Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 07:29 PM

955 posts, read 2,160,728 times

Advertisements

This is an interesting article which should start some interesting discussion.

In Confronting Its Biggest Foe, Green Movement Also Fights Itself - WSJ.com

Which way to go?

"And miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 PM

23,646 posts, read 70,627,512 times
Distributed systems vs. centralized systems. Ancient argument.
Your little horse must think it ***** I sold my house in the village.

I hope you understand the import of the larger question. Forest Breath, for one, has taken a road less traveled by, to find her dream both dark and deep.

"Long I stood and looked down the one as far as I could,
to where it bent in the undergrowth;"
then took the other, neigh, more fair

Will that be paper or plastic?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:24 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,706,095 times
Heehee. Big surprise - the activists get put in positions to do something, and suddenly find that it is in their own best interests to contemplate something that they didn't have to think about before. Rather like the 'hippies' who had to cut their hair, move out of the communes, and get jobs in the "straight" world, when Mom and Dad cut off their financing. Real life is always a surprise when you are finally faced with a choice between YOUR demands and other peoples' rights.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:01 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,076,076 times
Sounds about right, many in the green movement has also cast themselves as anti government, anti business, and anyone who doesn't think the same is the enemy. However, if many want to get their dream of large scale environmentally friendly production (especially energy) there needs to be government, business, and working well with others involved...plus net efficiency compared to traditional methods of production.

It's easy to complain when people aren't making the environmentally better choice, not so easy when the you have to make the choice when it costs much more then the traditional method on a limited budget. If people can't afford to make that choice due to their cash flows, especially with so many out of work and investments still in the toilet...it doesn't matter how much people complain or care to try and coax them into the decision they want them to make.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:45 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,386,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Heehee. Big surprise - the activists get put in positions to do something, and suddenly find that it is in their own best interests to contemplate something that they didn't have to think about before. Rather like the 'hippies' who had to cut their hair, move out of the communes, and get jobs in the "straight" world, when Mom and Dad cut off their financing. Real life is always a surprise when you are finally faced with a choice between YOUR demands and other peoples' rights.
Sooo true.
I also thought of the gneration hippies back in the 60's against the establishment until they became the establishment themselves. But, as always, you word it so well.

Good article, Upper. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:35 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,524,662 times
That is an interesting article. My wife, who is a full bloodied hard core environmentalist and has the degrees to back it up...said it best. "It seems like when we do one good thing, it hurts the environment somewhere else".

I will never forget the time I had her snap a picture of me cutting this big Spruce tree. As I went to fell it, she commented that I should "leave the big tree and just cut the smaller trees". I guess it never occurred to her that if I always cut the little trees I never would have big trees would I?

We have a huge battle going on here. Maine has the ability to produce a massive amount of electricity from the wind and from the ocean currents. With 2900 miles of coastline, it gets hammered by wind and waves after all. But here is the thing, windmills generate low frequency noise and off-shore wave generation stations (and windmills) would ruin those beautiful ocean views that so many people come to Maine for.

It's so silly. We can be a self-sustained energy state but the "not in my backyard mentality" means we pay for expensive oil and foul our soil and water with pollutants.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:37 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,076,076 times
I found this that I thought was related and kind of interesting.

10 things 'green' companies won't tell you - MSN Money

Old 04-04-2009, 05:06 PM

955 posts, read 2,160,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I found this that I thought was related and kind of interesting.

10 things 'green' companies won't tell you - MSN Money
This definetely adds to the overall discussion. The one point that is inherent in all ten points is that environmentalism is no different than other things - it is market driven. Market driven from a company's bottom line perspective and market driven from providing products and services that consumers want to buy. The interesting thing about all of this is that environmental concerns are in fact being recognized as a factor in defining strategic business plans.

Near the end of the article the point was made that ties in to the original article I used to start the thread - "Any action creates waste". In other words, there are no free lunches, only intelligent tradeoffs.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:47 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,081,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
That is an interesting article. My wife, who is a full bloodied hard core environmentalist and has the degrees to back it up...said it best. "It seems like when we do one good thing, it hurts the environment somewhere else".

I will never forget the time I had her snap a picture of me cutting this big Spruce tree. As I went to fell it, she commented that I should "leave the big tree and just cut the smaller trees". I guess it never occurred to her that if I always cut the little trees I never would have big trees would I?

We have a huge battle going on here. Maine has the ability to produce a massive amount of electricity from the wind and from the ocean currents. With 2900 miles of coastline, it gets hammered by wind and waves after all. But here is the thing, windmills generate low frequency noise and off-shore wave generation stations (and windmills) would ruin those beautiful ocean views that so many people come to Maine for.

It's so silly. We can be a self-sustained energy state but the "not in my backyard mentality" means we pay for expensive oil and foul our soil and water with pollutants.
Maine's already about 50% renewable in electricity from the wood pulp industry. All things are a compromise. The areas that are attractive for wind in your state are modest. Wind turbines generally don't upset people. The low frequency noise is very localized.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:18 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,524,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Maine's already about 50% renewable in electricity from the wood pulp industry. All things are a compromise. The areas that are attractive for wind in your state are modest. Wind turbines generally don't upset people. The low frequency noise is very localized.
You don't know Mainer's very well.

At town meeting I was talking to one guy about how some of us who have lived on these hills all our lives have had to pay extra for heating, pushing snow, damage to our homes, etc and that this was finally a way of making our farms help pay for themselves. So this woman overhears me talking and said...

"Yes I understand that, but when I want to return home from a trip I don't want to look up at MY hills and see windmills on them."

At which point I reminded her that those hills are someones property and they have been paying taxes on them for a very long time. The truth is, once these windmills are up people will grow to like them. They just:

1. Hate change
2. Are jealous that people in elevated areas will get money and they won't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living