Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 07:35 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times

Advertisements

Aye!

Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
regarding the reason no one stopped at the sign to buy eggs-------$2.00 a dozen--is a little on the high side.

Try lowerring the price to see if that helps.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:40 AM

300 posts, read 1,456,079 times
No problem, we sold 4 dozen yesterday evening when we got home. We also got 3 regular customers out of the evening as well! So YAY! And really when you consider the price for free range eggs in the store, $2 a dozen is not a bad price. I sold them last year for $1.50 a dozen. When I went up to $2 because chicken feed went up, I had no problem selling them. Chris told our long standing customer we would continue to sell them to him at the same price and he insisted on paying the increase because he said his wife felt like he was ripping us off. The eggs are very large.

The meeting at the attorney went well yesterday. We should be getting a hearing date soon.

Lakota spent the night last night. It was very cool for a change and that was nice. Today we don't get Perrin untl I get off work. So Chris and Lakota re building a wood shed today while I am at work. When I get home we will work on that until it is done or gets too dark!

I finished up the laundry yesterday and got it off the line. Someone is taking one of the kittens this week. The only little girl. I suppose we will keep the 4 boys.

Someone wants to buy some of our huge walnut trees and is supposed to call to come look at them soon. There are about 40 just on the front half of the farm. I don't want to get rid of them all and will keep some large and a few smaller ones as well. But if the price is right, I will sell a few to help pay for the farm.

I hope everyone enjoys this cooler weather! I know I am!

Old 06-30-2009, 02:44 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
All in favor of Broken House Farm? Say aye! lol

Aye!

AYE!!

sometimes kids are so much smarter than the adults ...and insightful

Old 06-30-2009, 03:17 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post

All in favor of Broken House Farm? Say aye! lol

Aye!
Aye! It's charming!

Old 06-30-2009, 05:22 PM

206 posts, read 1,135,092 times
I love reading your story and have subscribed to the thread so I get it in my email and never miss an update. We also did a lot of tree cutting on our farm here in Kentucky a couple of weeks ago and they were VERY large trees. My husband estimates they were between 60 -80 feet ! But they had to go because they were either dead or infested and we are putting up fences soon and don't want them to fall on the fences or the animals. We now have about 3 cords of wood I think. I don't use it as my only source for heat, just a supplement. So this should last us a good long time. But I would be more than happy to share some with you if you run out !!!

Love the 7 sisters quilt. My sisters do a lot of quilting, but I've only done a small one for the grandbaby that lives with me, she is 4.5. So not much time for that these days with all the farm preparations.

You and Chris have done a fantastic job on that place !!!

As for the Farm name.... may I suggest

Broken House Farm at Brannon Brook

OR

Broken House Farm No More

Old 06-30-2009, 06:09 PM

32 posts, read 66,999 times
I like the name Broken House Farm.. but since you asked for other names here's mine.. Hope Farm.. just a simple thing really.. because of your hope and faith and prayers.. now the Goddess is blessing you by giving you your dream.. just my thoughts on it.. but I do rather like the puns that were outlined too.

Wow, I didn't know what county you were in.. but My husband and I are looking at farms in McMinn county.. goddess only knows what we'll finally end up with.. but right now just looking is mind boggling.. I'll let you know what turns up and what progress we are making..

Everybody have a good week..

Happy Independence Day !!!!
Hugs
Laura

Old 07-02-2009, 07:38 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Forest Breath,
Know you are living, & plan to live, off grid. But in redoing your house, you may really want to read the 100+ pages dealing with housing in the admendment to the Cap & Trade bill (which the House passed last week, still has to go before the Senate). A lot of it has to do with Fed housing or Fed loan housing but there is also info about all houses. It may/may not be something you want to keep in the back of your mind when making decisions about remodeling your house.
The bill deals with off grid as well as on grid.

Also, take a look at page 155 if you think you may sell someday.
You can find the admendment at http://www.johnboehner.house.gov/Upl...sAmendment.pdf

Either in the admendment or in the bill, there is info about pellet stoves and wood stoves that you would probably want to read. (You are using one of these stoves for heat, cooking, etc.?)

Sorry, can't remember where I read it.
You can find the bill at THOMAS (Library of Congress)
The bill is called Waxman-Markey, HR 2454, or Cap & Trade bill.

Found it - the info on wood stoves or pellet stoves is at:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...MGL6F8:e433679:
SEC. 218. CERTIFIED STOVES PROGRAM

Last edited by vec101; 07-02-2009 at 07:57 PM..

Old 07-02-2009, 11:02 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
Since a mod brought this up, I'll make a couple of comments and then suggest that further comments on this semi-off-topic subject go into a spin-off thread, perhaps titled "how cap-n-trade will affect traditional life," or some such.

There have been two major bills recently (among others, but these two are just more all-encompassing) that have shown that the United States government has radically changed direction and is no longer a representative republican government. The first was the bailout of the banks, directly ignoring the overwhelming will of the citizens of the country. Simply put, the system of banking, investments, and insurance had degenerated into a morally corrupt mess and rather than correcting the underlying problems, the government elected to protect the very people with money and power that created the mess. The system is still flawed and being supported on crutches. That was bad, but not a Constitutional issue, per se. The bigger issue is that the bill the Congress passed had a major section in it that Congress had no time to read or debate. This flies in the face of the very heart of the representative process and is a direct route to fascism and a rubber-stamp parliamentary body such as that of the old Soviet Union. It is SO wrong that the very mechanisms that allowed it MUST be made unconstitutional by a Constitutional amendment. Yet no citizen, politician, or lawyer has proposed such an amendment.

The second major instance of this has been the cap-n-trade bill, where again the Congresscritters were forced to vote on it SIGHT-UNSEEN. WTF are we allowing to have happen??? This form of "government" (and I use the term loosely) is even worse odds for the citizens than "What is behind door number two?" The person who writes such a bill is guilty of demagoguery and rule without representative or public consent. My personal opinion is that ANYONE who writes a law and successfully attempts to get it passed with no debate or even a reading, should be shot as a traitor to the country.

As both these bills were passed OUTSIDE of our normal representative system of government, I view both bills as not only illegal, but active treason. I view the acquiescence of Congresscritters as a clear indication of their abdication of duty, and an indictment of their moral character.

We are facing no less than a beginning Constitutional crisis. If burning wood is banned, I will be a criminal according the the government, since I WILL burn wood rather than freeze.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:08 AM

630 posts, read 2,432,565 times
As an FYI, we pay $3.50 a dozen for organic brown eggs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
regarding the reason no one stopped at the sign to buy eggs-------$2.00 a dozen--is a little on the high side.

Try lowerring the price to see if that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.