Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:59 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times

Advertisements

I didn't see this posted here and so i wanted to post this as the U.S. Geological Survey tested 291 streams in the U.S. and all the fish caught test positive for Methyl Mercury.

So if you fish from our streams watch what you eat .
Mercury found in all fish caught in U.S.-tested streams - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
I don't eat anything that swims. Of course that has nothing to do with Mercury, I just don't like the taste!

As for Mercury, I used to play with it when I was kid. I'm not dead yet.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:54 AM

799 posts, read 1,445,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I don't eat anything that swims. Of course that has nothing to do with Mercury, I just don't like the taste!

I never cared for fish either. I haven't eaten any fish in over 20 years. I like mammals, they're tasty.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:45 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
Quote:

Mercury is not known for causing death in children -- just retardation.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:48 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Mercury is not known for causing death in children -- just retardation.

What's that mean?

(From the end of a TV series I can't remember the name of)

Old 09-05-2009, 03:06 PM

74 posts, read 284,399 times
This mercury problem includes the fish in the oceans. Also, the bigger the fish the more mercury they are suppose to have. Some say not to eat more than 6 oz. of Tuna a week. People are doing a good job at destroying the oceans.

Another problem is when the Oxygen in the water becomes depleted. In those areas only giant jellyfish can live there. Japanese fishermen have been having plenty of problems with those giant jellyfish.

Map of Oxygen depleted areas.
http://economicobjectorvism.files.wo...on-map-wri.jpg

This is a video on it:

YouTube - Dead Zones

Old 09-06-2009, 04:15 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
I would expect that every fish within the US would test positive for Mercury now or 1000 years ago. Mercury emissions are both natural and man made, by EPA estimates split about 1/3 natural and 1/3 man made. The other 1/3 is mercury that was previously emitted and remitted. Understand these are estimates and the exact numbers are hard to pin point. If my understanding is correct the single greatest source of mercury is the naturally occurring emissions from the oceans. The greatest man made source is coal plants but within the US coal plants account for about 1% of the global pool. Total man made US emissions only account for 3% of the global pool....

It's a global problem, another EPA estimate that only 1/3 of the emissions produced in the US are actually deposited in the US. I'd venture to guess man made contamination in the US is more likely to be produced in China than here.

Quote:
  • Mercury emitted from coal-fired power plants comes from mercury in coal, which is released when the coal is burned. While coal-fired power plants are the largest remaining source of human-generated mercury emissions in the United States, they contribute very little to the global mercury pool. Recent estimates of annual total global mercury emissions from all sources -- both natural and human-generated -- range from roughly 4,400 to 7,500 tons per year. Human-caused U.S. mercury emissions are estimated to account for roughly 3 percent of the global total, and U.S. coal-fired power plants are estimated to account for only about 1 percent.
  • EPA has conducted extensive analyses on mercury emissions from coal-fired power plants and subsequent regional patterns of deposition to U.S. waters. Those analyses conclude that regional transport of mercury emission from coal-fired power plants in the U.S. is responsible for very little of the mercury in U.S. waters. That small contribution will be significantly reduced after EPA’s Clean Air Interstate Rule and Clean Air Mercury Rule are implemented.

Source: Mercury Emissions: A Global Problem (http://www.epa.gov/mercuryrule/factsheetfin.htm - broken link)

Quote:
The U.S. is the third largest emitter of anthropogenic mercury although its emissions, estimated to account for roughly three percent of the global total, are far lower than emissions from China, the largest source globally. In the U.S. and globally, coal combustion is the largest source of anthropogenic mercury emissions. (United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), The Global Atmospheric Mercury Assessment: Sources, Emissions and Transport (PDF), Geneva, 2008) (44 pp., 6.8M, about PDF).

EPA has estimated that about one third of U.S. emissions are deposited within the contiguous U.S. and the remainder enters the global cycle.

Source: Mercury Emissions: The Global Context
Quote:
Natural sources of mercury—such as volcanic eruptions and emissions from the ocean—have been estimated to contribute about a third of current worldwide mercury air emissions, whereas anthropogenic (human-caused) emissions account for the remaining two-thirds. These estimates are highly uncertain. Land, water, and other surfaces can repeatedly re-emit mercury into the atmosphere after its initial release into the environment. Much of the mercury circulating through today's environment is mercury that was released years ago. The pie chart below shows that anthropogenic emissions are roughly split between these re-emitted emissions from previous human activity, and direct emissions from current human activity.

Mercury Emissions: The Global Context

Old 09-06-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
What's that mean?

(From the end of a TV series I can't remember the name of)
I was just joking with you -- calling you a retard.

Thought it was a little funny. Maybe not.

I used to play with it, too. We would heat and drive the oxygen off from the ore without even using vents, hoods, etc. back in Chemistry class -- and then walk around playing with the stuff all day.

Not saying that does not make the stuff every bit as harmful as the later studies have found. We just lacked that knowledge and hence had poor judgment. You may also know that some folks have looked at the rise of Hg in vaccines as a causal agent of Autism.

But like you, we do not eat fish, either. Our kids think the fishing pole (with fish treats tied on the string) exists to feed fish -- about like throwing old bread out for the ducks.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would expect that every fish within the US would test positive for Mercury now or 1000 years ago.
Since that is the starting point of your presentation -- Just curious -- if some 1000 year old fish parts were scanned and found little to no Hg present would you:

A) Come back and say that maybe burring Coal and dumping Hg into the air was not such a good idea, or

B) Claim the Hg or lack of was caused due to other factors, or

C) Claim that scanning 1000 year old fish parts was fake science?

Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ounce View Post
This mercury problem includes the fish in the oceans. Also, the bigger the fish the more mercury they are suppose to have. Some say not to eat more than 6 oz. of Tuna a week. People are doing a good job at destroying the oceans.

Another problem is when the Oxygen in the water becomes depleted. In those areas only giant jellyfish can live there. Japanese fishermen have been having plenty of problems with those giant jellyfish.

Map of Oxygen depleted areas.
http://economicobjectorvism.files.wo...on-map-wri.jpg

This is a video on it:

YouTube - Dead Zones
Global warming, poisoned fish, soil erosion and now giant jelly fish. Were in crisis alright. A crisis crisis.
A polar bear on melting ice or a pile of dead fish is all it takes to keep the money rolling in. Then off to something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living