Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:41 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
There goes any creditability you might have had...
The truth is offensive yo many Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 03:25 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The truth is offensive yo many Republican.

i'm sorry rlchurch but no environmentalist worth his salt can respect al 'airmiles' gore! i find it highly hypocritical that he flies everywhere, and generally on private jets! his house uses 10 times the average households energy and his party is doing everything they can to stimulate consumption. i have heard all the arguments. his house doubles as an office, he's done more good than harm blah blah blah. his lifestyle's energy consumption is inexcusable. as the old saying goes......

if you live in a glass house, .........

Old 03-08-2009, 10:21 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times

This is the biggest con game of the environmental movement. Either you need to reduce greenhouse gasses or you don't. Paying for credit is like saying "I'm rich. I can do whatever I want as long as the little people conserve. This is a scheme to make Al Gore types rich. These costs will be passed on to consumers and Obama knows it.

"A “cap-and-trade system” would be created, under which the government would place a cap, or limit, on the total amount of greenhouse gasses that can be emitted. Companies that need to exceed their allotted level must buy offsetting permits from those that emit less."

Old 03-08-2009, 01:02 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Ok so if a company goes green then they reduce their carbon footprint or eliminate it and there would be no payment. Seems the gov would want us not to go green if you base their motivation on money. Then you have a way for a company to protect the globe and not pay these fees... seems like a good approach. Why is there a rub here?
If it were me any company wanting bailout money would be required to be green... that means the car companies could not produce a gas burning car.... sounds like a great way to convert quickly.
everytime I see the trees sway I wish I had a wind generator on my house. next spare 16k goes towards it.
The government never moves logically, they tell us to conserve energy and drive less, now they are freaking out because we are driving less and they are receiving less tax dollars because of that.

Boulder Colorado has the STRICTEST energy policy in the US, and we are noticing the effects here. Home prices in the Boulder area are going to skyrocket. They have a sudo cap and trade program in effect when it comes to new construction or renovations, if you reach the threshold you must by TDC's, these TDC's allow you to add an extra 500 sqft to your house. We have one client that is having to buy an amazing $200,000 in TDC's to have 1500 sqft over his threshold. Where do you think this price is going to be moved? yea to the sale of the house. To add more to this already insane price increase. Boulder's energy policy adds that if you have a house at one of the several thresholds, you want to re drywall a home, or add 1sf. You must bring the entire home up to a very strict HERS energy rating. This could literally cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars to do on an existing home for a very small benefit. One client we have decided to go for it, built a 6000sf. home which was WAY over the last threshold at 4500sf. His home which before this energy policy was put into place would have been a mill. dollar house, is now 450-500k MORE to build due to him having to bring the home below a HERS 9 rating (90% better than 2006 IECC code) or 9% away from being a NET 0 (completely self sustaining). We all want inexpensive housing, but the Cap and trade program along with these energy policy's enacted will not allow that to happen. I am all for alternative energy usage, I have designed many "green" homes and they are amazing once they are done, but hurting peoples pocket books to force this way of life on people will not make it happen. Giving incentives to be "green" is the way to go (tax breaks for reaching a certain threshold and still being under energy usage at that threshold)

Old 03-08-2009, 01:20 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,402 times
Wink Good Thinking Sterlinggirl!!!!!

It is refreshing to see a person whom has an inquisitive mind and does not drink the Jim Jones Kool Aid!

We have on this board so many fakes and what I define as Sheeple, those who follow the left wing herd mentality!

We even have some who are faking their credentials to trump up the nonsense they spew out on this board!

Anyone who really believes or endorses this Carbon Credit Scam and Hijack IMHO is a very sorry case!

Old 03-08-2009, 02:37 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
To add more to this already insane price increase. Boulder's energy policy adds that if you have a house at one of the several thresholds, you want to re drywall a home, or add 1sf. You must bring the entire home up to a very strict HERS energy rating. This could literally cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars to do on an existing home for a very small benefit.
Those types of policies are the very worst because it could force some people simply not to do anything. The same thing happens with EPA regulations on coal plants. There was piece on 60 minutes a few years back when they first went in place about coal plant in Florida. They wanted to upgrade a few things that would have improved efficieny thereby reducing emissions and giving the consumer a lower cost, sounds like a great idea right? Because of EPA regualtions that dicated all the other things they had to upgrade it was cost prohibitive so they simply did nothing.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:41 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Those types of policies are the very worst because it could force some people simply not to do anything. The same thing happens with EPA regulations on coal plants. There was piece on 60 minutes a few years back when they first went in place about coal plant in Florida. They wanted to upgrade a few things that would have improved efficieny thereby reducing emissions and giving the consumer a lower cost, sounds like a great idea right? Because of EPA regualtions that dicated all the other things they had to upgrade it was cost prohibitive so they simply did nothing.
and we are noticing the effects now. As of today, there have been 3 homes over the 4500 sqft. threshold built, we did one of them. The building department is sitting twiddling its thumbs due to the lack of permit applications for things even as simple as deck additions since it causes perforations within the exterior of the house to mount ledgers and such. Home sales in boulder County have tanked in the past few months not only because of the recession, but due to the restrictions. Several Clients we have, have bought land just outside of the city and county where the regulations do not effect them, simply because they could not afford to build what they wanted to literally several hundred feet away.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:26 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i'm sorry rlchurch but no environmentalist worth his salt can respect al 'airmiles' gore! i find it highly hypocritical that he flies everywhere, and generally on private jets! his house uses 10 times the average households energy and his party is doing everything they can to stimulate consumption. i have heard all the arguments. his house doubles as an office, he's done more good than harm blah blah blah. his lifestyle's energy consumption is inexcusable. as the old saying goes......

The only people who ever even mention Vice President Gore on this forum are the Rwers who want to deny the science of Global Climate change. I frankly don't care what Gore does. He not a scientist he's a politician trying to put pressure on other politicians to do something about climate change. Good luck to him. But so what?

Old 03-08-2009, 05:06 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,402 times
Smile No Credible Scientific Evidence Supports Anthropogenic Global Warming

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post

58robbo, sad to say but there are many who obsess with the mantra of Pop Culture Icons like Obama & Gore. Herd mentality always results in a grave self destructive path which unfortunately spills over and affects all of us.

Gore is a Total hypocrite and so are many of his supporters. However there are some of his supporters that just like drinking that Kool Aid! Anyway, hang in there, as Mother Nature does not lie and will eventually shut Gore's filthy trap!

Old 03-08-2009, 05:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
He not a scientist he's a politician trying to put pressure on other politicians to do something about climate change. Good luck to him. But so what?
The so what is that he's the poster boy for the environmentalist movement and frankly I think he's more of hindrance than an asset to it, every time he opens his mouth the people that oppose his views are secretly cheering him on. His actions and you or anyone else trying to defend them are hypocritical and are certainly not winning any brownie points from me or anyone else that has half a brain in their head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living