Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 06:22 PM

25,249 posts, read 18,405,027 times

Advertisements

There are several angles to view this from. The feasibility depends greatly on from which angle you are viewing. Yes, small wind turbines or small solar power technology is inefficient for a large-scale public system compared to other types. Yes, it’s not as economically feasible. Yes, it’s not as cost effective.

BUT, if you are looking at it from the viewpoint of someone wanting to live off the grid, it’s very attractive. One man can neither run nor does he need the power generated from coal fired or petroleum based power plants. Small wind turbines, solar cells, micro hydro generators all become great options even though they are expensive. If you want to generate your own power, you are going to spend some bucks on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:52 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,826,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
There are a lot of hurdles with wind power right now...

As for the residential windmills...its not a viable option. There are no rooftop mounts that I know of, because the vibration from the turbine would rattle a roof apart.
There are horizontal windmills being made in Chicago that address the vibration problem:

Aerotecure International - Home

Old 10-23-2009, 04:08 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,567,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
There are horizontal windmills being made in Chicago that address the vibration problem:

Interesting. Bizarre looking. Almost resembles razor wire on top of that Mercy Housing building. In fact, that whole building is butt-ugly.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,491,814 times
Quote:

I saw a show about this guy and the product. Truly amazing technology. Simple as all get out, but until this man decided it was something he could do no one had made it work, at least not this well.

These units will run in a vertical position also so if the horizontal space is limited they can still be used. Vertically mounted is preferred since wind direction does not affect their output as it does for horizontally mounted units.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:23 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,032,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ode View Post
I think they are interesting. Certainly they aren't as polluting or as unattractive as oil wells, and I have seen vast fields of those. We do need more power, and while wind can't supply all of our country's power needs it can surely reduce the need for fossil fuels. So that makes them a good thing in my book. And no, if there was a wind farm in my area it would not bother me in the slightest.
The proposals are to reach about 20% wind. Not really a "crazy" level to integrate into the system. When Black and Veatch looked at the economics, they found the cost of 20% wind versus "business as usual" to be essentially identical.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,827,038 times
Quote:

Very impressive!

Old 10-29-2009, 04:27 PM

We're actually talking about these at my work, as we weigh our limited (if sizeable) roof space and consider how best to capture renewable energy with it.

it's tough, as solar thermal is really the most mature technology, but PV seems to offer the most promise as far as future R&D improvements.

wind - a bit tougher to sell. we're talking about the horizontal wind turbines like the Aerotecture ones, but our Facility Planning guys get a bit nervous about anything involving moving parts and the roof.

btw, anyone familiar with this story?

Chicago Reader | These Parts 2009 | There Will Be Wind: Some Wisconsin residents say wind turbines are making them sick -- but it's hard to get muchsympathy when you object to something as squeaky clean as renewable energy. By Michael Miner

Old 10-30-2009, 03:13 AM

737 posts, read 1,643,305 times
Wind mills are a great concept how ever solar is better then wind. Wind mills have to be brought down and serviced one a year. They don't produce as well as solar either. A combination of wind and solar is better then just wind.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 AM

agreed, I'm on the solar bandwagon myself. my dad built a house in the late 70s in SE Wisconsin and had a solar thermal system installed, even building the roof on a 58 degree angle (or something specific like that). Only recently did I put together the sound the pump used to make (loud, but you learn to associate with hot water, which is good!), that actually went first.

unfortunately when that happened his roof was a shambles and no tax credits were out there - but the panels were donated to a local greenhouse, I understand they are still working fine. I'm hoping to install a new solar thermal system for him ni the next year or two, taking the classes with a contractor friend at Midwest Renewable Energy Association

Old 11-04-2009, 02:19 PM

you all might like this:

Not Just Tilting at Windmills « All 2009 News « News « College of Liberal Arts & Sciences « University of Illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living