Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 8,673 times

Advertisements

*= best, in this case, meaning new (relatively speaking, the newer it is the better) or newly renovated, safe, and serene.

As the title says, I'm looking at a possible opportunity in Greensboro (moving from Washington D.C.) and I'm hoping to get some advice on apartments/living situations.

There seems to be an idea going around that Greensboro is a "high crime" area, and frankly, I can't really find any evidence to support that via statistics. At least not when compared to where I live now (McLean/Arlington area in Northern VA, near D.C. proper). Obviously, there are bad areas in any town, but hopefully someone can provide me with a local's perspective on where the real trouble spots are.

An example of the places/apartments I've looked at so far include:

Ashbrook Pointe - 2826 Vanstory Street Greensboro, NC 27407-4608
The Plantation at Horse Pen Creek - 3311 Horse Pen Creek Road Greensboro, NC 27410-9406
Abbington Place - 1521 Bridford Parkway Greensboro, NC 27407-2503

Of note, while being pet friendly would be a bonus, it is not necessary. I'm looking for an apartment to last the 12-18 month period while I settle into the job and figure out if both it and the area are right for me before purchasing a home. My fiancee can wait (I hope!) to get that dog she wants so much for a little while, if need be.

Another issue is commute: that is, what's it like driving around down in Greensboro downtown / anywhere during rush hour traffic? Is there any rush hour traffic? I'm hoping to trim my commute down substantially from the rather abysmal 1.5-2 hours, one way, it is now (on the metro rail, driving into downtown D.C. is a joke). That said, I wouldn't mind a half hour or so drive if I was able to live in a much better area.

Looking at projections from Google Maps, it doesn't really seem that traffic gets too bad, even in downtown Greensboro, but that's not always as accurate as can be.

All that said, I'm quite excited about the idea of moving back to North Carolina. I spent several years growing up in Charlotte, and having that close by, as well as getting to move out of the rat's nest that is D.C., really has me pumped. I'd certainly appreciate any/all responses, and thank you for your time!

Last edited by DC_Refugee; 09-07-2010 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Eliminating non-functional hyperlinks and replacing with apartment complex names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:48 PM

628 posts, read 2,070,092 times
High crime, compared to what area? I have lived here forever, and in my opinion G-boro is not a high crime city. There are areas that have more crime than others, but the whole city is not a haven for criminals.

There is no rush hour traffic. I drive on one of the main roads that lead to downtown each morning and it is always smooth sailing.

Lincoln Green Apts has a lenient pet policy. Latham Park Manor & Lindley Park Manor are two of my favorite apartment complexes in greensboro. They are not new apts, but they have good rates, allows cats and great locations near downtown and UNCG.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
Don't see anything wrong with any of your options. Lived at Abbington Place and have nothing but good things to say about it.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 8,673 times
Quote:
Lincoln Green Apts has a lenient pet policy. [URL="http://www.fidelityrealty.com/"]Latham Park Manor & Lindley Park Manor[/URL] are two of my favorite apartment complexes in greensboro.
Thank you for those links, and for the information regarding traffic. I'll definitely add these to the list of places to check out.

Quote:
High crime, compared to what area? [...] There are areas that have more crime than others [...]
That's exactly it; I don't buy the idea that Greensboro is actually a "high crime" area, but I've seen that description bandied about online in reference to the place. Coming from an area with actual high crime rates, I'm betting heavily on the notion that the folks referring to Greensboro in such a manner have no idea what they're talking about. However, I was hoping that someone local, like yourself, would be able to give a rough guideline to what areas would be the best to avoid when considering living arrangements.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Quote:
Lived at Abbington Place and have nothing but good things to say about it.
Thanks for letting me know! I assume the management team at Abbington were easy to deal with? Unfortunately, while the maintenance team at the complex where I live now is superb, the management team is a bit lacking in responsiveness.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:20 PM

I have not lived in that area, but The Plantation at Horse Pen Creek should be a fine place to live. Ashbrook Pointe, four seasons area not so great from what I have heard. But I am not sure about this specific area, it could be a pocket that is A-OK. Do not rule it out based on my opinion. Wait until you get a reply from someone more familiar with that area.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:33 AM

261 posts, read 738,773 times
Default crime stats from city-data

Following up on the OP's questions, would y'all please comment on these stats:

According to city-data, the crime indices for Greensboro for 2007 and 2008 were 614.2 and 586.9, compared to a U.S. average of 320.9.

Here are the crime index numbers for some other NC cities (same years):
Cary: 125.0 and 120.2
Charlotte: 648.0 and 589.2
Durham: 567.1 and 522.2
High Point: 553.3 and 519.4
Raleigh: 339.0 and 342.0
Winston-Salem: 616.0 and 604.2

All other things being equal (which, sadly, they never are), I'd rather live someplace such as Cary where the crime index is approximately 40% of the national average instead of someplace where it's nearly double the U.S. average. On the other hand, when compared to some other cities with populations >100k, Greensboro doesn't seem too bad.
St. Louis: 1158.6 and 1081.5
Memphis: 962.9 and 949.4
Little Rock: 909.2 and 775.6
Birmingham: 939.2 and 927.2
Washington, D.C.: 670.3 and 675.9 (I expected these #s to look more like BHM's)

If we accept that the city-data numbers are correct, why do folks protest that Greensboro really doesn't have a crime problem? Is crime mainly confined to one area that most people know to avoid? Is it that property crimes, such as theft, are far more common than violent crimes?

Finally, one thing I've noticed when looking at apartments in Greensboro is that few seem to offer garage parking, either in a multi-level building adjacent to the residences or in individual garages. That would be a security concern for me, plus I'd rather not deal with 120+ car temps in the summer or icy windshields in the winter. Are there apartment
complexes, or condos, available for rent in the nicer areas that have garages? Or would someone have to rent a house instead?

Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM

Anyone?

Quote:
If we accept that the city-data numbers are correct, why do folks protest that Greensboro really doesn't have a crime problem? Is crime mainly confined to one area that most people know to avoid?
Please help a potential new resident find what areas to avoid and where to look for a nice rental. A house w/ 2 car garage would be preferred, but an apartment w/ covered (& preferably assigned) parking would be okay, too. Let's assume a price range of $700 - 1,100/mo.

Thanks!

Old 09-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Default Surely some folks here know

Please?

Why yes, I am persistent.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHaus View Post
Please?

Why yes, I am persistent.
Make a new post with the question, you will get more response.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:38 PM

1,785 posts, read 2,382,673 times
I'm voting for Abbington Place. I used to live across the street at Bridford Lake Apts. The Wendover area has a lot of amenities and shopping close by. Regarding crime, most people don't really have any perspective when it comes to their own locality. Everyone exaggerates and thinks their town has the worst drivers, the worse crime, etc. I'm not worried at all about crime in general in Greensboro. Coming from D.C., Greensboro will seem pretty tame.

Also, traffic in Greensboro is good since it's not a major city. Traffic jams are usually caused by accidents or construction and not caused by volume like it is in the D.C. area. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point