Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 3,719 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are doing an experiment. In 2010 we try to consume as little as possible and as sustainable as possible. If you're interested in our experiences, please see our blog (Consumeless for a year).

Now I am looking for sustainable (preferably organic) hair styling products and deodorant. As for the latter, I've tried a few (Weleda, Dr. Hauschka, Lavera), but I was wondering whether anyone had good experiences with other brands. As for the hair styling products, I have found some hair gels and waxes, but I hope to find something more like a shaper.

Any tips and suggestions would be more than welcome!

Thanks!
Karin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 10:57 AM

628 posts, read 2,069,931 times
No deodorant is necessary.
Do an experiment for two weeks, you don't need it unless your job is physical labor.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 AM

373 posts, read 1,170,738 times
I apply baking soda under my arms, and it really works well! For my hair, I use a tiny dab of olive oil. A little dab'll do!

Old 01-13-2010, 08:54 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarinSlegers View Post
Hi,

My boyfriend and I are doing an experiment. In 2010 we try to consume as little as possible and as sustainable as possible. If you're interested in our experiences, please see our blog (Consumeless for a year).

Now I am looking for sustainable (preferably organic) hair styling products and deodorant. As for the latter, I've tried a few (Weleda, Dr. Hauschka, Lavera), but I was wondering whether anyone had good experiences with other brands. As for the hair styling products, I have found some hair gels and waxes, but I hope to find something more like a shaper.

Any tips and suggestions would be more than welcome!

Thanks!
Karin
Deodorant- Crystal Body Deodorant, followed by a drop of essential oil for scent works fine for me. Downside the oil can stain certain fabrics if you aren't paying attention. Omit oil in those instances. Upside is one stick coincides with your experiment-- one year.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
No deodorant is necessary.
Do an experiment for two weeks, you don't need it unless your job is physical labor.
This is not true for everyone. I stand around teaching all day. If I don't use deodorant/antiperspirant, I smell like a gut wagon by the end of the day, and I am only causing grief for all those around me and embarrassing myself.

It totally depends on your body chemistry. I'm sure there are folks who can forgo deodorant and not bathe for a week. Some people can forgo brushing their teeth as well. I'm just not one of those people. For me, sustainable deodorant is one that keeps me from stinking at the end of the day. I only have two brands of antiperspirant to choose from that actually work for me. The rest, I may as well not even apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzt83 View Post
I apply baking soda under my arms, and it really works well!
Oh boy... Okay, I'm sure it works for some folks. Let's just say this one hits close to home. My ex-wife used baking soda for deodorant. Let's just say it didn't work at all for her. She thought it did, but... well, what could I say to her? It was a very touchy subject--a situation where I really couldn't divulge the hard truth without asking for some serious trouble.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:59 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
i agree
i do not wear deodorant normally, but i do/have to when i go into the office.

nothing green i or my wife have tried works very well.

anti perspirant, in general seems scary. it is one to mask or neutralize your smell with something powerful, vs blocking your pores.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,719 times
Default Thx!

Hey, thanks for all of your replies! I read about the soda deodorant thing, but always wondered how to apply the stuff. Not so curious to try though... I now use deodorant of Lavera (Lavera & Lavere - Organic, All Natural Makeup, Skin Care, Anti-Aging & Sunscreen), which is actually quite good!

Still looking for a good hair product though. I found gel and wax, but I'd prefer some kind of shaper. But I guess the ingredients that make a product a shaper are by default not sustainable...

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living