Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:26 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,623,751 times

Advertisements

BERLIN (Reuters) – Germans, who sometimes see themselves as guardians of the environment, are hoarding energy-guzzling incandescent light bulbs ahead of a looming European Union-wide ban, the GfK market research agency said.

The Nuremberg-based GfK reported sales of incandescent bulbs had soared about 35 percent in the first half of the year ahead of a ban that starts Tuesday -- even though it was proposed by German Environment Minister Sigmar Gabriel in 2007.

Hoarding energy-guzzling bulbs ahead of EU ban - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090831/od_nm/us_germany_bulbs - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,905,407 times
Well, I don't see why we can't have both, with a restriction on wattage. Some of those flouescent lights don't produce a pretty glow. And what about people who produce their own electricity ? I don't use anything higher than a 60 watt. Some of my lampshades are designed to clip onto a bare bulb. Some of those flourescents are curly q types. Halogen lights are garish. Can't they at least make a diffraction shade so that they don't blind people ? I am all for saving energy. I just think that lighting should be pleasant to look at. I am donating all of my 100 watters. I had an idea of placing them into holes in a wooden board, lined up with tiny colored lights behind them. A new recycled low watt party light ?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:53 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,513,800 times
I can't stand fluorescent lights. Actually I don't like electric lighting in general and prefer oil and gas lighting, better for your eyes. But I don't mind the early carbon filament type lightbulbs and have both originals and repros. I think until the toxic waste problem with CFL's is worked out there shouldn't be a ban on other bulbs.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:24 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
I heat with electricity so the incandescent bulbs are just heaters that produce useful light as a byproduct. I have an antique light floor light that uses the "mogul" big base bulbs in 100-200-300 watt size. These are already hard to get so I am building a supply. I do have some fluorescents but mostly in the basement where the glare does not bother me so much.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:10 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,691,842 times
I'm sorry, but this is all just stupid.

First of all, it's not a proven fact that CFL bulbs really save that much energy.

Second, what ever happened to people being allowed to have a choice?

What's next on the Environmental Police State Agenda?

Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,088,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
First of all, it's not a proven fact that CFL bulbs really save that much energy.
Here's simple experiment you can do, get one incandescent and one CFL that produce equal amount of light. Turn them on for about 1 minute then grab both.

All that heat you feel from the incandescent is wasted energy unless of course it's winter time, if it's summer and you have AC on it actually has to be offset.

Quote:
Second, what ever happened to people being allowed to have a choice?
I can agree but I really think it's no brainer, the cost of the bulbs have come down significantly. They last much longer and use less electric.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,308,249 times
I replaced the majority of the light bulbs in my house with CFLs mostly due to the heat that incandescents generate. My house has 8 foot ceilings and you can really feel the heat coming off those things. Putting my clothes away in my closet was miserable until I changed the bulb. I would break into a sweat standing in that closet for more than a few minutes. Plus, you should not have a bare incandescent bulb in your closet anyway (due to heat, in some areas it is a code violation). The energy savings will be small, sure, but I think it is worth it. Plus a lot of CFLs are available in a "warm" finish that produce a pretty pleasant result. My boyfriend did not even notice that I had changed most of the light bulbs.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,723,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Here's simple experiment you can do, get one incandescent and one CFL that produce equal amount of light. Turn them on for about 1 minute then grab both.
Here's a simple experiment: Get one incandescent and one CFL that are supposed to produce an equal amount of light, place them next to each other in lamps, turn them on, and compare the amount of light actually produced.

This experiment shows why I do not have any CFL lighting in my home, and won't until they actually produce the amount of light the manufacturers say they do.

I will hoard my bulbs until this is rectified.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:

All that heat you feel from the incandescent is wasted energy unless of course it's winter time, if it's summer and you have AC on it actually has to be offset.
Don't get me wrong. Virtually every bulb in my house is a CFL bulb. I'm all for conserving energy in every way possible.

But lights aren't the principle source of electricity usage in any home. Most sources say that lights make up between 10%-15% of the electricity bill. So even if we cut that amount in half, it's not a huge savings.

In addition, the verdict is still out regarding whether CFLs actually save as much energy as they claim. Also, quite a few people believe that the CFL bulb that claims to put out 75 watts of light puts out nowhere near as much light as the 75 watt incandescent.

The bottom line in my home is that we are saving somewhere around $2.00 - $3.00 per month by having all CFL bulbs. Of course, this is due partly to me being very fastidious about turning lights off when nobody is in a room.

Where we HAVE seen savings is in replacing our electric stove with gas, and installing an energy efficient washer & dryer, and refrigerator. In addition, I've super-insulated our house, we have a high-efficiency furnace & heat pump, etc. Our total utility bill (electric, water, garbage, recycle, electricity, gas) for our 4,000 square foot home averages just under $200 per month.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I can agree but I really think it's no brainer, the cost of the bulbs have come down significantly. They last much longer and use less electric.
I've had some CFL bulbs burn out in less than a month.

Not all CFL bulbs are created the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living