Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:01 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,526,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
You should know that I did not make that analogy lightly. For me, its more than just a question of meat vs veggies, its about mankind's wanton killing of animals for our own use - with little thought to their welfare. Man's relationship with animals is a power relationship in which we dominate because a) we can, and b) because it makes us feel good. We eat them and wear their skins - pretty ghoulish when you consider those animals had lives, families, children, etc. Ever wonder why mother cows cry when their calves are taken away?

So, when you look at it this way, the parallels to pedophilia are clear - a power relationship over the weak and defenseless. Its just that one (animal flesh eating and wearing their skins) is a large part of our economy and way of life so few dare to question it. This may sound over the top because most people don't think of it this way (or dare not to since it could mean admitting to causing so much suffering). Nonetheless, that is how I see the sanctity of all life (to include unborn children). Just call me pro life across the board.

So again, I don't draw this parallel lightly or with any disrepect to anyone who has ever been a victim of pedophilia. That said, just wait to see how many will gleefully respond with how much they love eating dead animals and wearing their skin.

Thanks for the discussion.
Your response speaks volumes unfortunately.

I state again, I am amazed ANYONE would use pedophilia to make a point about veggies versus meat. I make my living from raising livestock and thus have the ultimate stake in the choice to eat meat or veggies only, and yet there is no way I would make such a comparison. To suggest pulling a calf from a dairy cow is somehow comparable to the devastating carnage that occurs when a child is raped clearly shows you rationale is a bit off base in terms of compassion and humanity.

As a sheep/dairy farmer I do the latter all the time and yet I have never seen the herd/flock be destroyed like an entire family does when someone makes a violent, sick choice to rape a child. Humanizing livestock can only go so far before it falls flat.

But if the Bible is the ultimate guide to life, then perhaps we should look at when the deciples ushered the little children away from Jesus, and he grew upset at the deciples and took the little children onto his knee and told them stories. I don't think there is a story in the bible of him doing that to a flock of sheep, and this was from a person that was born in a manger.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:19 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,870,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
Your response speaks volumes unfortunately.

I state again, I am amazed ANYONE would use pedophilia to make a point about veggies versus meat. I make my living from raising livestock and thus have the ultimate stake in the choice to eat meat or veggies only, and yet there is no way I would make such a comparison. To suggest pulling a calf from a dairy cow is somehow comparable to the devastating carnage that occurs when a child is raped clearly shows you rationale is a bit off base in terms of compassion and humanity.

As a sheep/dairy farmer I do the latter all the time and yet I have never seen the herd/flock be destroyed like an entire family does when someone makes a violent, sick choice to rape a child. Humanizing livestock can only go so far before it falls flat.

But if the Bible is the ultimate guide to life, then perhaps we should look at when the deciples ushered the little children away from Jesus, and he grew upset at the deciples and took the little children onto his knee and told them stories. I don't think there is a story in the bible of him doing that to a flock of sheep, and this was from a person that was born in a manger.
As someone who makes his living in the meat industry, I don't expect that you'd be willing to consider the parallels. So, let's agree to disagree.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,711,461 times
ROFLMAO.

That comparison is so ridiculous that it gives me giggles. OMG, that's FUNNY.

Humans are omnivores. We eat meat, poultry, fish, and vegetables. Our bodies were not made to subsist solely on green things. I could make the point that plants cry out when you pull them up (there have been sonic tests) or when you cut off their fruit; so does that make vegetarians even moreso pedophiles, removing the plants' children for ingestion? Just because you aren't there when the potatoes are dug or the tomatoes are harvested, doesn't that make you even worse of a pedophile, BUYING the children of the poor plants to eat and satisfy your own base desires? That's just as ridiculous as your comparison.

When I hunt I don't take the fawns; I go for the biggest buck to fill the freezer. When I raise chickens I don't take the babies; I slaughter the roosters and the largest hens - and I don't kill the ones that are producing more babies or who are mothers; that would quickly shortchange my supply. When I fish I throw back the fingerlings and take the meaty ones that snatch my hook. So that whole pedophile concept simply doesn't fly, and is just another way for someone to think that they are superior to 'common' meat eaters.

I don't care if you are vegetarian; that is your decision, I even tried it for a few years myself. But anemia is not a healthy condition. And soy affects your testosterone levels (which explains an AWFUL lot if you think about it). But trying to portray oneself as superior simply because one does not eat flesh seems to lead to a lot of purposeful and self-aggrandizing misinterpretations of the relationship between humans and animals. I'd be willing to bet that you'd eat meat quickly enough if you were in a cold region, with no green in sight for six months, where there were no Guatamalan grapes, Mexican tomatoes, California oranges, or Floridian grapefruit shipped in for your year-round dining pleasures, but plenty of deer and turkey wandering around.

Humans are hunter-gatherers. Deal with it. It's easy enough to deny it, in cities where there are vast quantities of shipped-in supplies year-round. But do without for awhile, or raise solely your own food, and you just might change your eating habits to survive.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:53 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,515,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
. . . you just might change your eating habits to survive.
Or to live more closely aligned with nature, who designed us as omnivores, after all.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:10 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,711,461 times
Waitaminit, Waitaminit - "As someone who makes his living in the meat industry" - so it is OK for you to live off of the 'suffering of the animals' and to insist that it is pedophilia while you enjoy the income off of that same decried practice???

So, does that make you a pimp? No wonder you are so determined in your beliefs.

Sounds like there is a whole lot of self-hate here, something that simply cannot be addressed in a public forum. You have my sympathies to be living in such dichotomy. That must be really painful for you to go to work every day, believing as you do.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:04 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,240,946 times
regarding bawling cows when their calves are taken away-------- I used to have a small beef herd (25 cows)

In fall, when the calves were weaned there would be bawling cows for 2 days, then it would be over.

Not a good analogy to humans as I doubt a mother would quit grieving for her "kidnapped" child after just 2 days.

I think we are confusing "instinct" which is found in all animals with "memory"

Old 05-05-2009, 08:55 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,744,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
regarding bawling cows when their calves are taken away-------- I used to have a small beef herd (25 cows)

In fall, when the calves were weaned there would be bawling cows for 2 days, then it would be over.

Not a good analogy to humans as I doubt a mother would quit grieving for her "kidnapped" child after just 2 days.

I think we are confusing "instinct" which is found in all animals with "memory"
Not to mention the fact that when a cow is done allowing the calf to nurse - due to its age - she just kicks it when it gets near her teats.

Let's see how well that works on the human level...

Old 05-05-2009, 10:07 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,080,613 times
Comparing weening to pedophilia is a new one to me, it's great to make make small inconveniences to animals comparable to disgusting, violent activities in humans. I wonder why weening human babies off mothers milk to other types of food is not comparable to child rape as well, it's pretty much the same thing.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:15 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,744,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Comparing weening to pedophilia is a new one to me, it's great to make make small inconveniences to animals comparable to disgusting, violent activities in humans. I wonder why weening human babies off mothers milk to other types of food is not comparable to child rape as well, it's pretty much the same thing.
You make a good point. People tend to go nuts over weird things.

I do honestly think that, with some people, the problem is mis-placed zealotry. You see it in religions, and you see it in other causes that become religions. Environmentalism and animals rights is no exception.

Not all Christians are like the nut-jobs from Westboro Baptist. But too many people assume they are.

Not all "green people" are not-jobs like PETA and their ilk. But it's too easy to broad brush all of them.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:38 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,274,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Nice try.

3/4 of US crops go to feed livestock, not people. In fact, it takes 16 pounds of grain to produce one pound of meat (not to mention 2,000 gallons of water and a couple hundred gallons of gas). By comparison, a pound of corn is grown using 100-250 gallons of water

Solution? Take a hard look at the facts and ask yourself if you really want to make some choices which benefit the environment. If you still decide not to, you'll at least understand the impact of your lifestyle.
I'll make a deal with you.. I'll trade you my pound of corn for your pound of beef. Fair enough?

And all of the water used to raise a cow or water the corn is sooner or later returned to Mother Earth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living