Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 06:04 PM

134 posts, read 318,964 times

Advertisements

Its funny how instead of arguing the acts and figures presented, people instead instantly refute the source if it disagrees with their world view. Just because its in Rolling Stone does that make it instantly wrong? Does that mean the largest-ever EPA fine it cites was just made up? Were the 27 million hogs slaughtered that year not actually killed and sold? Were Smithfield's sales not $11.4 billion in 2006 (and 11.9 in 2007)? Are you saying that

"The biggest spill in the history of corporate hog farming happened in 1995. The **** of a 120,000-square-foot lagoon owned by a Smithfield competitor ruptured, releasing 25.8 million gallons of effluvium into the headwaters of the New River in North Carolina. It was the biggest environmental spill in United States history, more than twice as big as the Exxon Valdez oil spill six years earlier. The sludge was so toxic it burned your skin if you touched it, and so dense it took almost two months to make its way sixteen miles downstream to the ocean. From the headwaters to the sea, every creature living in the river was killed. Fish died by the millions. "

...is automatically untrue because the article was in Rolling Stone?

How about looking at the facts and claims the article itself makes (assuming you bothered to read it) and then making up your mind?

Hey Omaha, how about commenting on the Oak Ridge National Laboratory study or the DOA ones we saw earlier?

By the way, I agree that people using water to try to grow grass in the desert is a terrible waste. Still, it would not even come close to the water being wasted and polluted by the agricultural industry (note I said industry, not small family farms).

Old 04-25-2009, 06:27 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,138,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
By the way, I agree that people using water to try to grow grass in the desert is a terrible waste.
I agree. What is so wrong with xeriscaping? Or as a friend used to say , " If you need a lush green yard filled with Kentucky Bluegrass, MOVE to Kentucky! "

Quote:
Still, it would not even come close to the water being wasted and polluted by the agricultural industry (note I said industry, not small family farms).
Bold highlights are mine. I don't think the OP was stating that everyone should eschew all meat products....but wouldn't it be more efficient if we all ate locally grown products (animal and vegetable) from small, sustainable operations.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,744,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Its funny how instead of arguing the acts and figures presented, people instead instantly refute the source if it disagrees with their world view. Just because its in Rolling Stone does that make it instantly wrong? Does that mean the largest-ever EPA fine it cites was just made up? Were the 27 million hogs slaughtered that year not actually killed and sold? Were Smithfield's sales not $11.4 billion in 2006 (and 11.9 in 2007)? Are you saying that

"The biggest spill in the history of corporate hog farming happened in 1995. The **** of a 120,000-square-foot lagoon owned by a Smithfield competitor ruptured, releasing 25.8 million gallons of effluvium into the headwaters of the New River in North Carolina. It was the biggest environmental spill in United States history, more than twice as big as the Exxon Valdez oil spill six years earlier. The sludge was so toxic it burned your skin if you touched it, and so dense it took almost two months to make its way sixteen miles downstream to the ocean. From the headwaters to the sea, every creature living in the river was killed. Fish died by the millions. "

...is automatically untrue because the article was in Rolling Stone?

How about looking at the facts and claims the article itself makes (assuming you bothered to read it) and then making up your mind?

Hey Omaha, how about commenting on the Oak Ridge National Laboratory study or the DOA ones we saw earlier?

By the way, I agree that people using water to try to grow grass in the desert is a terrible waste. Still, it would not even come close to the water being wasted and polluted by the agricultural industry (note I said industry, not small family farms).
Better check your links there Buddy. They're not saying what you think they're saying.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:49 PM

98 posts, read 198,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
People who are blaming genetically modified corn for genetic mutations in animals REALLY need to understand what is being genetically modified in that corn - and REALLY need to understand the difference between plant genetics and animal genetics.

Mold in corn will cause far more problems than anything genetic.
Well,
Why don't YOU explain what is being modified then?

Old 04-25-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshire View Post
Well,
Why don't YOU explain what is being modified then?
Hey, here's an easy one for you to chew on...

GM Corn is PRIMARILY what is called "RoundUp Ready" corn. RoundUp is a herbicide that kills all weeds - broadleaf as well as grassy - as well as crops. Everything RoundUp touches dies.

RoudUp Ready corn is able to be sprayed by RoundUp, but not be killed by the herbicide.

This means that a farmer can plant corn WITHOUT TILLING THE SOIL, then spray it once all the crops (and weeds) have emerged. The weeds are killed and the corn still grows. This means farmers do not have to cultivate their crops.

Do you know what this means? It means no-till farming. No-till farming means that the topsoil is not disturbed - which prevents erosion. No-till farming means that farmers are able to save several gallons per acre of fuel. No-till farming, with the use of RoundUp Ready corn, allows farmers to NOT use other herbicides.

In other words, Genetically Modified corn is one of THE most environmentally beneficial creations in the history of agriculture.

So... Please get your information correct before you start spewing slanderous nonsense. Thank you!

Old 04-25-2009, 07:24 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,084,504 times
The more important thing is that genetically modified crops are for the most part grafting in naturally occurring genes from other strains of cereal crops to the target crop. People need to get a grip, the worst food you eat isn't a mutagen, Gasoline causes mutations, radiation causes mutation. Chemical pesticides might cause mutations. Corn doesn't cause mutations.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The more important thing is that genetically modified crops are for the most part grafting in naturally occurring genes from other strains of cereal crops to the target crop. People need to get a grip, the worst food you eat isn't a mutagen, Gasoline causes mutations, radiation causes mutation. Chemical pesticides might cause mutations. Corn doesn't cause mutations.
It might also be worth noting - to our alarmists - that corn has (technically) been being "genetically modified" for decades. We call it Hybrid Seed Corn. And it's the reason farmers now get 225 bushels per acre, instead of 40 bushels per acre like they did with non-hybrid corn.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:16 PM

[quote]GM Corn is PRIMARILY what is called "RoundUp Ready" corn. RoundUp is a herbicide that kills all weeds - broadleaf as well as grassy - as well as crops. Everything RoundUp touches dies.

RoudUp Ready corn is able to be sprayed by RoundUp, but not be killed by the herbicide.[quote]
Sorry I find this information scary, to say the least! Everything RoundUp touches dies.
I am by no means an idiot! Just a very concerned American!!! Especially a SMALL farmer feeling the pinch, and seeing the results of chemicals that are being forced on me and my stock!

Old 04-25-2009, 08:20 PM

[quote=blueshire;8516566]
Quote:
GM Corn is PRIMARILY what is called "RoundUp Ready" corn. RoundUp is a herbicide that kills all weeds - broadleaf as well as grassy - as well as crops. Everything RoundUp touches dies.
RoudUp Ready corn is able to be sprayed by RoundUp, but not be killed by the herbicide.
Sorry I find this information scary, to say the least! Everything RoundUp touches dies.
I am by no means an idiot! Just a very concerned American!!! Especially a SMALL farmer feeling the pinch, and seeing the results of chemicals that are being forced on me and my stock!
When I said, "Everything RoundUp touches dies", I meant all weeds, including grass.

IF you were a farmer, you would be fully aware of what RoundUp is. It has, by the way, been on the market for nearly 40 years. You would also know that RoundUp is not being forced on anybody.

You are perfectly free to NOT buy our use RoundUp.

But do you have any comprehension of what I said about RoundUp Ready crops enabling farmers to utilize no-till methods?

Old 04-25-2009, 08:37 PM

But do you have any comprehension of what I said about RoundUp Ready crops enabling farmers to utilize no-till methods?

I comprehend a LOT, and definitely I would not trust your judgement! Nothing I have said is slanderous, as I have NOT named ANY GMO corn sources, or any OTHER feed sources. I DO NOT like being threatened!!!
You are the party that named YOUR most loved GMO corn! I will grow my own heirloom corn from now on! THANK YOU and GOODBYE~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living