Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:41 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,823 times

Advertisements

It is a simple fact that everything we do has an effect on the environment and I believe it is our responsibility to attempt to lesson our impact. I believe that the biggest positive impact we can have is on the individual level; people making changes in their lifestyle to improve the planet. For example our environmental laws are targeted at large industrial sources of pollution but now some of the greatest threats to our rivers and streams come from storm drain runoff, often from fertilizer used in people's yards. There is a similar problem with air; i.e. most of the pollution is now caused by individuals in their cars.

I wanted to start this thread to see what people are doing to improve our environment. What changes to policy should occur to encourage people to lead more sustainable lives? What technologies should we encourage and what technologies should we avoid?

Oh....to answer my own question, I am selling my car and going to walk everyday to work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 06:32 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,964 times
We use the same grocery paper bags over & over until they fall apart & then we recycle them. We have more recycle products than garbage. When we drive to recycle we make sure we do other errands @ the same time to minimize car trips. We are considering buying canvas bags soon.

We make a serious, constant effort to consume as little as possible!

Old 04-16-2007, 06:36 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,780,399 times
I do some but would like to do more. Of course recycle, I've been bringing my own bags to stores, shut lights when not in use, keep up with my car maintenance...

Old 04-16-2007, 07:01 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
I'm doing my part to ease the population growth in Texas - I'm moving back to California!!!

Okay, I turn off all lights when not in use and I conserve water as much as I can.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:05 AM

77 posts, read 473,973 times
Fly less....one person flying between California and Europe produces 2.5 tons of CO two, the output of one small sized car for a year. Personally, we are flying less and using compact fluorescent bulbs when possible. We walk more, recycle, and keep the thermostat lower in the winter and higher in the summer. Most of the sacrifices people are making are voluntary but if global warming is a reality, then all of us will be learning to live more frugally when it comes to energy and water consumption.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:19 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,910,223 times
i use and reuse cloth bags for shopping; i shop for local only produce, i shop at farmers markets, food co-ops, grow my own. I drive only used cars and only drive them on the weekend. walk, ride my bike, ride public transport often. eat only organic, live in small house, mow my lawn with push non motorized mower, go on natural holidays, build with reusable materials I dont buy clothes made in thirdworld, recycle all things, use enviro bulbs.

I live by the rule, live simply so others may simply live. though i dont believe in global warming

Old 04-16-2007, 01:18 PM

41,973 posts, read 75,229,826 times
I use stuff until it screams for mercy. And then I recycle it.

We're gradually replacing incandescant light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, and replacing caustic housecleaning solutions with vinegar, borax, baking soda, salt, lemon juice, etc.

Wash clothes in cold water whenever possible.

Grow my own veggies, and purchase from local organic markets out of season or for what I don't grow myself. Organic fertilizers only for the garden, and I keep compost piles that eventually fertilize the garden and replace topsoil.

This spring I'm planting at least five trees in my yard. I don't water my lawn (that just makes it grow faster ... LOL) and use drip hoses for the veggies.

When any household item made of plastic breaks or becomes unusable, I've been replacing it with a glass, ceramic or wooden counterpart when possible.

When my synthetic carpets/floors need replacing, I'll replace them with wool carpeting or, in the kitchen or bath, a natural floor surface like cork, bamboo, or ceramic tile.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:14 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
Well lets see...I own 5 vehicles...but only drive one at a time!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,537,449 times
I just bought me a brand new scooter even though it a gas scooter I get 65 miles a gallon.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,435,393 times
I recycle everything I use, give away unwanted things to charities when I no longer need or want them, use gas and ulitities wisely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living