Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 11:39 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,818,001 times

Advertisements

It scares me when I think of how many buildings were demolished here with fluorescent lamps inside. Even worse is how many fluorescent lamps I have broken myself, even playing "light saber" with them as a kid. Well, at least I had gloves and lab goggles when they would break. Over 50 for sure out by the street over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 04:29 PM

8,286 posts, read 38,863,991 times
It's easy to get people concerned about mercury, not so easy to truly understand what amounts are actually dangerous. The selection of the setpoint for "acceptable" levels of mercury in fish is a bit on the arbitrary side (a helluva lot of CYA going on within the regulatory bodies) to really justify changing your diet. If you eat fish 3 meals per day, 7 days per week - maybe you should be concerned but I'm not buying the big, evil mercury fish epidemic.

It actually does make sense that big, slow growing, long lived fish would carry more mercury in their tissues than smaller fish simply by virtue of a longer cumulative exposure period, so maybe it would be wise to curb your out-of-control swordfish and sharkmeat habit if you have one.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:08 AM

314 posts, read 933,697 times
mercury is one thing but the amount of other chemicals they dont even test for is more worrisome to me. I forget the exact numbers but a majority of fish in alot of rivers have high levels of chemicals from pharmaceuticals....female hormones (pill) and many anti-bacterial soaps act as hormones upon entering waterways.

In these rivers the male fish are growing eggs in their testicles......this scares me more than a little mercury as crazy as that sounds.

Rivers and bays along the mid-atlantic list one 8oz meal per year of many popular fish....at best its one 8oz meal per month.

Also alot of the fish on advisories are smaller fish....that are born and rasied in the estuary (nursery) These fish for whatever reason seem to be more likely to be contaminated if you believe consumption advisories the states put out. Baluga whales in the st lawarnce are dieing of strange cancer like illnesses and males are unable to breed becuase of chemicals......all the chems going into our waterways are supposedly safe....but nobody thought to test the chemical cocktails that are made from a bunch of seemingly harmless household items, or approved safe for discharge chems, or even our own urine.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:20 AM

9,519 posts, read 11,282,244 times
Don't worry, be happy.
There's mercury in vaccines, so it must be good for us!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:05 PM

8,286 posts, read 38,863,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Don't worry, be happy.
There's mercury in vaccines, so it must be good for us!
And vaccines are obviously terrible, so mercury must be the worst thing ever! Or so says Jenny McCarthy, anyway!

Old 10-19-2009, 04:47 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,107,252 times
Reminds me of when I first went fishing in colorado. Saw some beautiful streams has we we going up the mountains and thouhgt we should fisher there, Guide said they had no fish from heavy metals from mine trailings dumped during the 1800's mining.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 AM

955 posts, read 4,105,519 times
The PA fish commission has consumption warnings/recomendations for all fish caught within the state. As might be expected, larger fish and bottom dwellers (catfish, carp, ...) have a higher concentration of chemicals. The guidelines are based on the detection of all chemicals not just mercury. They also suggest that in preparing fish, you remove the dark colored flesh along the sides and on the back.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,236,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
you remove the dark colored flesh along the sides and on the back.
I'd recommend that cause it taste like ****. LOL

Old 10-20-2009, 12:36 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,410,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd recommend that cause it taste like ****. LOL
Hmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll just have to take your word on what **** tastes like.

I think I'd take my chances with Mercury.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,236,140 times
It's down near the poop chute coincidentally. There's a darker section of meat on the fillet and it has a heavy fish taste. I don't like fish that much but that's the worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living