Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Breath View Post
Lots of good advice in your post as always. I cannot believe how much cedar is on that farm to be honest. Small trees to the biggest cedars I have ever seen in my life. I never thought about rough cutting it with a saw and using that wi make some cedar boxes! THANKS! I think that is something the grandkids would love to have and they can actually help make their own, and I know I sure can use a few myself around the house. (Great to store my quilts in!)

Wonderful update as always, FB. I think the name for your farm will come to you in its own time; though I do think Perrin's name is so endearing. Perhaps you will give it your "official" name with Broken House tucked in somehow. You and youngLisa7 are truly masters at getting the most out of 24 hours. Knitting & quilting on top of everything else? Amazing.

I have some additional suggestions for bringing in some extra cash, FWIW: I am a florist and try to introduce myself to at least one farm and/or greenhouse owner per week. In turn they have passed my name onto other farms & greenhouses who then contact me. Many of these places let me come & cut branches & wildflowers; some prefer to do the cutting & then sell to me. I use everything in my arrangements from cedar boughs to Queen Anne's Lace - which here is looked upon as a weed.

Not sure how TN tax laws work, so you'd want to make sure you weren't pi$$ing off Uncle Sam or his local tax collectors...but I've paid some decent money for fresh cuts, and I now have one younger couple from whom I buy all my hand-tied evergreen garland & greens roping for use during the holidays. Thanks again for taking the time to update us!

Old 06-29-2009, 02:49 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
and once again you have given me a joy and pleasure with your story and with everyones input.. just awesome reading ::sighs:: I wish......well maybe not but everyone knows rthe joy of your life thank you Forest Breath this is always a joy to spend time reading this thread I thank you for this gift

/|\

Faworki

Old 06-29-2009, 05:23 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
Alright. I love Broken House Farm too. Sounds simple with a nicely mysterious air. Just think when everything is fixed up and someone comes along, buys some eggs and then asks "so where is the broken house then?".

Old 06-29-2009, 05:41 PM

107 posts, read 300,621 times
The pics of Chris with the chain saw brought back old memories. During the summer/fall my senior year of H.S., my brother and I helped our Dad cut tons of trees off our small farm in Virginia. We figured that we were done when we had all of the cull trees (on the close side of the lake) cut, hauled, split and stacked. We HAD to be done, 'cause there was no way to haul the trees from the far side of the lake.

When winter came, Dad surprised us by firing up the saw (every Saturday at 5:00 am )and we proceeded to cut the far hill. Then we slid the logs across the frozen lake, hooked them to the truck and dragged them to the house. More cutting, splitting and stacking After all that work we had about 20 cords of wood put up. I went hunting for a week around Christmas and when I came home, all the wood was gone. Dad gave it all away to "a nice young couple" that was having trouble making ends meet and needed it worse than we did! I can look back and laugh now, but it sure was hard to take then.

Tell Chris not to give it away

Old 06-29-2009, 06:16 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Piper's idea of passing the word around to greenhouses and elsewhere about the flowers and cedar would also work on selling your eggs too. Worked with a man who sold eggs. He had a sign out in his front yard and on a couple bulletin boards. He sold a few dozen that way. But he said he got more business just by word of mouth. Tell his customers to tell others, etc. Pass it on! He keeps the chickens pretty busy that way. lol

Old 06-29-2009, 07:38 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
What about making a posting on Craig's List?

Old 06-29-2009, 09:01 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,347,702 times
Forest Breath,

I enjoy your updates and like the smooth positive energy vibes of satisfaction and contentment that I feel from reading your posts. I am thrilled for you that you are getting to live your dream. Not many people sadly can lay claim to that.I am glad you post and give me glimpses into your life on the farm and you ignore your critics.
too like Perrin's nickname for the farm, The Broken House Farm has charm and character to it.
Pam

Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I think that Broken House Farm is the perfect name.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:24 AM

7 posts, read 21,641 times
I agree also, Broken House Farm is so unique. Yeah, you could name it something cute like Walnut Hill Farm or whatever, but somewhere in the world someone already calls their farm that. Who else calls their farm the Broken House Farm? I think that name is awesome!

Old 06-30-2009, 01:55 AM

11,082 posts, read 17,527,537 times
All in favor of Broken House Farm? Say aye! lol

Aye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living