Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times

Advertisements

Is there a law that prohibit one individual from buying too many house in one neighborhood and turning them into Sec 8 housing? I came from a poor family, but has worked very long hard hours to get where I'm at today. So I am not one with my nose in the air, but one who simply want to continue living in a nice clean quiet neighborhood. I now have two Sec 8 neighbors, I believe they must have moved from an apartment or the projects, because they don't seem to know that the big brown ugly City trash cans don't belong in front of the house on the street all week, nor in front of the garage facing the street!
I feel like all the updates my husband and I put into this house to retire, may have been a big mistake.
If there is way to keep them out please please help me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 03:24 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,724,537 times
Hate this has happened to you. Many don't realize when they buy into the idea of living in a housing development that typically the neighborhood goes downhill after a few years. The rate of decline is based on many factors but eventually it does happen.

I've seen some developments still look okay even after 20 years but I pass one going into town that declined faster than it was built.

Hopefully someone else will help you with the legalities of preventing govt subsidised housing in your neighborhood...or at least a cap on it.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,425 times
You are not one with your nose in the air, that is very hard for me to believe.You do not sound like someone who came from a poor family. Is there a way to keep them out of the neighborhood because of a trash can? That is something you could go to their house and ask them about yourself. You would rather displace a family because you feel that the trash can needs to go in the back yard. Really!!Instead of putting all of your energy into putting sec 8 recipients out of the neighborhood why don't you and your family move. I kept reading to see was there really a big problem such as throwing trash in your yard, vandalizing your property, neighbors being rowdy but a TRASHCAN.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,615,779 times
I dont think addressing OP is going to do any good, they posted 2 years ago and single post. What I call a drive by poster.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:50 AM

774 posts, read 1,861,441 times
@ forucancer... I feel your pain.
I grew up in a housing development that was built for WWII veterans. Everyone painted their houses and mowed their lawns. It was nice. Lasted until most of us were grown. Around the early 70s it all began to go down hill. Now I feel that the place I grew up is gone. Like it flew off the planet. Probably common feeling for many people.

A few years ago I moved into a Senior apartment building for people over 55. I thought it was a great deal... only about a block from the beach in a lovely California beach town. THAT was one of the craziest experiences I've EVER had. The place was full of nut-cases who moved out there from all points. Between the medications and the gossiping and the attention-getting banging on the walls, and the squabbling ... and the younger kids on drugs and the drama they came with ... oh man... never, EVER again. Anyone defending that kind of crap has to be one of 'em.

To want to live a decent life in a decent home on a decent street should be a right for anyone who wants it. I don't care WHAT part of town it is or what state or country it is. There's no excuse for low-life living. Sick of defending these drama-queens and kings.

That said... it's a reality and all we can do is either adapt to it or move a some place where Section 8s aren't your neighbors. I know how that sounds ... there are tons of good and decent people who are lucky enough to qualify for that program-- but most of what we see is people who haven't invested enough love in their own lives to live with respect for themselves and others.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:40 AM

12,572 posts, read 15,598,725 times
Read post # 4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point