Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:36 PM

11,969 posts, read 25,567,062 times

Advertisements

Actually happened last summer. Wind produced electricity has tripled in the US since 2005

http://www.euractiv.com/en/energy/us...article-182148

Wind power - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:59 PM

10,650 posts, read 10,765,680 times
big deal.....It's still only a tad over 1% of the energy produced in this country.... If you pee in the ocean does it get an saltier? Besides the Germans have learned it doesn't pay....

MURRAY/CALZADA/STAGNARO: Lessons from Europe - Washington Times

EurActiv.com - US overtakes Germany as ‘country for wind’ | EU - European Information on Energy Supply
Nevertheless, taking into account population size, the figures show that despite its bigger capacity, wind energy only produces a little over 1% of US electricity demand, according to the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC). Germany, on the other hand, satisfies 7.5% of its electricity consumption with wind energy.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:30 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,391,027 times
Thanks for the news censusdata. Give it time my54ford, the wind is a comin'. "The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind...."

Boone Pickens is a billionaire, who has made his money in energy (don't say oil; he calls himself an Energy Man), so I will put my money on his idea of pushing for diversified sources of energy including wind. Lot of wind in west Texas and northward to Saskatchewan.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:32 AM

10,650 posts, read 10,765,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Thanks for the news censusdata. Give it time my54ford, the wind is a comin'. "The answer my friend is blowing in the wind, the answer is blowing in the wind...."

Boone Pickens is a billionaire, who has made his money in energy (don't say oil; he calls himself an Energy Man), so I will put my money on his idea of pushing for diversified sources of energy including wind. Lot of wind in west Texas and northward to Saskatchewan.
You think Pickens is a environmentalist??? He wants more money but now he knows it won't pay........
We’ll see what happens in 2-3 years,” he said. Construction of the wind farm was supposed to start in 2010, but this best-case scenario would involve a delay of at least a year. At this point there’s just no money to finance the wind project, says Pickens.
T. Boone’s Wind Farm: At Least 2-3 Years Off

The Debt Markets Cramped T. Boone’s Wind Plan

David Sassoon: Is T. Boone Pickens Selling Off Some Wind Turbines?

Old 06-11-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You think Pickens is a environmentalist??? He wants more money but now he knows it won't pay........
We’ll see what happens in 2-3 years,” he said. Construction of the wind farm was supposed to start in 2010, but this best-case scenario would involve a delay of at least a year. At this point there’s just no money to finance the wind project, says Pickens.
T. Boone’s Wind Farm: At Least 2-3 Years Off

The Debt Markets Cramped T. Boone’s Wind Plan

David Sassoon: Is T. Boone Pickens Selling Off Some Wind Turbines?
No. I never said that Pickens was an environmentalist. He makes money in the energy sector. Pickens also suggests the we utilize natural gas for truck transportation and solar (with batteries) for commuter cars. This is an ideas guy. Wants us off imported oil. Says that we spent US$475 billion last year on imported oil. (http://media.pickensplan.com/presskit/2009/pickens_highlights_06-05-09.pdf (broken link)) So, he's not an oil guy; he's an energy guy.

No money to finance wind projects, eh? That would be: (1) because wind power is such a losing proposition; or (2) because of the seized-up capital markets?

Give it 1-3 years?? If wind power was a losing proposition, then that time period would be more like: give it 100-300 years.

If the electric utility companies have built transmission lines to bring electricity from coal-fired, oil-fired, natural-gas fired generation plants to the houses of America, can't those same transmission lines be used to haul electricity generated by wind turbines? I mean, electrons don't really care how they were produced, they tend to follow the same laws of physics, right? What did I miss in my university physics classes? (I may have been asleep: physics was at 8am everyday for an entire school year!)

Last edited by Teak; 06-11-2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-11-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
big deal.....It's still only a tad over 1% of the energy produced in this country.... If you pee in the ocean does it get an saltier?
Nevertheless, taking into account population size, the figures show that despite its bigger capacity, wind energy only produces a little over 1% of US electricity demand, according to the Global Wind Energy Council (GWEC). Germany, on the other hand, satisfies 7.5% of its electricity consumption with wind energy.
Yup. You got your math correct: 1% is a small number. But I also studied math, and I discovered that to go from 0% to 100%, one must first pass through 1% (or 7.5%) before reaching 100%.

This discussion reminds me of the history of the Continental Drift Theory.

Peeing in the ocean? No, it does not make it saltier. Sea water is around 35 per mil (3.5%) salt, whereas urine is around 2%. You would be diluting the sea water, making it less salty.

Last edited by Teak; 06-11-2009 at 07:34 AM.. Reason: added material

Old 06-11-2009, 08:25 AM

1,046 posts, read 2,394,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Peeing in the ocean? No, it does not make it saltier. Sea water is around 35 per mil (3.5%) salt, whereas urine is around 2%. You would be diluting the sea water, making it less salty.
I would so steal this if it didn't make me look like I'd given the matter entirely too much thought.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:49 AM

5,760 posts, read 8,087,588 times
The important question is how many coal plants have been installed in the last 5 years? How many planned coal plants have been canceled in the last 5 years? It took 100 years to build the electricity infrastructure we have today. It will take a few more to get rid of the obsolete coal-fired plants.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:25 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,236,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
How many planned coal plants have been canceled in the last 5 years?
This will last about as long as energy prices stay relatively low. When the squeeze starts on both available energy and the cost of it the public will wake up to what all this is costing them and the mindless idiots will get voted out.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:53 PM

5,760 posts, read 8,087,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This will last about as long as energy prices stay relatively low. When the squeeze starts on both available energy and the cost of it the public will wake up to what all this is costing them and the mindless idiots will get voted out.
LOL we just voted the mindless idiot out last November.

You lose. Cap and Trade will pass. Wind costs less than brown power TODAY in PJM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living