Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:29 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
The tobacco states felt the same way. Ask for more stimulus money to make the transition.
Where is that laughing icon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 05:46 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
You're a very typical American, which is why we have to impose cap and trade, CAFE, and other regulation to get to the solution that best benefits society.
What you are unaware of is the massive scream of outrage when the taxes filter down the to the utility bill. Regardless of which side of the aisle they happen to sit.

And it will happen.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
As I mentioned, we have a number of major players already here installing wind power "farms". I looked into the costs of putting in my own, and what the payback would be. The cost per KWH was breathtaking, and the local T&D company would buy my surplus production at their cost of electricity, currently 2 cents per KWH. My costs per KWH were far far far in excess of that ... and that didn't include the maintenance and repairs that would inevitably add to my expenses. Our projected "payback" period was in excess of 25 years ... that's a figure that my accountant said "no" to, as well as the tri-state generation company when they calculated if it was worth me doing this.

Also of interest is to read Chesapeak's Green Energy website. There's everything from local subisdy's of up to 1/2 cent per KWH (up to 20,000KWH) to other subsidy's to achieve their local residential power rate of 11.1 cents per KWH. Absent those subsidy's, the power rates would be higher than the other energy providers in the area ... and they disclose that the wind energy comes into the grid from out of their area and is "mixed" with conventional energy. In short, the "green energy" purchased in D.C. is an accounting gimmick of the total energy delivered into their area when you opt for the contract of 100% wind energy. The base load is still powered by conventional energy generation.
A Baptist Affiliate Boys School for wayward youths had two Vestas wind generators on a hill in Montana. They generate a fantastic amount of power and was selling the excess back to the local electrical coop.................until the coop charged them more than the electricity they produced to use their transmission lines.

They shut them down and sold them to someplace in Alaska.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:03 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What you are unaware of is the massive scream of outrage when the taxes filter down the to the utility bill. Regardless of which side of the aisle they happen to sit.

And it will happen.
Don't pay. Protest. Send T bags. Or suck it up, be a man, and pay your bill.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:04 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,063,439 times
Quote:
A Baptist Affiliate Boys School for wayward youths had two Vestas wind generators on a hill in Montana. They generate a fantastic amount of power and was selling the excess back to the local electrical coop.................until the coop charged them more than the electricity they produced to use their transmission lines.

They shut them down and sold them to someplace in Alaska.
Link?

Old 05-09-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Link?
None. They are not on the web.

They packed their bags and moved their operation to Missouri. The cost of propane to heat the place, an old air force station became prohibitive. They got the windmills to offset their power bill. It worked for a while. Then the powere company started charging them for the use of their power lines.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Don't pay. Protest. Send T bags. Or suck it up, be a man, and pay your bill.
Actually, I use propane to run my fridge and chest freezer. I use generators to provide my own power. I occasionally use the grid for high power usage, otherwise I throw the main breaker.

So I won't pay it, or pay only minimally. Cheaper to use gasoline. My generators run all day on 5 gallons.

I refuse to pay any extortionate tax.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:47 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,353 times
Quote:
You're a very typical American, which is why we have to impose cap and trade, CAFE, and other regulation to get to the solution that best benefits society.
Who's 'we'? And who gave them the authority to decide what 'one-size-fits-all' amount of energy consumption is right?

Old 05-09-2009, 11:55 PM

822 posts, read 2,046,353 times
Quote:
The tobacco states felt the same way. Ask for more stimulus money to make the transition.
But I am not in the mood to throw more good tax money after bad. No more stimulus bail-outs. There is not an unlimited amount of money lying around just waiting to be thrown at every problem that comes along, most of which are self-inflicted and unnecessary, such as this notion that hydrocarbon fuel is bad for man and must be replaced.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:54 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Quote:

And it will happen.
You are correct.
Also, doesn't matter if one generates ALL their own power. If you buy anything which involves the use of electric, you will pay higher prices for the product because it will be more expensive to produce said product. So one way or another, no one can get away from the tax.
BTW - The price of gasoline will also be affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living