Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 02:30 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,645,708 times

Advertisements

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) - After working out at a gym, Amy Mahaffy dropped off a half-dozen glass jars in a city recycling container before heading home.
The containers however won't end up being recycled any time soon. Their destination: A mound of glass at the city landfill, an ever-growing monument to the difficulty many communities across the country face in finding a market for a commodity that's too cheap for its own good.

In Cheyenne, glass pile shows recycling challenges
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:04 AM

259 posts, read 706,261 times
President Obama can easily solve this problem through taxation of every glass container sold in America. Lets say two bucks per container just for starters. That would certainly create value for all those cheaper glass containers currently piling up in landfills all across the nation.

And the real payoff comes when our dear leader discovers he needs to start up a secondary program where we have to pay additional taxes on top of the new glass container tax to help all the poor people pay for the two dollar tax on every glass container.

So you see, more government at greater cost to the people will solve all of our problems no matter what they might be.

Signed; dear leader.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:34 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Considering the raw material for glass is cheap, abundant and easily attainable you have to wonder if it's worth the effort.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:20 AM

259 posts, read 706,261 times
There will never be a market for recycled glass, or maybe they'll just create a market at great expense to the consumer/taxpayer.

Either way, everything we make here on planet earth will eventually decompose back into planet earth, so whats the big rush.

If the human race disappeared today, any and all evidence of our existence here on earth would disappear in little more than the blink of an eye as measured in geological time.

That's why I have to laugh a little whenever I see one of those eco wiener commercials claiming plastic grocery bags will last forever in our landfills.......

Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanque Verde View Post
That's why I have to laugh a little whenever I see one of those eco wiener commercials claiming plastic grocery bags will last forever in our landfills.......
Those landfills will be prime real estate in the not so distant future and the older they are the more valuable they will be. Everything you could possibly want is in them. Metals and plastics just to name two.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:43 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,449,684 times
Is it out of vogue to read linked article all the way to the end now?
Quote:
Within sight of its landfill glass, Cheyenne has begun building a recycling center that will handle a variety of materials including glass. The city still needs to complete two more leachate wells at the landfill, Pino said, and after that the center should be able to process the rest of the stockpiled glass.

. . .

The city plans to buy a glass pulverizer and is considering at least two uses for the glass it plans to grind into a fine consistency—in place of sand in road construction and at playgrounds, Pino said.

"It's not dangerous. It's been tested—it works great," he said. "We don't want to just keep stockpiling it. We want to find another use for it."
Doesn't sound like that much of a problem to me.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:40 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,022,443 times
Funny thing is that glass and metal are those materials that go back to their basic forms in the environment... and they pose no threat or harm other than physical sharp edges. We could dump such things in the sea for reefs or use it in soil and paving aggregates with no adverse effects. I live near the coast. Everyone loves sea glass.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:23 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,123,787 times
there actually is a market for recycled glass. Countertops are made of recycled glass.
So are floors, glasswares, for use in in water filtration, for cleaning rust or paint as opposed to sandblasting...and in decorative glasswares, as well. There are a lot of uses for the product, and it is up to that communities leaders to find the avenues available to them that will enable them to reuse this valuable resource.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:18 AM

The key poconoproud is finding a market close the where they at. They mention a facility close by but the facility wants "clean" glass. According to the article the separation of colors is important. I'm sure there is demand for it but I'll also imagine it has or will reach saturation. You're starting with a product that can be created fro resources with little value to begin with. If it's going to cost you more to recycle it which would probably include using more energy suchas shipping it somewhere it's pretty pointless to do it for both economic and environmental reasons.

Quote:
for use in in water filtration
I'd imagine it makes excellent water filter for the same reason anthracite coal does. Anthracite fractures into many odd shapes as would the glass as opposed to sand which would have a much rounder shape. The filters are just as effective as sand but because they have these odd shapes they don't clog up as fast and can last much longer.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:20 PM

45,502 posts, read 60,734,312 times
Crushed glass can also be used in the asphalt mix for parking lots although it's not strong enough for highway use. Ocean City, MD uses it.
One use for waste glass is to mix it in with new glass at about a 10% rate, it helps lower the melting point of the raw materials (sand, soda ash, lime, etc.) therefore lowering the furnace temperature and saving on energy costs. The problem is mixed colors which are effectively impossible to remove from the cullet. We used to do this at the glass plant I worked at which made all clear (flint) bottles although we had one machine with a color option. That glass had to be segregated from all the rest, even the Bacardi bottles that had just a hint of green. We also had recycling days where we paid folks 7 cents/lb (I think, it was 30+ years ago) if they brought their separated by color bottles in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living