U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2009, 02:12 PM
 
1,461 posts, read 1,348,284 times
Reputation: 790

Advertisements

How come no one talks about population control? It seems to me that as long as we have billions of people wanting more and more, the entire green movement is a farce. Even the green movement seems to have abandoned this. The population keeps growing and there are just so many resources. Has the green movement abandoned population control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Visitation between Wal-Mart & Home Depot
8,308 posts, read 35,642,259 times
Reputation: 7117
What sort of population control are you talking about? The only kind of population control that would be even remotely acceptable in a public platform for any individual or organization would be benign, vanilla discussion of the benefits of limiting your family to one or two children. Even that is going to draw boundless and vitriolic criticism of unbelieveable intensity. There are some things you just can't say or support if "widespread acceptance" and "positive exposure" are among your goals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Nort Seid
5,288 posts, read 7,904,349 times
Reputation: 2453
Americans have about 3% of the world's population yet consume 25% of the earth's resources.

It is certainly going to be a problem when the masses in China and India start wanting to consume at our levels, but it really isn't up to us to tell them how many children they are permitted, so all we can do is try to clean up our own acts and lead by example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 PM
 
41,833 posts, read 43,749,017 times
Reputation: 17717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Americans have about 3% of the world's population yet consume 25% of the earth's resources.
...and there is absolutely no reason to be apologetic for that.

As far as population control I wouldn't be too concerned about it because mother nature will take care of that issue at some point. Vast numbers of people will die in the future whether it's the super bug, famine, an enormous volcanic eruption or a combination of many things....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2009, 06:17 PM
 
9,807 posts, read 14,113,120 times
Reputation: 8179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Americans have about 3% of the world's population yet consume 25% of the earth's resources.

It is certainly going to be a problem when the masses in China and India start wanting to consume at our levels, but it really isn't up to us to tell them how many children they are permitted, so all we can do is try to clean up our own acts and lead by example.

and American farmers, whose production is priced on the world market, produce so much food that there is a surplus and must export a lot of their production world wide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
31,824 posts, read 51,826,787 times
Reputation: 21071
In the 70's there was a big push for zero-growth. And as a result today in the US many families are not even replacing themselves. Each family needs to produce 2.5 children if you hope that your off-spring will grow to adult hood and have off-spring themselves.

But our reproduction rate is like 1.8

Some nations of Europe their rate is down as low as 1.3


We used to be foster-parents, and we had 5 children with us [1 bio, 1 adopted, and 3 foster], we got stares. On occasion jokes about if we knew what 'causes children'.

Americans feel comfortable telling others what 'proper' limits are to the size of their families.

And if you have more than the norm, strangers will confront you in public.

We know a few 'quiver-ful' families, whose religious belief is that they want big families. Big like my grandparents had, 12 or 15 children. However large families today get a lot of grief thrown at them in public.



I have heard on Public Broadcasting that 'education' is responsible. That whenever a culture brings in 'education' to the masses, that their reproduction drops, often to below self-sustaining.

In the US now, our 'growth' is from immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,955 posts, read 18,427,149 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhandle View Post
How come no one talks about population control? It seems to me that as long as we have billions of people wanting more and more, the entire green movement is a farce. Even the green movement seems to have abandoned this. The population keeps growing and there are just so many resources. Has the green movement abandoned population control?
Can you say "H1N1"?

There are people in this world who know that the human population is now past the planets capacity to carry them (the calculated planet capacity is 2 billion) The question is.....what length's will these people ,and/or gov't, go to cause the populations to stop growing and/or decrease.

Zero population growth had already been tried worldwide and it has failed badly. So now the unthinkable must be though about.

If something is not done to stop/reduce the number of humans on the planet millions will starve or be killed due to killer diseases that are new to human kind due to massive mutations. Already hundred so species go extinct every year due to the effects of 6+ billion humans on Planet Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Minnysoda
9,517 posts, read 9,130,617 times
Reputation: 5907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Americans have about 3% of the world's population yet consume 25% of the earth's resources.

It is certainly going to be a problem when the masses in China and India start wanting to consume at our levels, but it really isn't up to us to tell them how many children they are permitted, so all we can do is try to clean up our own acts and lead by example.
Balls ! You think for a second the chicoms are going to anything just because we do HAHAHAHAAHAHA They will laugh at us more then the do now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Minnysoda
9,517 posts, read 9,130,617 times
Reputation: 5907
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
...and there is absolutely no reason to be apologetic for that.

As far as population control I wouldn't be too concerned about it because mother nature will take care of that issue at some point. Vast numbers of people will die in the future whether it's the super bug, famine, an enormous volcanic eruption or a combination of many things....


We routinely see her flush the toilet with a typhoon or hurricane sooner or later it will be a big one and wipe out half of us.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2009, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Midwest
4,904 posts, read 7,671,340 times
Reputation: 8979
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
...and there is absolutely no reason to be apologetic for that.

As far as population control I wouldn't be too concerned about it because mother nature will take care of that issue at some point. Vast numbers of people will die in the future whether it's the super bug, famine, an enormous volcanic eruption or a combination of many things....
Indeed. Mother Nature will balance the scales, she always does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
We routinely see her flush the toilet with a typhoon or hurricane sooner or later it will be a big one and wipe out half of us.......
And most will be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top