Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times

Advertisements

This is why I trust very little that comes out of the media, overhyped is too small a word to say the least. As I see it you cannot trust anything reported in the media. They report bad news and that is it and apprently in this case the "jouranalist" is making stuff up...

FOXNews.com - Scientists Call AP Report on Global Warming 'Hysteria' - Science News | Science & Technology | Technology News
Quote:
Scientists skeptical of the assertion that climate change is the result of man's activites are criticizing a recent Associated Press report on global warming, calling it "irrational hysteria," "horrifically bad" and "incredibly biased."

They say the report, which was published on Monday, contained sweeping scientific errors and was a one-sided portrayal of a complicated issue.
"If the issues weren't so serious and the ramifications so profound, I would have to laugh at it," said David Deming, a geology professor at the University of Oklahoma who has been critical of media reporting on the climate change issue.

In the article, Obama Left with Little Time to Curb Global Warming, AP Science Writer Seth Borenstein wrote that global warming is "a ticking time bomb that President-elect Barack Obama can't avoid," and that "global warming is accelerating."

Deming, in an interview, took issue with Borenstein's characterization of a problem he says doesn't exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,792,249 times
I was going to read it until I saw it was from Foxnews.com

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Such news this is - a reporter writes a story about anthropogenic global warming and the usual deniers line up to denounce it.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 AM

Yep, the truth is something we rather ignore sometimes. Here's your chance justify the inaccuracies in the AP article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Such news this is - a reporter writes a story about anthropogenic global warming and the usual deniers line up to denounce it.
When the report has as many blatant inaccuracies and the reporter is using the media to further his own agenda then we should hope someone steps forward to point it out. This article like many of the others put forth by most of the main stream media outlets is clearly bias. Reporters are supposed to report the news not make it.

I don't know about you when but when I read an article in the news I want facts, I don't want spin and I most certainly do want to the read authors personal views unless its marked as an editorial.

Last edited by thecoalman; 12-17-2008 at 10:34 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 10:31 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,835,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yep, the truth is something we rather ignore sometimes. Here's your chance justify the inaccuracies in the AP article.
I'm not interested in an AP article - I follow the technical journals.

Journal of Climate
Journal of Hydrology (being a geologist/hydrologist this one in my favorite)
International Journal of Global Warming
Journal of Geophysical Research
and abstracts from some glaciology journals

and the last place on earth I expect facts from is FOX News.

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 12-17-2008 at 10:42 AM..

Old 12-17-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I'm not interested in an AP article - I follow the technical journals.
That's wonderful but most people get their information about global Warming from the newspaper and are fed a bunch of hyped up lies like this article contains. That article was probably read by millions of people yesterday.

The same reporter has done it in the past:

Utilities Paying Global Warming Skeptic, Utilities Giving Big Bucks to Global Warming Skeptic - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/27/ap/tech/mainD8J4GH300.shtml - broken link)

Quote:
AP) Coal-burning utilities are passing the hat for one of the few remaining scientists skeptical of the global warming harm caused by industries that burn fossil fuels.

One of the few remaining? Is that a joke? There's thousands of them manuy of whom are leaders in their fields. The "consensus" that is often quoted in media articles is most definitely not a consensus.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
But I hear the temperature for 2008 as released by scientist was colder thus far in 2008 and not expected to change much.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:42 PM

Yep and arctic ice at the height of the melting season increased since 2007 but you won't hear a word of it in the main stream press except for some short blurbs here and there and maybe a article on page 57 of the newspaper between the funnies and the obituaries.

One of the opposing theories is we are now entering a cooling phase that will be capped by cold weather in thirty years like we had in the 70's. They can recycle this article.

Another Ice Age? - TIME

Matter of fact they could just recycle it every 30 years and exchange the words heat with cooling and vice versa when appropriate.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:43 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
There was a recent news story in which the reporter tried to say all this artic weather is further proof of global warming.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Snow on the ground in Las Vegas. Tell us about global warming Al Gore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living