it steam,diesel,natural gas.)
Steam electric generator: Definition from Answers.com

P. P.S.
Since you seemed to ignore my challange here are some of the links that mention me by name....
www.moraminn.com

http://www.kmunet.org/Dispatch/February07.pdf (broken link)

page 5 even has a pic...
http://www.smmpa.com/upload/Annual%20Report%202000.pdf
pg6 has a nice pic of our coal plant....
http://www.smmpa.com/upload/Annual%20Report%202006.pdf

Old 01-03-2009, 06:06 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I can provide you of the address for American Electric Power. It's their estimate. BTW they are one of the largest coal burning utilities in the country and have the most experience in building 765kV transmission lines.

What exactly are your qualifications? Pretty nonexistent would be my bet.
If you understood more about business and less about ideology, you might understand a lot more... everyone underestimates their budget and AEP is no exception, they want the grant and they want the money... they can build a billion transmission lines and STILL lie about what it really costs... I wonder how many bridges, roads, and highways have been overbudget... these by people who build them on a regular basis... I suppose their qualifications allow them to lie about it? Please... 60 billion? In your dreams.. Just because someone gave a really bad estimate doesn't mean they are going to be left holding the bag when the process starts... and I challenge you to hold ANY contractor liable for any cost overruns... ain't going to happen, not when building homes, commercial buildings, roads... or in your case, transmission lines...

Old 01-03-2009, 06:15 PM

65 posts, read 251,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zionvier View Post
OUCH! I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to drop my energy use to decrease my bill and it's only $56/month ( $0.1069/kwh )... My bill would be $254.88 if I was living in HI. OUCH! that's a decent car payment. There's got to be money to be made in HI in the energy market if that's the case.
Yeah? You are getting of CHEAP. Try it in Connecticut. Rate 1 Tier. 19.2 cents per KWH. If I was paying 48 cents... I am sure the DPUC of CT would allow Connecticut lighten and Gouge to do it too! I would stock up on candles and tell CL&P to shove their electric meter up their anal orfice for sure! Right now I got a natural freezer right outside my kitchen door of my apartment No, they don't give us disabled people, who have heat included in our rents a break either!

Old 01-03-2009, 06:25 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
[quote=my54ford;6820095]

page 5 even has a pic...
http://www.smmpa.com/upload/Annual%20Report%202000.pdf (ftp://www.smmpa.com/upload/Annual%20Report%202006.pdf - broken link)

My bad PAGE 7

Old 01-04-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
If you understood more about business and less about ideology, you might understand a lot more... everyone underestimates their budget and AEP is no exception, they want the grant and they want the money... they can build a billion transmission lines and STILL lie about what it really costs... I wonder how many bridges, roads, and highways have been overbudget... these by people who build them on a regular basis... I suppose their qualifications allow them to lie about it? Please... 60 billion? In your dreams.. Just because someone gave a really bad estimate doesn't mean they are going to be left holding the bag when the process starts... and I challenge you to hold ANY contractor liable for any cost overruns... ain't going to happen, not when building homes, commercial buildings, roads... or in your case, transmission lines...
OK so you have no understanding of the construction business or the electric utility business. I thought I would at least check.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You have got to be kidding me right? Every generator I operate has to maintain frequency. Yes some units have more governor droop set then others but that only effects which one swings first.
Here's my work number 507- 292-6455 I'll have the COO and Engineering Dept head there a 0900 on Monday. I will also add some MORE links regarding VAR and Power Factor control. Since you did not take time to read the links I posted previously

P.S. If you can read, page 4 has a excellent explanation of the lack of reactive power from wind power...
http://www.nrel.gov/wind/pdfs/39183.pdf

paragraph 3-6 (older but accurate)
NWCC Wind Energy Issue Brief No. 9b (http://www.nationalwind.org/publications/wes/ibrief09b.htm - broken link)

Read the whole thing but pay close to the last few sentences on paragraph The synchronous generator's output frequency is directly proportional to the speed of the rotor, and the speed of the generator rotor is held constant by a speed governor system associated with the steam turbine. (Rotor speed is only altered by fuel flow be it steam,diesel,natural gas.)
Steam electric generator: Definition from Answers.com

P. P.S.
Since you seemed to ignore my challange here are some of the links that mention me by name....
www.moraminn.com

http://www.kmunet.org/Dispatch/February07.pdf (broken link)

page 5 even has a pic...
http://www.smmpa.com/upload/Annual%20Report%202000.pdf
pg6 has a nice pic of our coal plant....
http://www.smmpa.com/upload/Annual%20Report%202006.pdf
Interesting rant, but what we are interested in are your qualifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living