Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,944,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The thing that you will most likely sacrifice with an off grid application is the reliability of the grid. It's about three to six 9s in reliability depending upon where you live.
Yes, there will be some reliability issues with off-grid, but what I hear from the locals it's about the same as the utility company in that area LOL! I think having a net-metered system in an urban/semi-rural setting would be ideal for most people.

Quote:
We are getting closer, but I suspect your system will cost more than 7 ¢/kWh all in. PV cells are expected to drop substantially in price over the next couple of years.
The prices are already dropping now, and the technology is improving (more Watts per surface collection. That combo is going to be wonderful news! New battery & wind turbine tech is also going to help a lot.

Quote:
Few options with a poor utility. Mine drives me crazy, because I know what is doable.
When I last lived in the boonies our utility company was practically useless. We'd have power outages at least once a month, their customer service really sucked, and it was mighty expensive juice, too. But when they have you by the short hairs, there isn't much you can do about it. Perhaps that's why home power systems are so appealing to me -- bucking the established monopoly has it's charm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 05:58 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
Default I go fishing and see what happens!!!

Quote:
There are maximums available -- that's the Cap. As far as I know a company can meet it's full obligation by buying offsets. What that means is that someone reduced their output enough to balance out the company that did nothing.
Bull, more disinformation from some unknown who claims to be an expert.!!
It just means you had to buy credits from someone who has them.
Check out CCX site, look at offset project types. All kinds of things that do not reduce emmisions from power plants Credits are being created right now to be used years down the road

Agricultural Methane Emission Offsets

Old 01-24-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
They don't really need to innovative or respond fast to changing circumstances. Most all power companies have a monopoly on the local/regional level.
Not really, you have every right to make your own energy. Nobody forces you to buy from the local utility. Call them I'm sue they would be happy to pull your meter....

Old 01-24-2009, 06:13 AM

1,009 posts, read 874,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Not really, you have every right to make your own energy. Nobody forces you to buy from the local utility. Call them I'm sue they would be happy to pull your meter....

Make my own energy with what? Do you think there is any easy way for an individual in a built-up area to handle his own energy in a cheap and environmentally friendly fashion?

Old 01-24-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
You don't understand utility rate regulation. Politicians actually have very little to do with this. Hang in there with things you really understand like anthracite boilers.
Since I like to bash my head against the wall I'll reply.. What do you think the State PUC is made up by? POLITICIANS... IO rates are set in the backrooms and always result in pain for the rate payer.......

Old 01-24-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Make my own energy with what? Do you think there is any easy way for an individual in a built-up area to handle his own energy in a cheap and environmentally friendly fashion?
Ask rlchurch He seems to have all the magic answers but I agree with you. You cannot do it any cheaper then the utility. However this is just what certian factions want you to do. Pay more for something that does work as well as what you get today....

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
I know a housing cooperative in New York City that is completely off the grid and saves money by doing so, You have to work at it though.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Ask rlchurch He seems to have all the magic answers but I agree with you. You cannot do it any cheaper then the utility. However this is just what certian factions want you to do. Pay more for something that does work as well as what you get today....
At the moment, no you can't do it any cheaper. BUT many people can do it themselves without paying taxes, fees and surcharges or being at the whim of a corporation. Plus they know exactly how and where their power is coming from (if they're concerned about such things).

Living in an apartment in the city, especially without a southern exposure or adequate clearance from surrounding buildings, does make it difficult for an individual to do it themselves... but the apartment complex could certainly install some PV or wind collection on net-meter to offset the grid power used by the inhabitants.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:47 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
At the moment, no you can't do it any cheaper. BUT many people can do it themselves without paying taxes, fees and surcharges or being at the whim of a corporation. Plus they know exactly how and where their power is coming from (if they're concerned about such things).

Living in an apartment in the city, especially without a southern exposure or adequate clearance from surrounding buildings, does make it difficult for an individual to do it themselves... but the apartment complex could certainly install some PV or wind collection on net-meter to offset the grid power used by the inhabitants.
The discouraging aspect of net metering is that the distribution system has to be upgraded to accomodate it and many electric utilities are hopelessly mired in central station power dogma. They just don't get it when it comes to distributed generation. Many are like the old mainframe computer companies, stuck in the past and unable to adapt.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:23 AM

It's unfortunate that so many companies become cumbersome leviathans. Even without resorting to hypothetical numbers, you can imagine how much power can be generated from individual power systems which would result in reducing the amount required from the central station (and, subsequently, the possibility of reduced emmissions, resources, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living