U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-27-2009, 02:34 AM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
29,016 posts, read 50,177,894 times
Reputation: 21192

Advertisements

EL CERRITO, Calif. — When the hatch popped open on Louis Cornelius' SUV, there were four TVs piled up in the back, all destined for recycling. "My wife wanted to be up to date on the electronics," he says.


Old TVs cause new problems - USATODAY.com
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 AM
 
2,255 posts, read 5,057,359 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
EL CERRITO, Calif. — When the hatch popped open on Louis Cornelius' SUV, there were four TVs piled up in the back, all destined for recycling. "My wife wanted to be up to date on the electronics," he says.


Old TVs cause new problems - USATODAY.com
Here's the reality of how it's being dealt with by the ECO-Conscious-ECO-Green industrialized nations who've been expoiting our planet's 3rd world developing nations for centuries.

The European Union has rules against dumping e-waste inside the European Union. Their solution is to pay off African Officials & dump it in Nigeria and other African countries and let them deal with the consequences. The United States sends their e-waste to China to be dumped in towns of Southern China and also areas in the middle of nowhere in western Chinese desert areas. Most all of these industrial nations say they have laws against such payments to these countries, but funny how it still gets there in such massive quantities.

DanWatch - European electronic waste in Ghana and Nigeria

Following The Trail Of Toxic E-Waste, 60 Minutes Follows America's Toxic Electronic Waste As It Is Illegally Shipped To Become China's Dirty Secret - CBS News

Bottom line ???? There never will be an answer as long as GREED is the great motivator !!!

Last edited by bluepacific; 01-27-2009 at 03:47 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Harrisonville
1,831 posts, read 2,202,001 times
Reputation: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Here's the reality of how it's being dealt with by the ECO-Conscious-ECO-Green industrialized nations who've been expoiting our planet's 3rd world developing nations for centuries.

The European Union has rules against dumping e-waste inside the European Union. Their solution is to pay off African Officials & dump it in Nigeria and other African countries and let them deal with the consequences. The United States sends their e-waste to China to be dumped in towns of Southern China and also areas in the middle of nowhere in western Chinese desert areas. Most all of these industrial nations say they have laws against such payments to these countries, but funny how it still gets there in such massive quantities.

DanWatch - European electronic waste in Ghana and Nigeria

Following The Trail Of Toxic E-Waste, 60 Minutes Follows America's Toxic Electronic Waste As It Is Illegally Shipped To Become China's Dirty Secret - CBS News

Bottom line ???? There never will be an answer as long as GREED is the great motivator !!!


Quote:
The European Union has rules against dumping e-waste inside the European Union. Their solution is to pay off African Officials & dump it in Nigeria and other African countries and let them deal with the consequences. The United States sends their e-waste to China to be dumped in towns of Southern China and also areas in the middle of nowhere in western Chinese desert areas. Most all of these industrial nations say they have laws against such payments to these countries, but funny how it still gets there in such massive quantities.


This sounds like the USA 30 years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2009, 02:00 AM
 
41,823 posts, read 44,890,721 times
Reputation: 17745
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
The United States sends their e-waste to China to be dumped in towns of Southern China and also areas in the middle of nowhere in western Chinese desert areas.
They BUY that material because it has value and they need the resources. Matter of fact there is all kinds of recycled material shipped to China and other destinations.

How they handle it after it gets there is the responsibility of China or whatever destination it's going to.

On a similar topic something I find quite humorous is apparently people in California pay a special tax on white goods for disposal when they are no longer useful? Locally here you can fill up a truck and get paid for it, these things all have value... even cardboard. Not so much now with the economy but it's still worth something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 01:53 PM
 
Location: Orlando, Florida
43,856 posts, read 46,313,119 times
Reputation: 58669
I was wondering when the constant need for new 'electronics' was going to catch up with us....and our land fills.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 05:05 PM
 
41,823 posts, read 44,890,721 times
Reputation: 17745
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I was wondering when the constant need for new 'electronics' was going to catch up with us....and our land fills.
Computer boards and other electronics have quite a bit of value for recycling because they contain a lot of precious metals like gold. These things do not need to be thrown away, you only need someone to collect them into large quantities and someone to recycle them responsibly. The issue with China is because of their lax environmental laws and enforcement it's very lucrative for a company in China to import the material and "recycle" it there as opposed to buying the raw material on the open market.

It all has value, locally where I live if you loaded up truck with a bunch of stoves and took them to the scrap collector they will pay you for this material. You don't have to pay someone to dispose of car, you can get paid for it. You might only get a few bucks for truckload of stoves and it depends on what the market it is but nonetheless its worth something.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top