Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:39 AM

175 posts, read 412,864 times

Advertisements

I'm turning on the lights and heading out in my fully fueled H3 for a drive around the city. May even head to Nashville to check out Al Gore's digs where more energy is wasted in a day than most of us waste in a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 11:44 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Sorry, I'm not sitting in the dark on a Saturday night. Two weeks before Christmas we have a major ice storm here and were without power for a week. It was FREEZING and DARK. I couldn't see in my house by 3 pm. So I've already given my contribution.

And amazingly enough, my National Grid bill was not much less! Even without power for a week! So it's a bunch of CRAP.

And we already conserve energy. In the evening, we have 1 light on with a 60 watt lightbulb and the tv. Should I unplug my fridge, stove, microwave, dishwasher, dvd player, radio, stereo, computers, alarm clocks, VCR, unused tvs, garage door opener, etc since they're not being used? That's just silly. It is what is.

Maybe I should trade in my Monte Carlo SS for a sweet Hummer.....Or one of those sexy red Dodge Hemi trucks.....Cheers to 5 mpg.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:44 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
I can absolutely agree with this unless it turns into the water example, which has already been brought up by one of our astute posters.
Oh, you are so right. That whole rate hike made me feel very jerked around. And now did you all notice - we are getting rate hikes for storm water??? Yep. Heard that one the news the other nite. As I have mentioned before - I pay more in storm water fees than I do for actual water use every month! Crazy!!!!!

Just wanted to add: I am very fond of electricity. My world would be very limited without it, LOL!!! I have been conserving energy since the late 60s as a child. It is an issue I believe in. However it is very upsetting to see that other countries are the ones spewing the pollutants into the air and sucking up energy resources while we are trying to be conservative w/ energy management in this country. China and India are big polluters.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:05 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Sorry, I'm not sitting in the dark on a Saturday night. Two weeks before Christmas we have a major ice storm here and were without power for a week. It was FREEZING and DARK. I couldn't see in my house by 3 pm. So I've already given my contribution.
If you belong to a wholesale club, a lot of them now carry emergency LED lighting that's battery powered. I have them all over my house.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
If you belong to a wholesale club, a lot of them now carry emergency LED lighting that's battery powered. I have them all over my house.
We have LED lights on batteries now! We didn't when the storm happened. It was only supposed to rain here. The ice was supposed to land hours east of me. So no one here was prepared for it. Christmas kinda sucked, too. No one really cared. There were people without power for 3 weeks so celebrating in the cold and dark wasn't a big thing for some crazy reason.

Now we have things in case of a disaster like this happens again. My family laughs and acts like I'm preparing for a hurricane. I told them I am prepared even though we don't them here. You never know who will come knocking on my door.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:06 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Well, I for one will not be participating in this gimick as I have more important things to do, like hosting a basketball watching party since the Elite 8 games will be going on then...and then once they are over around 9:00 or 9:30, we'll be starting our monthly poker night, so the lights will be on

I agree that Man Made Global Warming is a crock of ****. There's more ice on the North Pole now than 10 yrs ago....and the Red River in ND is flooded over the banks, and has frozen too...that is not a sign of GW...in fact, I wish GW would come back, I'm tired of gray, cloudy cool weather, bring back the 80s that we had a couple weeks ago please.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:10 PM

206 posts, read 514,557 times
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Perhaps we should focus less on the Global Warming aspect and instead look at this from the point of energy consumption.

Just my 2 cents.
I second that. No need to throw out the baby with the bath water

Last edited by Westchestergal; 03-27-2009 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-27-2009, 01:29 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,570,612 times
I understand the debate and people disagree about this. I don't understand the downright hostility about it. I mean seriously, what harm will it do to you if some people choose to turn their lights off for an hour?

Old 03-27-2009, 01:34 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
China and India are big polluters.
No shock there given the population of both countries.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
I understand the debate and people disagree about this. I don't understand the downright hostility about it. I mean seriously, what harm will it do to you if some people choose to turn their lights off for an hour?
Not hostile. My one 60 watt lamp isn't going to change the world.

This whole nonsense is about light pollution. Sorry, but I will not sit in the dark. I live in a civilized country that has utilities. Why should I be penalized because of it? Why should I not embrace it? I could go live in the bush of Australia or go camping if I didn't want to live with these amenities.

And my idea of camping is staying at the Econolodge instead of the Marriott.

Global Warming is a CROCK OF SH@!! We've had record snow, ice, and cold here in the Northeast this winter. Warm my *****!

The media would sell ice to a penguin if it could get $$$ for it.

Maybe I'll have to stop by Al Gore's house on Saturday. I'm sure he'll have on more than 1 60 watt light!

Do people expect cities and towns to turn off all of the street lights and traffic lights at 830? The street light across from my house is brighter than turning on most lights in my house. Call your city and see if they plan on shutting off all of those lights. Yeah, that won't cause any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living