Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:44 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times

Advertisements

People who look for a "bugout" location appear to me to be cowards who would rather stick their head in a hole like an ostrich rather than fight for their rights and freedom. Moderator cut: No personal attacks or insults

Last edited by vec101; 03-04-2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: See Terms of Service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 03:12 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
A bugout location or a last stand location should be as far from populated areas as possible and have the ability to provide all/most your food, water and shelter. It also needs to be defensible.

As for people who are bugging out being cowards... horse-puckey! Once all the unprepared people in the urban centers go crazy and turn into mobbing hordes, martial law is declared, foreign and domestic wars are fought, and the pandemics break out... all those people who bunkered down will be the only ones left to come back and re-establish civilization. They're going to be fighting everyday just to stay alive on their own, even before the easy resources, utilities and government hand-outs stop rolling in. It takes a lot of work and courage to provide for yourself without a safety net.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:22 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times
If I need to leave I'd just mosey down to the sailboat and throw off the docklines. I've got a lot of relaxed options at that point and I don't have to worry about all the gun nuts.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
A bugout location or a last stand location should be as far from populated areas as possible and have the ability to provide all/most your food, water and shelter. It also needs to be defensible.
It takes time, effort, cash, and planning to bring a location up to being capable of: "provide all/most your food, water and shelter. It also needs to be defensible"

We have been here doing it full time for 3 years.

We are not done yet.

If we had arrived, and needed this property to provide us food, water, shelter and to be defensible on day 1; we would have failed.

It takes a lot to bring a place up to the capability of doing all that.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I just thought it made good sense, instead of a "bugout" place, to have a "last stand" place. We moved to where the food was, where no interstates are, where nothing to attract tourists, developers, or those who need endless entertainment exists. We can build what we want, plant what we want, have whatever animals, etc we want, and no one says a word, because they have their own places to worry about. If the SHTF next week, next year, or never, we still have what we want, in a place we won't mind dying - tomorrow or 50 years from now. We are 'hiding in plain sight' - which is better than ending up as another Ruby Ridge, tempting some bureaucrat to enhance their 'rep' or climb even higher, by 'proving' that we are bad evil naughty people who must be brought into line. Where we live, everyone lives like this. Shrug.
On some forums what you have is called a "doomstead"

Old 03-05-2009, 07:43 AM

37 posts, read 106,928 times
If you read BackWoodsHome.com forums, then you would be making the place you are now the "bug out" place.

Another good "bug out" site is TransitionTowns.org where in the UK they are promoting all communities to become resilient places and their own local food source.

They promote permaculture food production. Another favorite site of mine is MyBackAckers.com for total independent farm living. They have a few ideas not found elsewhere, like making your own freezer room and describes a little about methane gas digesting from your toilet.

And, a must see is The Path to Freedom on youtube. These people grow food for themselves and in excess on less than 1/4 acre. I would do things a little differently and add some grass for food for all the animals they have between the gardens but it's amazing how much they produce!

Better to get your "bug out" place as soon as possible as you want to stay ahead of the crowd. Most people who already have bug out places will not be welcoming strangers in time of a crisis. And, you will need to do a few trial runs to make sure you really are prepared - like trying to "live by your own hand" for at least a month. That means no power - no gas - no buying store bought food. This is the part you will continually tweek to perfection.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latania View Post
If you read BackWoodsHome.com forums, then you would be making the place you are now the "bug out" place.
I am on there too, as is my Dw.

'Homesteadintoday.com"

"homesteadfriends.com"

"Life on the homestead" [eastcherokee.proboards58.com]

"forums.homestead.org"

Quote:
... And, you will need to do a few trial runs to make sure you really are prepared - like trying to "live by your own hand" for at least a month. That means no power - no gas - no buying store bought food. This is the part you will continually tweek to perfection.
Great idea!

It takes many trials.

A month of food saved up does not feed you indefinitely.

To produce food sustainably takes doing it over and over again, before it is finally tweaked.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 AM

4,731 posts, read 9,946,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
It takes time, effort, cash, and planning to bring a location up to being capable of: "provide all/most your food, water and shelter. It also needs to be defensible"

We are not done yet.

If we had arrived, and needed this property to provide us food, water, shelter and to be defensible on day 1; we would have failed.

I totally agree. If someone believes that there is a need to bugout, they need to start planning and acting now. Find the location and start building it up as soon as possible. It takes at least a year to get a garden to provide even some of your food for part of the year, so it's a good idea to have at least a year's food supply stocked away. You need to know how to hunt, trap and fish. You need to know what wild plants are edible, where to find them, and how to collect and prepare them. You need to know how to preserve your food so you can stretch summer's bounty through the whole year. You need to understand good animal husbandry if you're going to have livestock and you need to start collecting your stock if you're going to use your own animals for meat, eggs, and dairy.

These were things most people used to know, but now seem to be forgotten arts for the most part. If you're planning to just bugout and miraculously find Nirvana to survive in, you're in for a rude awakening.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I totally agree. If someone believes that there is a need to bugout, they need to start planning and acting now. Find the location and start building it up as soon as possible. It takes at least a year to get a garden to provide even some of your food for part of the year,
Converting forest to garden has been a major difficulty. Buried rocks, logs and tree roots have destroyed two rototillers. Nice 7 Hp rear-tine self-propelled rototillers now with stripped transmissions.

One year the weekly rains kept our garden area submerged.

This past year was a 'dry' year, until fall. It got so wet during the fall that our beans were sprouting while still in their pods on the bushes.

We have gone to raised-beds and greenhouses.

But it takes a few years of experimentation to find what works for a given area.

You can not just go somewhere and expect that one year later you will produce a harvest.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

We are not done yet.

I agree. My ancestors started here in 1757 and I am still working on the big plan. Granted I don't have the 100,000 acres they started out with, so the scope is a bit easier, but I still got along ways to go to make this place hospitable for my daughter's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living