Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 11:43 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about a good "bugout" location in case Chicken Little is right and there's blood in the streets. Low priced land, low population density, access to water and power are priorities. Western NM and northern NV seem like good locations. It's dry but there is enough water and land is cheap. Getting a piece of land for $3-5k near Ely or Elko and putting a cheap mobile on it for $6-10k plus well, water, propane & a few PV panels for $5-10k seems like a good way to set up a cheap home base. Water's not a problem in southwest WA and winters are not unbearable but land is more expensive. Then there's Hawaii! AHHH, nothing better than a tropical paradise to ride out the apocalypse! Some rural areas have very reasonably priced land and at the higher elevations the climate is ideal! I hope I can fit my big screen TV on the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 03:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I'd imagine no where. If for example a couple million people are starving in New York do you really think they are going to stay there with no resources?

Old 03-01-2009, 03:53 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
What are you going to eat? You can't exactly farm in a desert...

Old 03-01-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd imagine no where. If for example a couple million people are starving in New York do you really think they are going to stay there with no resources?
They're not likely to commute to NM or NV.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What are you going to eat? You can't exactly farm in a desert...
Sure you can: Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond by Brad Lancaster. Just a matter of being frugal and digging deep.

--
Don't steal because there's nothing left to steal. The right wing neo-con corporate wh@res and war profiteers stole it all.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:18 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Default Already bugged out, to Maine

Already bugged out to Maine. It takes time, we are becoming more self reliant each year.

I see land selling for $300/acre. Taxes are $1.05 / acre. Dense forest with lots of water.

I bought river frontage forest land, I paid $900/acre.

Most townships around us have densities running 8 to 10 people per square mile.

We have chickens, sheep and goats running free range in the forest. And an abundance of moose, deer, and wild turkey.

Our raised beds are producing veggies, and each year we plant more fruit orchard in forest clearings.

And yet we are near the freeway and 20 miles from a city with ready access to hospitals, universities, airports, and shopping [Bangor].

Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
Don't tell anyone where your bugout location is.

They will come.

And you will have to bugout again.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:21 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
C-D IS my bugout location!

Old 03-02-2009, 12:44 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Don't steal because there's nothing left to steal. The right wing neo-con corporate wh@res and war profiteers stole it all.
Yea right ! Proove it please, and can you name these people ? What exactly did they steal ?

Old 03-03-2009, 06:04 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Just a thought...
D'ya know why the interstates were intitially built? So that the large military transport airplanes could land and takeoff if and when necessary in the event of a Cold War attack.

I used to live right next to the I-95 Corridor, and even in a rural setting much of the crime - especially violent crime - came from folks traveling up and down the interstate. During any catastrophe - hurricanes down south, heavy ice and snowstorms up north - the Interstates were packed, "wall to wall and 10 feet tall". They were not all innocent refugees in flight, either.

A "bugout" place has to be where you can find readily available shelter, food, water, and supplies, or make/grow them yourself. I know a lot of people who think that they have 'bugout' places - but in the event of a catastrophe are still dependent on stores and government entities for their basic needs, or even travel on interstates to get there. During any catastrophe, martial law will be declared - and in the event of, say, a pandemic, travel will be restricted. If you're not at your bugout place when this happens, you may never see it again.

I just thought it made good sense, instead of a "bugout" place, to have a "last stand" place. We moved to where the food was, where no interstates are, where nothing to attract tourists, developers, or those who need endless entertainment exists. We can build what we want, plant what we want, have whatever animals, etc we want, and no one says a word, because they have their own places to worry about. If the SHTF next week, next year, or never, we still have what we want, in a place we won't mind dying - tomorrow or 50 years from now. We are 'hiding in plain sight' - which is better than ending up as another Ruby Ridge, tempting some bureaucrat to enhance their 'rep' or climb even higher, by 'proving' that we are bad evil naughty people who must be brought into line. Where we live, everyone lives like this. Shrug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living