Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:35 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,380,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's my understanding that in CO they do take that law seriously and try enforcing it.
they most defiantly do enforce it, and the fine is not a piddly little one either. The reasoning behind the law has to do with water rights, and our lack of rainfall during the year. Colorado is a very arid state, other states have water rights to the flow from the mountain areas, so in essence you are stealing other states water if you collect it for your own. I do not agree with the law, but it is law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 07:47 PM

502 posts, read 1,729,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I live totally off the "grid". My home is totally solar powered (including cooling, pool, lighting, heating and cooling etc). I am on a well. We use cell phones for our telephone. We do use propane for our outdoor kitchen.

The cost of the system was some $75,000 to install (solar) but with the tax credits and rebates we qualified for, the net cost was around $25,000.

We have a battery backup system which we have yet to engage (except to test).
how do you do things at night when the sun is down? Solar panels don't work well at that time of day.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:05 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,122,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
how do you do things at night when the sun is down? Solar panels don't work well at that time of day.
The power is stored in a system of batteries. Then, there are the backup batteries just in case there is a long period with little sunshine. In a WORST case scenario, we have a backup generator

Old 12-18-2008, 06:48 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,278,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The power is stored in a system of batteries. Then, there are the backup batteries just in case there is a long period with little sunshine. In a WORST case scenario, we have a backup generator
In our case we also have wind power. So at night and cloudy days we hope for wind in addition to our stored power.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,122,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
In our case we also have wind power. So at night and cloudy days we hope for wind in addition to our stored power.
Wind turbines would not really work here. Besides, I personally do not like the looks of them and they would really hurt the views we have.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:36 PM

809 posts, read 2,876,030 times
i think wind turbines are pretty in their own aspect..... and if I'm living in Denver (or the outskirts) I'm sure I'll have plenty of wind :P

Old 12-18-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaruFiend View Post
i think wind turbines are pretty in their own aspect..... and if I'm living in Denver (or the outskirts) I'm sure I'll have plenty of wind :P
you would have to live in the eastern plains, the winds coming off the rockies to the west and north west is too gusty. For wind generators to be effective you need a sustained 10mph wind, the generator needs to be installed 30' above the nearest structure within 300'. Gusty wind actually produces much much less energy than a sustained wind would. The design studio I work for in Boulder Colorado has a contractor for our alternative energy requirements due to the city of boulder and boulder county requirements. We had a day long energy "meeting" with them and got tons and tons of good information on what type of alternative energy's are of best use in our state. Solar is defiantly the way to go in Colorado

Old 12-20-2008, 07:02 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,278,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
you would have to live in the eastern plains, the winds coming off the rockies to the west and north west is too gusty. For wind generators to be effective you need a sustained 10mph wind, the generator needs to be installed 30' above the nearest structure within 300'. Gusty wind actually produces much much less energy than a sustained wind would. The design studio I work for in Boulder Colorado has a contractor for our alternative energy requirements due to the city of boulder and boulder county requirements. We had a day long energy "meeting" with them and got tons and tons of good information on what type of alternative energy's are of best use in our state. Solar is defiantly the way to go in Colorado
That's good that you have that kind of help in Colorado. We have nothing like that in TN. Our wind turbines are small and they are back up power. Our house is underground(on 3 sides), our 40 acres is mostly open with perimeter trees, and we are at 3300 feet elevation. Our poles for the wind turbines are right behind the house and only 20feet. It works for us, like I said as a back up. I think a combo of solar and wind for energy is best.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That's good that you have that kind of help in Colorado. We have nothing like that in TN. Our wind turbines are small and they are back up power. Our house is underground(on 3 sides), our 40 acres is mostly open with perimeter trees, and we are at 3300 feet elevation. Our poles for the wind turbines are right behind the house and only 20feet. It works for us, like I said as a back up. I think a combo of solar and wind for energy is best.
yea, wind turbines are more backup in a residential setting than main stay. They range from 4-8kw of power.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:32 AM

20 posts, read 59,238 times
Land is a large and obvious cost, but you are right, there are frequently other large costs that are often over looked. Drilling for water is expensive, so collecting rain water is an alternative. large cisters, guttering, and other components add up quickly. Waste disposal is another large issue. Composting toilets can eliminate the need for a septic tank and lateral lines. Getting power to your property is another cost that can be outrageous. Solar, wind, and micro hydro can all supply power to your property, but none of them are cheap. You can find information on most of these topics here: Off Grid Homesteading
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living