Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:41 PM

18,948 posts, read 43,421,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Want to make a bet on that?
The only thing coming out of an electric clothes dryer is heat, moisture, and a little lint. You probably breathe more toxic fumes from using a nonstick frying pan.

That said, I have no problem with someone having a clothes line in their backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 10:40 AM

145 posts, read 569,193 times
Yes, bleach should be outlawed. You know, when I lived in Germany, bleach *was* outlawed. While I am not sure, I think all of Europe doesn't allow bleach.

Just think about all the chemicals on your clothes; they leach into your body...just like they leach into the environment.

Can if you want...I wouldn't.

Do a little research on bleach...and the other chemicals; it will horrify you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You mean, like Laundry detergent? Or, fabric softner? Bleach?

Should these items be outlawed?

Old 01-27-2009, 11:27 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,197,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoon View Post
Can if you want...I wouldn't.

Do a little research on bleach...and the other chemicals; it will horrify you.
I do

I am not horrified. Sorry

Old 01-27-2009, 04:16 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,923,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
everyone keeps talking about how liberal ca is but they seem to be the leader in taking more and more of our rights away.

amen!!!

Old 01-27-2009, 04:34 PM

The ideas behind the Green movement aren't bogus, but I do agree that many a business is doing it out of greed. But that's the nature of Capitalism, and has nothing to do with trying to protect ourselves and the environment from potential toxins.

I am against most government regulation; not just in the Green world, but in many other areas of every day life. I think that a lot of these regulations penalize the many for the sins of the few and are geared for the government body to make money on permit fees, etc. However, I do think someone needs to protect the people and environment from corporations... so there's a bit of a dilemma there. And some people are really self-centered and do some stupid crap that literally harms everyone around them... we have to be protected from those people.

Literal harm means it does physical damage... not just offends someone. There shouldn't be laws against "unsightliness"... that's just plain stupid! What if I found churches to be unsightly... should we automatically make them illegal?! Or I was distrubed by the color blue, should everyone be banned from wearing blue or painting their house blue? It's silly and pompous crap... if it doesn't actually HARM us, then we just need to put on our Big Boy/Girl pants and deal with it!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Clothes lines are unsightly - and unnecessary.

I for one, am glad that they are just about gone!

As for composting - where I live, there are no regulations that would prohibit it. And, that is a good thing. However, due to the various "critters" that are in my area, I don't dare compost.
No my dear, clotheslines are not unsightly, and unnecessary. Remember, it's only clothes, something we all have.

Nothing is better than clothes dried on a clothesline. I would'nt even want to own a dryer, that is unnecessary!, and not to mention a waste of energy. Think "green" here.

I

Old 02-06-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
No my dear, clotheslines are not unsightly, and unnecessary. Remember, it's only clothes, something we all have.

Nothing is better than clothes dried on a clothesline. I would'nt even want to own a dryer, that is unnecessary!, and not to mention a waste of energy. Think "green" here.
Sorry but here - many consider clothes lines as unsightly. Also, many do not have room for clothes lines - they interfer with the pools and spas and outdoor kitchens.

Then, we have the climate - hanging clothes in 115 degree heat (over 100 before dawn) is not something that is very pleasant.

Nah - I'll stick with the clothes dryer. OBTW - my dryer? It's GREEN - it goes with our decor

Old 02-06-2009, 12:31 PM

Man Greatday - I'd kill to be able to hang my laundry in 115 degree heat!! Talk about fast drying!! I'm lucky if my clothes don't freeze or get rained on before they're dry.

You'd only have to be out there, what, 15 minutes or so!? Plus the evaporation from the cold wet clothes (you wash in cold water right?!) would create a lovely cool microclimate like a swamp cooler LOL

Old 02-06-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
Man Greatday - I'd kill to be able to hang my laundry in 115 degree heat!! Talk about fast drying!! I'm lucky if my clothes don't freeze or get rained on before they're dry.

You'd only have to be out there, what, 15 minutes or so!? Plus the evaporation from the cold wet clothes (you wash in cold water right?!) would create a lovely cool microclimate like a swamp cooler LOL
Actually - depending upon the clothes, I will use HOT water with a warm rinse.

Swamp coolers are VERY unpopular here - while some people have them, the majority of cooling is by refrigeration.

And while you might think 115 is "fun" or "easy", I can assure you it is not.

VERY few - VERY FEW people here hang clothes anymore.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:09 PM

I know 115 isn't fun or easy... I've spent my time in the SW, too. 115F or -70F... they're both outside the human comfort and survival zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living