Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 AM

1,310 posts, read 3,055,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I too do some of those things, such as close the blinds on 10 ft windows we have when the intense sun is coming in, have all fans running to circulate the air, etc. My husband wants to get solar panels installed.

But the odd thing is that I live in FL as well, we keep AC on at 79 during day and 76 at night, several lights are always on, as are computers, 4400 sq ft house, pool pump w/heater, and $300-350 monthly bill. $250 month for 1400 sq ft seems insanely high!!
Not in the Panhandle where i live. Plus, you have to consider what people keep their house at in the summer time too and how many occupants there are in the house (with outside doors opening and closing, lights , tv runtime, showers, cooking, type of home, house exposure to the Sun, shade, etc...) . I do live by myself so i have good control over such things .

Solar water heating is a very quick return on investment here in Florida especially if you have a family , and, if your husband can build and install the system himself. Im going to do that very soon and it isnt hard at all -- you can even use the existing water heater whether it be electric or gas . If he IS going to build it and install it, i can give you an excellent site for reference.

Last edited by RVlover; 08-06-2009 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: added something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 04:31 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,909,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Not in the Panhandle where i live. Plus, you have to consider what people keep their house at in the summer time too and how many occupants there are in the house (with outside doors opening and closing, lights , tv runtime, showers, cooking, type of home, house exposure to the Sun, shade, etc...) . I do live by myself so i have good control over such things .

Solar water heating is a very quick return on investment here in Florida especially if you have a family , and, if your husband can build and install the system himself. Im going to do that very soon and it isnt hard at all -- you can even use the existing water heater whether it be electric or gas . If he IS going to build it and install it, i can give you an excellent site for reference.
Yes, we live south of you in Tampa. I agree solar energy makes a lot of sense here in FL. I doubt he has the time to build and install the system himself, we would probably hire someone, however I am sure he would love to see the site for reference just in case!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:51 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,055,781 times
Quote:
Yes, we live south of you in Tampa. I agree solar energy makes a lot of sense here in FL. I doubt he has the time to build and install the system himself, we would probably hire someone, however I am sure he would love to see the site for reference just in case!
This is the best site ive found so far. There are many good articles in here : BuildItSolar: Solar energy projects for Do It Yourselfers to save money and reduce pollution

Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:
$250 month for 1400 sq ft seems insanely high!!
I believe he mentioned mobile home which will most likely have thinner walls. I can only go by what I know of in colder climates but the difference between 2X4 walls and 2X6 walls is significant.

Old 08-06-2009, 07:05 PM

626 posts, read 1,349,765 times
Great post OP- very useful tips and to know it worked for somebody makes it even better My bill skyrocketed in July and then came down for August and will keep going down since Ive just been raising my a/c while Im not home... we also BBQ alot more so the oven is not being used and I keep the doors closed in rooms that were not in... seems to be helping

Old 08-07-2009, 01:45 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,368,163 times
We hung insulated curtains and they made a difference in both summer and winter.

When it comes to patio doors I am 100% sure that sliding ones are useless in cold climate regions. I cannot wait to replace ours with french doors made by Anderson. You might pay a little more, but the quality is there as well as the energy star rebate! Not to mention the savings on your heating bill when winter comes around again.

I'm all about saving money and the enviroment so keep the tips going on this thread!

Old 08-07-2009, 04:05 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,944,678 times
We are 93 plus day time 74 plus nights,run AC 24/7 at 78.We have cathedral ceiling with sky light and opening's in ceiling with 3 exhaust fans.We run 2 computers and 2 tv's from 7 am till 10pm,electric water heater,washer and dryer.We also run 8000 btu AC in another bldg.Might add have foam under metal roof.Electric bill may $85 June $124 July $142.We are retired,do not pay attention to electric.You must have other issues,our Fleetwood does have storm windows.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,705,162 times
Quote:
I too do some of those things, such as close the blinds on 10 ft windows we have when the intense sun is coming in, have all fans running to circulate the air, etc. My husband wants to get solar panels installed.

But the odd thing is that I live in FL as well, we keep AC on at 79 during day and 76 at night, several lights are always on, as are computers, 4400 sq ft house, pool pump w/heater, and $300-350 monthly bill. $250 month for 1400 sq ft seems insanely high!!
Gotta be honest with you. $300-$350 seems extremely high. I live in a 4,000 sq ft house, and our monthly electric bill is $113. Not only that, but with some of the energy-saving measures I've implemented, I'm actually running a pretty high credit right now. They'll probably adjust our monthly bill down to about $100 when the new cycle starts.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,705,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
We hung insulated curtains and they made a difference in both summer and winter.

When it comes to patio doors I am 100% sure that sliding ones are useless in cold climate regions. I cannot wait to replace ours with french doors made by Anderson. You might pay a little more, but the quality is there as well as the energy star rebate! Not to mention the savings on your heating bill when winter comes around again.

I'm all about saving money and the enviroment so keep the tips going on this thread!
You're spot on.

I replaced the sliding patio door with French Doors on a rental house this past year. Because the tenants pay utilities I cannot say for sure what the savings have been. But I can tell you that the entire NW part of the house is MUCH warmer just because of the new doors.

The cost was $550 (on sale) and I installed the doors myself. That's a very good return on investment.

Old 08-10-2009, 08:30 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,368,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
You're spot on.

I replaced the sliding patio door with French Doors on a rental house this past year. Because the tenants pay utilities I cannot say for sure what the savings have been. But I can tell you that the entire NW part of the house is MUCH warmer just because of the new doors.

The cost was $550 (on sale) and I installed the doors myself. That's a very good return on investment.
Ah ha! I knew it! Sliding doors are useless in colder climates.

Here in WI we live in a 1,400 sq ft home. Our gas and electric bill combined is rated at $119 a month, which is really low when compared to others in the same size house, number of people, etc.

We're looking at installing a pellet stove in the basement this year. It's mainly to help supplement our heat, and help take the chill out of the basement which isn't enclosed. I've heard a lot of good things about the stoves. The one we're looking at will actually heat a 1,400 sq ft home. Plus there is a really good energy tax rebate on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living