Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 04:45 PM

18,332 posts, read 26,584,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
You should know that I did not make that analogy lightly. For me, its more than just a question of meat vs veggies, its about mankind's wanton killing of animals for our own use - with little thought to their welfare. Man's relationship with animals is a power relationship in which we dominate because a) we can, and b) because it makes us feel good. We eat them and wear their skins - pretty ghoulish when you consider those animals had lives, families, children, etc. Ever wonder why mother cows cry when their calves are taken away?

So, when you look at it this way, the parallels to pedophilia are clear - a power relationship over the weak and defenseless. Its just that one (animal flesh eating and wearing their skins) is a large part of our economy and way of life so few dare to question it. This may sound over the top because most people don't think of it this way (or dare not to since it could mean admitting to causing so much suffering). Nonetheless, that is how I see the sanctity of all life (to include unborn children). Just call me pro life across the board.

So again, I don't draw this parallel lightly or with any disrepect to anyone who has ever been a victim of pedophilia. That said, just wait to see how many will gleefully respond with how much they love eating dead animals and wearing their skin.

Thanks for the discussion.
Every living thing relies on the death of other living things to survive.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,543,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Every living thing relies on the death of other living things to survive.
Absolutely. That's how the design works.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:20 PM

1,949 posts, read 3,872,480 times
Wow, this thread turned out to be a real troll magnet!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Comparing weening to pedophilia is a new one to me, it's great to make make small inconveniences to animals comparable to disgusting, violent activities in humans. I wonder why weening human babies off mothers milk to other types of food is not comparable to child rape as well, it's pretty much the same thing.
Who was comparing weening to pedophilia? Not me! Go back and read the context in which it was brought up (abusive power relationships) and you'll see.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Waitaminit, Waitaminit - "As someone who makes his living in the meat industry" - so it is OK for you to live off of the 'suffering of the animals' and to insist that it is pedophilia while you enjoy the income off of that same decried practice???

So, does that make you a pimp? No wonder you are so determined in your beliefs.

Sounds like there is a whole lot of self-hate here, something that simply cannot be addressed in a public forum. You have my sympathies to be living in such dichotomy. That must be really painful for you to go to work every day, believing as you do.
Aah, how do I say this nicely? Read it again...Broken works in the meat industry, not me. No dichotomy here.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:27 PM

7,083 posts, read 12,085,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You make a good point. People tend to go nuts over weird things.

I do honestly think that, with some people, the problem is mis-placed zealotry. You see it in religions, and you see it in other causes that become religions. Environmentalism and animals rights is no exception.

Not all Christians are like the nut-jobs from Westboro Baptist. But too many people assume they are.

Not all "green people" are not-jobs like PETA and their ilk. But it's too easy to broad brush all of them.
Oh yeah, I love the quote "no matter what it is, people can take it too seriously"...and that most people seem to think if they are more radical, and more extreme, somehow it gives people more credence and one uppmanship. After that it seems to be self perpetuating as everyone who doesn't agree is labeled as an enemy, because they wouldn't believe it if it wasn't right.

There can be a nut job anywhere people think they are right no matter what evidence is to the contrary, or they want you to believe in what they do (and follow them like sheep) where there can be a wide variety of options that are "right" to the individual.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Or to live more closely aligned with nature, who designed us as omnivores, after all.
Once again, I invite you to study comparative anatomy and see if you come to the same conclusion.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You make a good point. People tend to go nuts over weird things.

I do honestly think that, with some people, the problem is mis-placed zealotry. You see it in religions, and you see it in other causes that become religions. Environmentalism and animals rights is no exception.

Not all Christians are like the nut-jobs from Westboro Baptist. But too many people assume they are.

Not all "green people" are not-jobs like PETA and their ilk. But it's too easy to broad brush all of them.
I couldn't agree more. The visceral reponse to any suggestion that someone consider the impact of their diet brings out some incredibly zealotrous responses (from otherwise normal people).

The easiest way to make ordinary folks bring out the pitchforks and froth at the mouth is to question the status quo.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yep - I "gleefully" eat the Beef, Chicken, Pork, Fish, wild Game -

And, yes, I "wear" their skins - Those leathers protect me when I'm riding the motorcycle!
A personal attack, an insult, and flaming all in one.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,543,869 times
Xpat, you do understand the difference between a carnivore and an omnivore, right?

Also, you might want to take a good long look at what people are saying about zealots and about their negative impact on both the green movement and vegetarianism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living