Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 03:15 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,945,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Converting forest to garden has been a major difficulty. Buried rocks, logs and tree roots have destroyed two rototillers. Nice 7 Hp rear-tine self-propelled rototillers now with stripped transmissions.

One year the weekly rains kept our garden area submerged.

This past year was a 'dry' year, until fall. It got so wet during the fall that our beans were sprouting while still in their pods on the bushes.

We have gone to raised-beds and greenhouses.

But it takes a few years of experimentation to find what works for a given area.

You can not just go somewhere and expect that one year later you will produce a harvest.
I totally agree. "It takes at least a year to get a garden to provide even some of your food for part of the year."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:40 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Stumbled across this site - know nothing about it but it looked like it listed various farming land, rural property, etc. for sell or wanted to buy.
http://www.agriseek.com/buy-sell/e/Property/z/USA/

Old 03-08-2009, 08:49 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
If I need to leave I'd just mosey down to the sailboat and throw off the docklines. I've got a lot of relaxed options at that point and I don't have to worry about all the gun nuts.
I used to live on a 30 foot sailboat and always thought that If a person wanted to run away from revolutionary fighting that the boat would not be a very safe place to be. First off sailboats are slow and there would be lots of pirate types in speed-boats looking to take your food, water, supplies, tools, your life and your wife. You wouldn't last long without guns. But then again when you call people who use, collect, and like to own guns "gun nuts" it makes me not really care what happens to you.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 AM

I have some friends who have the "boat" plan as well. It has its merits, you're less likely to get mobbed if you can evade pirates; but the negatives are too high for me -- no/minimal space to grow food or keep livestock, limited water supply are at the top. Besides, you still have to find a harborage to come ashore to restock... and the local "gun nuts" will more than likely be keeping a close eye on those. If you've ever been in a bad storm on sea, you know it's much scarier and more life-threatening than being in a bad storm on land. I've been through a hurricane both ways, and I definitely think land was safer even if the storm is worse.

I think the boat idea would really only be the best idea in a situation where there the seas rose and there was global flooding... like "Waterworld" or something.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:19 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,687,536 times
Land + tornado = basement in which to protect oneself.
Land + lots of folks looking to rob rape and murder = a place to store guns and ammo.
Land + seeds = self subsistence
Land + animals = a place to put the poop and hang the meat

Water + tornado = no place to run
Water + lots of folks loking to rob rape and murder = easily found and easily hunted.
Water + seeds = no food
Water + animals = nothing to eat but fish - if you are lucky

Yep, I'm one of those horrible gun nuts who has a freezer full of deer and turkey, and who doesn't worry about trespassers. 51 YOA and a dead shot, a gardener, a canner, a smoker, a dehydrator, a producer of green and meaty things. Those on boats can sail away and never be heard from again - or can have their boats found drifting, empty or bloodspattered or burned. Shrug. Me, I believe in the old Norse legend that says you get a better place in Heaven the more enemies you take with you. Meantime, I'm going to sit right here and use my muscles and talents to produce and keep me alive, no matter what the rest of the world decides.

PS hello forest beekeeper! Nice to see you on this forum too... grin.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:48 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,402 times
Wink SCGranny you are my deffinition of a perfect 10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Land + lots of folks looking to rob rape and murder = a place to store guns and ammo.

Water + lots of folks loking to rob rape and murder = easily found and easily hunted.
Water + seeds = no food

Yep, I'm one of those horrible gun nuts who has a freezer full of deer and turkey, and who doesn't worry about trespassers. 51 YOA and a dead shot, a gardener, a canner, a smoker, a dehydrator, a producer of green and meaty things. Those on boats can sail away and never be heard from again - or can have their boats found drifting, empty or bloodspattered or burned. Shrug. Me, I believe in the old Norse legend that says you get a better place in Heaven the more enemies you take with you. Meantime, I'm going to sit right here and use my muscles and talents to produce and keep me alive, no matter what the rest of the world decides.

IMHO SCGranny, you have it all! I hope you produced an abundant offspring, as we need more prototypes like you!

Old 03-08-2009, 04:44 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:

Water + seeds = no food

Nice

Old 03-08-2009, 08:41 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I think the boat idea would really only be the best idea in a situation where there the seas rose and there was global flooding... like "Waterworld" or something.
I quess I should starting designing my ARK ! The guest list will be by "invitation only" ! Launch date will be in 2012.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Me, I believe in the old Norse legend that says you get a better place in Heaven the more enemies you take with you. Meantime, I'm going to sit right here and use my muscles and talents to produce and keep me alive, no matter what the rest of the world decides.
Woot! You and me both Granny!!

Old 03-09-2009, 07:52 AM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
... I believe in the old Norse legend that says you get a better place in Heaven the more enemies you take with you. ...

Change 'enemy' to 'infidels' and you have islam.

Cool, I missed that portion of your post when I first read it

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living