Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 08:34 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,084,504 times

Advertisements

Here's the government's recommendation of fish. Seems pretty sane to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA
Fish and shellfish are an important part of a healthy diet. Fish and shellfish contain high-quality protein and other essential nutrients, are low in saturated fat, and contain omega-3 fatty acids. A well-balanced diet that includes a variety of fish and shellfish can contribute to heart health and children's proper growth and development. So, women and young children in particular should include fish or shellfish in their diets due to the many nutritional benefits.

However, nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of mercury. For most people, the risk from mercury by eating fish and shellfish is not a health concern. Yet, some fish and shellfish contain higher levels of mercury that may harm an unborn baby or young child's developing nervous system. The risks from mercury in fish and shellfish depend on the amount of fish and shellfish eaten and the levels of mercury in the fish and shellfish.

Therefore, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) are advising women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children to avoid some types of fish and eat fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.

By following these three recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.
  1. Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.
  2. Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
    • Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
    • Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.
  3. Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.
Follow these same recommendations when feeding fish and shellfish to your young child, but serve smaller portions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 PM

314 posts, read 932,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Here's the government's recommendation of fish. Seems pretty sane to me.

Yes it does, until you then look at each states consumption advisories that are in direct conflict with the above post. Did you watch the frontline special I posted?

If i had time I would post half a dozen up but Im sure if your interested you will check them out yourself.

That frontline special i posted up has direct footage from the nations capitol.....Some good stuff going on in the Potomac (sarcasm).

Old 10-27-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancan View Post
Yes it does, until you then look at each states consumption advisories that are in direct conflict with the above post. Did you watch the frontline special I posted?

If i had time I would post half a dozen up but Im sure if your interested you will check them out yourself.

That frontline special i posted up has direct footage from the nations capitol.....Some good stuff going on in the Potomac (sarcasm).
The Potomac is cleaner than it's been in years. It still suffers from old mine drainage and obsolete urban sewer systems, a problem that many areas deal with, but that's a so what. There's no commercial fishing in the Potomac that I've ever seen and little sports fishing.

BTW nobody has ever caught a fish in the nations capitol [sic].

I eat a lot of fish and don't worry too much about Frontline.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:18 AM

18,362 posts, read 26,567,629 times
Quote:

Everyone should be vigilant in seeing where their fish come from. An Alaskan salmon is not going to be a problem. A fish from some other locations may be. Location, location, location...more than just a factor with real estate.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
The Potomac is cleaner than it's been in years. It still suffers from old mine drainage and obsolete urban sewer systems, a problem that many areas deal with, but that's a so what. There's no commercial fishing in the Potomac that I've ever seen and little sports fishing.

Head in the sand, thats a good approach....if you think your insulated from whats in fish because you dont eat them your dead wrong....its all in your drinking water.....watch and learn. Frontline is as non biased a report as your going to get.

Or do you think thats all a conspiracy too......

Old 10-27-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Head in the sand, thats a good approach....if you think your insulated from whats in fish because you dont eat them your dead wrong....its all in your drinking water.....watch and learn. Frontline is as non biased a report as your going to get.

Or do you think thats all a conspiracy too......
LOL You should re-read. I do eat fish regularly. But I don't eat fish from the Potomac. I like salt water fish.

I do drink the tap water. I had mine tested for lead a few years ago when we had a legitimate scare. We don't have lead pipes so I drink away.

I don't think it's a conspiracy. I think we have a bunch of Chicken Littles in this country.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 PM

Keep your head in the sand you'll be fine.....93percent of the chems in the water cannot be filtered out.

then there is the hundreds of chemicals they cant even test for yet. EPA has admitted they cant test for hardly
anything we are dumping in our waters nowadays....

If you dont want to discuss the topic than I suggest you dont clog the thread with your lack of wit, Let other gleen what
info they want.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 PM

Here is an interesting read, I have been following this story for some time....seems to show a correlation between whats in the water and animals and human cases of the same type maladies.

Jean-Michel Cousteau : Ocean Adventures . Beluga Whales Under Threat | PBS

This link talks about endocrine disruption in fish....some upstream from DC. This is the same water that is drawn later to use for human consumption. This is part of whats talked about in the above aforementioned Frontline special....

Tackling Fish Endocrine Disruption

Old 10-27-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:

no commercial fishing in the potomac? are you serious? tells me you dont know what your speaking about. It is also fished heavily recreational and on the subsitance side....come on if your going to try and sound informed please dont make such silly comments.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
no commercial fishing in the potomac? are you serious? tells me you dont know what your speaking about. It is also fished heavily recreational and on the subsitance side....come on if your going to try and sound informed please dont make such silly comments.
Please tell me where the Potomac is fished comerically. I can imaging there some down at it's mouth, but that's really Chesapeake Bay. Any commerical freshwater fishing that you can cite?

I see a few people sport fishing upstream of the fall line, but usually you can count them on one hand. If you go out to Hains Point you may find a few more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living