Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 10:03 AM

40 posts, read 109,829 times

Advertisements

Visited recently and came back to NY Metro area deciding not to retire to Winston afterall.
First, I forgot how hot and HUMID it was in the South. Also the Arts District downtown is kind of interesting but not what I would call vibrant and alive. I had hoped more individual artists galleries and not just folk art stuff would have been there. But I know I have been spoiled by downtown art in NYC.
Went around with a realtor Peace Haven Road, Clemmons and saw some nice brick ranch houses, well built, and inexpensive.
But I got the sense that Winston is a good conventional city with life focused on surburban neighborhood and nearby shopping malls.
I guess I am looking for more of a self contained, smaller city/town and a little more funky- like a college town. And, well, mor interesting and dynamic.
I had totally thought I would move to Winston and really cannot say too much bad about it. Just after my visit and I thought about it, not a lot to get excited about either. And that humidity!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,156,229 times
Ummm, okay. Thanks, I guess...

Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM

22 posts, read 94,928 times
Current weather conditions....7-7-10....2:20 pm

Weather for New York, NY - Add to iGoogle
98°F | °C
Current: Partly Cloudy
Wind: E at 8 mph
Humidity: 34%

Weather for Winston-Salem, NC - Add to iGoogle
95°F | °C
Current: Sunny
Wind: E at 5 mph
Humidity: 28%

Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 PM

Smile Yes, but..

We are having an unusual heat wave. In June Winston had 10 days in the 90s and where I live in Connecticut had zero. This heat is unusual for our area but 90 degree weather happens frequently in N.C. Also humidity is worse down there.
However I don't want to stay here either. Going to look in Wisconsin, Idaho, Montana. So long to Eastern Seaboard, North and South.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:43 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superocean View Post
Visited recently and came back to NY Metro area deciding not to retire to Winston afterall.
First, I forgot how hot and HUMID it was in the South. Also the Arts District downtown is kind of interesting but not what I would call vibrant and alive. I had hoped more individual artists galleries and not just folk art stuff would have been there. But I know I have been spoiled by downtown art in NYC.
Went around with a realtor Peace Haven Road, Clemmons and saw some nice brick ranch houses, well built, and inexpensive.
But I got the sense that Winston is a good conventional city with life focused on surburban neighborhood and nearby shopping malls.
I guess I am looking for more of a self contained, smaller city/town and a little more funky- like a college town. And, well, mor interesting and dynamic.
I had totally thought I would move to Winston and really cannot say too much bad about it. Just after my visit and I thought about it, not a lot to get excited about either. And that humidity!!
I actually think this a very relevant post, so thank you! I know many people may not understand your views and they tend to be the types who are completely satisfied living among every chain restaurant under the sun and big box stores in sensible, affordable well built brick houses,etc. They have their church, Super Walmart and Olive Garden. Life is good. Heck, they live in the city of the arts and can go wander down Trade St. for their culture. However, your perspective and opinion may help other city dwellers looking for a smaller place to settle down realize it may not be up to par. Nothing wrong with sharing your realization that W-S isn't what you want out of retired life. It may help someone else not make the move and later be disappointed. I also agree this area is far more desirable for people seeking the suburbs to raise a family. I hope you find the perfect place to retire! It must be a lot easier to find that unique, funky spot without needing employment first. That is our problem.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Default Thanks for your reply

I did not mean to diss Winston. And I grew up in N.C. and went to college there before heading North; but I guess "you can't go home again." I have been up North too long. I am looking for a more edgy/grungy downtown art. Thinking now about my partner's hometown of LaCrosse Wisconsin. Nice, walkable pretty town but within a train ride of Chicago and Minneapolis which might serve as a substitute for NYC where I lived for 18 years and still working here since 1982.
Most reallly cool college towns like Chapel Hill are out of my price range. Also many of the cool towns are in cold weather states: Ann Arbor, Ithaca, Iowa City, Bloomington- all places I could be happy.
Fun to search, dream, look.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:46 PM

231 posts, read 712,781 times
I don't know much about it, but from what you seem to be seeking, Madison might be worth looking into if you're considering Wisconsin, and even closer to Chicago than La Crosse. I've heard good things, but have never been there.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:36 AM

Default Madison absolutely!

After posting I realized I had forgotten Madison! I want to check both places out. I was not very good at saving money so I am limited to 200,000 max for a house and Madison is a little more expensive.
Also $$ is why I am not considering Asheville or Chapel Hill either. I wish someone would publish a 100 Great Places To Retire Book that does not assume great wealth of the retiree.
I would love to see a book about AFFORDABLE nice places. And I do think if Winston gets a downtown Civic Center to anchor their development, WS could take off in a more expansive way.

Old 07-09-2010, 03:21 AM

201 posts, read 594,030 times
You should have visited West Jefferson, NC--that is where I want to move to one day--very quaint and nice retirement area. Not sure you can find something for $200k though. Montana might have low prices, good luck in your search!

Old 07-13-2010, 05:52 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
While West Jefferson is beginning to build an arts cluster of sorts,

"I am looking for a more edgy/grungy downtown art" and "West Jefferson"

are somewhat mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point