Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooPooPlatter View Post
My belief that corn is a lousy thing to feed animals that are created to eat grass has nothing to do with Tad or Shell Oil, but has everything to do with the fact that I believe that cattle deserve to have a healthy ruminate and immune system. Deal with it. See you in the Grass Fed thread.
Thank you for adding an exclamation point to the fact that you just don't get it.

Your hero Tad is lying - because Shell Oil is paying him to lie. He claims that ethanol is financially non-viable, but in order to make that claim he simply lies. He lies about the end product. He claims that ethanol companies have to pay people to dispose of the waste, when the FACT is farmers buy the "mash."

And since you don't know any better, it's not cattle the farmers are feeding the processed corn mash to. Think about it.

Now... Given your obvious ignorance about all things agricultural, why would you expect to be taken seriously in your opinion about cattle "not being created to eat corn"? Do you not realize that cattle have been eating corn for thousands of years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 10:12 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooPooPlatter View Post
You really have a Tad fetish.
And you have an ethanol ignorance.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:27 AM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
^ I'm wondering if you read the article.

Here's the clinker... Cars that are designed and set up to run off gasoline are not going to do as well on ethanol. It's the same misnomer as thinking that a diesel engine will run just as well on gasoline - and that there's something wrong with the gasoline if that doesn't happen.

In light of the FACT that they have designed Formula 1 engines to run on pure alcohol, wouldn't it make sense that they could do the same with passenger cars if they wanted to?

Also, do some deeper research on this whole "anti-ethanol blitz" that's been going on the past few years. It is led by a "professor" named Tad Patzek who "just happened" to be an engineer for Shell Oil, and who "just happened" to have his anti-ethanol research funded by Shell Oil. Then, unfortunately, all the little sheeple just copy and paste his stuff instead of thinking and researching things themselves.

Watch and wait. When Big Oil has bought up enough ethanol plants, and owns a controlling share in the market, you will suddenly hear how ethanol is GREAT for both cars AND the environment. It's already happening, but wait 5 years and everything will be hunky-dory with ethanol.

Big Oil's Big Stall On Ethanol
Running a engine on pure alcohol is nothing new.. they do it in drag racing all the time. The cooling effect of the alcohol helps prevent detonation. One of the drawbacks to running alcohol is it requires more of it to make the same power. In a drag car it doesn't matter but in your everyday vehicle you are going to use more of it do go the same distance as gas or diesel. Where is the "greeness" in that ?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
FWIW - Formula 1 engines run on very high octane gasoline. IRL (Indy Racing League) cars run on 100% ethanol after switching last year from straight methanol. Drag racing engines run on anything from gasoline through alcohols, ethanol and methanol, to various methanol based mixtures including nitro methane to straight nitro. I think there are both road racing classes and dragsters that use Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel in compression ignition (Diesel) engines.

I do think the ethanol fuel economy was designed to increase farm (Blue State) subsidies while utilizing the excess feed corn. I am willing to believe that an, or a group of, oil companies would manipulate ethanol prices in order to eventually extend their monopoly over transportation energy supplies. Even if the business collusion is illegal it makes good business policy to maintain an effective monopoly. After all what Attorney General is going to have the courage to prosecute monopolistic companies in the energy business.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:01 PM

13,626 posts, read 10,027,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona1 View Post
Wow this was kinds shocking, but I'm guessing not surprizing. Ethanol-powered vehicles generate more ozone than gas-powered ones

This article gives no baseline for Gasoline pollutant level to compare the with the methanol level, so the results are of little help.

I believe the Methanol production needs fermentation, How much Co2 is made, and what is done with it, but that’s another subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living