Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 06:03 PM

974 posts, read 1,591,073 times

Advertisements

I would like to find out about adding plants to my roof as a sort of insulation as well as to help with the co2 dispersion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 06:35 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,434,246 times
if the roof was not designed with a "green" roof in mind, I would not do it. the loads on the roof are going to be substantially more than just having Asphault shingle installed, not to mention the drainage issues that would be involved.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:07 PM

974 posts, read 1,591,073 times
Ok, thank you Noahma. I wonder if I can have it re-inforced and find some way to take care of the drainage.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:39 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,434,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
Ok, thank you Noahma. I wonder if I can have it re-inforced and find some way to take care of the drainage.
That might be possible, your best bet is to see a Structural engineer, and a home designer with some experience in green building. They will be able to help you more. The question might end up being for you is price vs. reward. It might cost you more than your willing to put out to do so. Check with your insurance company, and the local building department to see if they would support such a venture as well. There are some building departments that well... are just not that open to different kinds of ideas.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,618,961 times
Check out Rooftop Gardens
Check out the "Structural considerations" at the bottom.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:41 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,408,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I would like to find out about adding plants to my roof as a sort of insulation as well as to help with the co2 dispersion.
I can't really say I'm a fan of such an architechure, but if someone wants such a layout for home living, then more power to them. I personally think you can have a conventional home with new modern technics and ideas on making a more energy effient home and personally I think that would go further.

My misgivings would be the extra maintenance of such a style of roof. I would also be wary of the problems of some eventual water leakage and gradual deterioration of materials due to microbial action over time. But in the end while I do like green things, for me personally, something has to be estetically pleasing to the visual and this ain't it for me.

Over here in Sweden, the land of supposed Eco-Green, the so-called architechural version of being green is pathetically tasteless as far as eye appeal. I've never seen such generic futuristic "Jetsons" type attempt at looking like a futiristic eco-eutopia. I'd post some pics of what I'm talking about, but they would just get deleted anyway. Trust me when I say the look here at a modern eco eutopia is depressing. I think it's possible to have the so-called green qualities incorporated into a home, but you don't need to sacrifice beauty and class in the design to accomplish it.

But here's an article on the greener roofs.

EPIC SELF | Self Improvement, Wellness, Health, Fitness, Motivation, Green Living » 2007 » August

Old 06-30-2009, 07:14 AM

18,362 posts, read 26,567,629 times
I think sod roofs are pretty nice. But you must design the roof with them in mind, as they are quite heavy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living