Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 04:33 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Actually I don't see what it say that support your assertion at all. As for pages 16-18 I don't remember ever seeing anything about LVRT in your discussion, but current generation machines have LVRT. Further the author endorses the CAISO approach to imbalance, indicates that reactive power is a non issue, and that wind can be scheduled. What is it about this paper that you think is remotely critical of wind?
Have someone draw you a picture because it says pretty clearly
( comments in red are mine) As for CASIO THEY control the wind assets not the asset owner.......Note also the last line in italic If it's not blowing it's sucking if there's nothing there your windfarm in DIW. If you were on life support would youwant that power coming from a wind farm????????????

page27
[SIZE=5]CAISO is allowing monthly netting of imbalances. However, the wind plant owner must participate in a centralized wind plant output forecasting program operated by CAISO. Under this arrangement, imbalance penalties due to the intermittent nature of wind are generally negated. CAISO provides all forecasting and scheduling for the wind plants participating in this programand nets any imbalances over the course of a month.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Page2
[SIZE=5]
Conventional fossil fuel generators utilize synchronous generators. Synchronous generators provide significant advantages over induction generators. Synchronous generators allow for easy voltage and reactive power regulation along with improved stability characteristics.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5][/SIZE][SIZE=3]��[/SIZE][SIZE=5]Large utility scale wind turbines utilize induction (asynchronous) generators modified through the use of power electronics to obtain characteristics of synchronous generators. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]page18[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][SIZE=5]
Synchronous generators are able to stay on-line due to excitation of the generator from an alternate source. (A change in excitation results in a change in rotor speed (resulting in a change in phase angle)
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]this changes causes the constant speeed drive unit to add or subtract fuel in order to maintain frequency) All synchrous generators are constant RPM machines 375,450,600,720,900,1800,3600 I could do the math for you but you have a college education and should be able t determine output of these various speed machines....
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE][SIZE=4]��[/SIZE][SIZE=5]Induction generators used on wind turbines require the transmission system as a source of excitation. Momentary loss of the transmission system due to a fault will cause immediate loss of the excitation source for the turbine generator. Loss of the excitation source will cause the wind turbine generator to go off-line. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
There must be a point to this, but I'm compelled to ask, "So what?" I get 36% CF from a wind turbine and 70% from a coal fired plant. From many hydro facilities I get relatively low capacity factors too. CT often run in the 10-15% CF range. I also am not exposed to a $50-100/Ton of CO2 operating cost with a wind turbine.
OK I'll try to spell it out for you.. Capacity has VALUE. Utilities are required to have X amount capicity above thier peak load MISO/MAPP requires 13%. IF they don't own capacity they have to buy it. This capacity is determend by an annual URGE test.

Electric Power Industry--Chapter 2

If you only get 70% avaiablility I'd fire some one.......We getting 90% out our IC units PLUSS they all get 100% capicity credits

Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
When I asked the question here someone came up with molten salt as a potential storage medium..... It will be interesting to see the tech you describe take shape. Again assumeing here, but one would think the optimum places for this type system would be in Southwest part of the country.I wonder if certian factions will complain when you put X amount of acres of Arizona desert under glass???
The entire molten salt storage thing (as well as most other storage (mho) ) is the biggest PITA in the whole mix. Just make and use the stuff (electricity, that is) as it is produced. And then use Time-of-Use billing to get folks to use it when it is there -- or to pay for premium if they prefer their own schedule. Business understands that part REAL clear, and consumes accordingly.

But Yeah -- Arid-zona, Southeast California, Nevada, Parts of New Mexico and Texas are all prime ground for serious big scale production, but smaller scale can be done seasonally all across the South and up into the Midwest. Would really be a good match with Summertime Farm Irrigation and A/C all the way up to Chicago and Minn-St. Paul.

My Electrical Engineering Future Fantasy would a Coast-to-Coast Solar Thermal run along the Highway Right-of-Way across Georgia along I-20 from the East all the way out to West Texas were it switches to I-10 heading all the way California. Grid enabled highway with a 700 kV Connecting grid the whole way. Easy run for Coast-to-Coast electric (no batteries needed) vehicles, and feeders running North and South to the rest of the US, with opportunities all along the path for Mom & Pop small electric generators to feed profitability onto the Interstate Grid.

S-T power could start feeding in around 8 AM East Coast time, and run until 8 PM West Coast. No storage in there anywhere.

But we would have to Stomp on some Mighty Big Corporate Cockroaches to do such a thing, all along the way.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:02 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
( comments in red are mine) As for CASIO THEY control the wind assets not the asset owner.......Note also the last line in italic If it's not blowing it's sucking if there's nothing there your windfarm in DIW. If you were on life support would youwant that power coming from a wind farm????????????

page27
[SIZE=5]CAISO is allowing monthly netting of imbalances. However, the wind plant owner must participate in a centralized wind plant output forecasting program operated by CAISO. Under this arrangement, imbalance penalties due to the intermittent nature of wind are generally negated. CAISO provides all forecasting and scheduling for the wind plants participating in this programand nets any imbalances over the course of a month.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Page2
[SIZE=5][LEFT]Conventional fossil fuel generators utilize synchronous generators. Synchronous generators provide significant advantages over induction generators. Synchronous generators allow for easy voltage and reactive power regulation along with improved stability characteristics.[/LEFT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE][SIZE=3]��[/SIZE][SIZE=5]Large utility scale wind turbines utilize induction (asynchronous) generators modified through the use of power electronics to obtain characteristics of synchronous generators. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]page18[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][SIZE=5][LEFT]Synchronous generators are able to stay on-line due to excitation of the generator from an alternate source. (A change in excitation results in a change in rotor speed (resulting in a change in phase angle)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]this changes causes the constant speeed drive unit to add or subtract fuel in order to maintain frequency) All synchrous generators are constant RPM machines 375,450,600,720,900,1800,3600 I could do the math for you but you have a college education and should be able t determine output of these various speed machines....[/LEFT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE][SIZE=4]��[/SIZE][SIZE=5]Induction generators used on wind turbines require the transmission system as a source of excitation. Momentary loss of the transmission system due to a fault will cause immediate loss of the excitation source for the turbine generator. Loss of the excitation source will cause the wind turbine generator to go off-line. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
who can read this gibberish?

Old 01-06-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
OK I'll try to spell it out for you.. Capacity has VALUE. Utilities are required to have X amount capicity above thier peak load MISO/MAPP requires 13%. IF they don't own capacity they have to buy it. This capacity is determend by an annual URGE test.

Electric Power Industry--Chapter 2

If you only get 70% avaiablility I'd fire some one.......We getting 90% out our IC units PLUSS they all get 100% capicity credits
You don't get 90% out of a coal plant and no IC on the grid runs at 90% CF.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:01 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Quote:
S-T power could start feeding in around 8 AM East Coast time, and run until 8 PM West Coast. No storage in there anywhere.
You need grid energy storage to keep the excess energy that is produced from variable production wells (ie. wind turbines, solar etc.). In reality you need a mix of base load power of geothermal, hydro, and tidal or biomass.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:

page27
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]

Page2
[SIZE=5][LEFT]Conventional fossil fuel generators utilize synchronous generators. Synchronous generators provide significant advantages over induction generators. Synchronous generators allow for easy voltage and reactive power regulation along with improved stability characteristics.[/LEFT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]page18[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][SIZE=5][LEFT]Synchronous generators are able to stay on-line due to excitation of the generator from an alternate source. (A change in excitation results in a change in rotor speed (resulting in a change in phase angle)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]this changes causes the constant speeed drive unit to add or subtract fuel in order to maintain frequency) All synchrous generators are constant RPM machines 375,450,600,720,900,1800,3600 I could do the math for you but you have a college education and should be able t determine output of these various speed machines....[/LEFT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=5][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
It too hard to read this gobbledygook you post. Could we get clean text. without all the junk in the text?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
You need grid energy storage to keep the excess energy that is produced from variable production wells (ie. wind turbines, solar etc.). In reality you need a mix of base load power of geothermal, hydro, and tidal or biomass.
Absolutely. You want as diverse a portfolio as you can get -- technologically and geographically. We also need to get our transmission grid upgraded.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The use of pumped hydro storage allows over 70% of the energy stored at low use times to be used on demand. Almost, if not all, of the nuclear plants were teamed with a pumped hydro because nuclear plants operate at a constant output for long periods of time.

The long term storage of transuranic waste can be minimized with changes in reactor technology allowing the recycle of plutonium. By recycling and breeding more fuel than they consume fission power plants can provide electric energy for an effectively unlimited future. The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Act of the 70’s was not designed to prevent the world wide proliferation of nuclear weapons but to burden the nuclear power industry with exorbitant and unnecessary waste storage costs. Nuclear power was beginning to bite into the coal and oil market and they had to do something to stop the losses. They did by creating the myth of controlling the development of weapons technology. Interestingly enough the plutonium generated in a fission power reactor cannot be used to make bombs because it is the wrong isotope.

I would like to see a continental, including Canada and Mexico, grid connected to nuclear power for the base load with pumped hydro storage time shifting the energy also collected from solar, wind and tidal. I would like to see coal used to hold up the ground it is under (except for coking coal used to smelt iron etc) and petroleum used to provide the energy required to transition into a non fossil energy future.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:35 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
You need grid energy storage to keep the excess energy that is produced from variable production wells (ie. wind turbines, solar etc.).
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living