Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,204 times

Advertisements

Despite the heavy handed censorship the good news just continues to come. The President is implementing even strong transportation rules forcing the troglodytes of this country to adopt better commuting practices.

Quote:
President Barack Obama's proposed new fuel and emission standards for cars and trucks will save billions of barrels of oil but are expected to cost consumers an extra $1,300 per vehicle by the time the plan is complete in 2016.

Obama on Tuesday planned to announce the first-ever national emissions limits for vehicles, as well as require a 35.5 miles per gallon fuel efficiency standard.

Carol Browner, the White House energy and climate director, publicly confirmed the new initiative in appearances on morning network news shows, calling it a "truly historic" occasion and saying that such tougher environmental standards have been "long overdue."

The plan also would effectively end a feud between automakers and statehouses over emission standards -- with the states coming out on top but the automakers getting the single national standard they've been seeking and more time to make the changes.

A little presidential leadership goes a long way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 05:01 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Despite the heavy handed censorship the good news just continues to come. The President is implementing even strong transportation rules forcing the troglodytes of this country to adopt better commuting practices.

Well, I guess I will be running untaxed dyed diesel in my P/U truck. See, my "commute", when I have to is 90 miles to the nearest town. Your hero in the WH just seems to think everybody likes living jammed together.

And I guess I will have to fire up my bio-diesel still again. Untaxed fuel, gotta love it.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,517,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Well, I guess I will be running untaxed dyed diesel in my P/U truck. See, my "commute", when I have to is 90 miles to the nearest town. Your hero in the WH just seems to think everybody likes living jammed together.

And I guess I will have to fire up my bio-diesel still again. Untaxed fuel, gotta love it.
Agreed. Put a Yuppy in the White House and look what happens to the people in Rural Areas. The unemployed can get every possible benefit possible, but they just voted down a milk incentive for Dairy Farmers...a type of farmer that works 18+ hours per day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year kicking milk out on the national food chain. Lets kick them in the teeth and give the lame and the lazy every government dime we can.

This mandate is just another kick in the teeth.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Criminals find way to break the law every day. That what you've just confessed to a crime.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
Maybe agriculture should start operating on a market system just like us wage earners? The Red states are a sink of government subsidies with the Gasahol projects leading the pack.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:52 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Criminals find way to break the law every day. That what you've just confessed to a crime.
Reread my post and see how I qualified that.

And running bio-diesel is not illegal.

When diesel hit almost $4 a gallon, my exhaust was smelling of french fries.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:45 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,507 times
Quote:
Since two of the three US car companies are on the hook for government money, they have little choice but to agree to new standards. The Japanese companies make fairly efficient cars, and have always been on this path. The European brands don't sell that many vehicles in the US comparatively speaking.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
Since two of the three US car companies are on the hook for government money, they have little choice but to agree to new standards. The Japanese companies make fairly efficient cars, and have always been on this path. The European brands don't sell that many vehicles in the US comparatively speaking.
This is a criminal act "Well, I guess I will be running untaxed dyed diesel in my P/U truck"

Old 05-21-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Maybe agriculture should start operating on a market system just like us wage earners? The Red states are a sink of government subsidies with the Gasahol projects leading the pack.
When Agricultural stops being forced to buy everything at retail prices and must sell it at wholesale prices, then we will be just fine.

We would love to sell our product at free-market prices rather than at the federally regulated prices of today...

Of course 99% of the population could not afford that and would starve.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:10 AM

Al Gore once publicly said that he wanted to see agricultural land be converted into surburbia because the tax base on that land is so much higher per acre then that of agricultural land. He concluded that there were other areas of the world that could easily meet our food needs and our agricultural land could be put to better use (higher taxes).

I think we have all seen what our dependence on foreign oil has done. I shutter to think what would happen if we followed this obviously brilliant man's concept of a USA dependent on foreign food!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living