Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 10:11 PM

179 posts, read 580,664 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Can anyone who lives or is familiar with Mocksville give me any advice with the area in general ? We are looking for a somewhat rural area to retire, but within reasonable distances to good medical facilities. I was just looking at a new house located in Colonial Estates, is antone familiar with that particular development. Any recommendations, pro's and con's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 05:24 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,310,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjr View Post
Hi,
Can anyone who lives or is familiar with Mocksville give me any advice with the area in general ? We are looking for a somewhat rural area to retire, but within reasonable distances to good medical facilities. I was just looking at a new house located in Colonial Estates, is antone familiar with that particular development. Any recommendations, pro's and con's would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
It's an OK place, off I40, mid-way between Statesville and Winston-Salem (Wake Forest Medical Center/Bowman Grey School of Medicine). Decent health care providers in the immediate area.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:03 PM

179 posts, read 580,664 times
Thanks Mary, I guess it might not be as good as it sounded.
Bill

Old 07-10-2007, 05:09 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,010,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjr View Post
Hi,
Can anyone who lives or is familiar with Mocksville give me any advice with the area in general ? We are looking for a somewhat rural area to retire, but within reasonable distances to good medical facilities.
Thanks, Bill
As a retirement spot, if you are looking for quiet, it will do. We’ve lived in the area 10 years and like it. Asking about Mocksville, you might as well say “Davie County” since Mocksville is the largest town (county seat), but living in the area, you are influenced by more than just the town.

For major medical issues, you’d find yourself most likely going to Winston-Salem. Mocksville has a small hospital that just re-opened a few years ago after being shut down for financial reasons. Periodic reviews of the hospital become more positive. Shopping – well, you have Walmart and satellite stores located in the strip mall surrounding the big box, and Lowes Home Improvement. There are two Food Lions, plus the grocery within Walmart. Restaurants: a couple of well-known local BBQs, some decent local eateries (Millers, by the hospital, is one of those places that has been around forever. Doesn’t look like much on the outside but is always crowded) and the usual chain Pizza Huts, McDs, etc.

The southern and western side of the county is diverse, the east side is upscale. There have been some class struggles over that, most definitely portrayed in the recent battle over a bond vote that would have provided ~$40 million for a new high school, to be located on the eastside. A portion of the funds were for upgrading the existing HS, built in the 50s and without much updating since the 70s. It became known as the quarrel between the Haves (eastside) and Have Nots (south and west). You can read about it here The Enterprise Record

Duke Power owns 1800 acres in Davie County; has since the 70s; and there is talk of building a nuclear power plant there Duke Power Selects Cherokee County Site for Nuclear Plant Application - Duke Energy (http://www.duke-energy.com/newsarchives/2006/Mar/2006031601.asp - broken link) Mind, that may or may not happen. Their plat is a couple miles south of the 801/64 intersection on 801 (go south on 801 where it crosses 64, look for Riverview Road and drive past. All the land on the left-hand side is theirs. Right now it’s hunting grounds).

If the real estate market picks up and building continues as it has in the last several years, Davie county will become a suburb of Winston-Salem; the kind where the realtors tout “the slow, country life with lower taxes”. For us it’s been a quiet place to live – exactly what we were looking for when we moved here – where we have our country life and do our shopping on day trips to Winston-Salem. It’s only about 30 minutes to the mall and recreational shopping stores.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:30 PM

13 posts, read 39,623 times
I would suggest the Advance, NC area. It's just inside the Davie county line, so it's very close to Winston-Salem for all the high-quality medical facilities, yet it is in Davie county, so there are lower taxes. It is also just minutes from Mocksville.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 15,012 times
billjr

You got that right!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:55 PM

22 posts, read 59,739 times
Default Definitely recommend Mocksville

We moved here 2 years ago, and we love it. We're actually in Davie County, not within Mocksville City limits, but it's all the same. We live in Heritage Oaks right off of 64 - newer neighborhood. Great housing prices here, and in Davie County our property tax rate is less then .70 per $100 valuation. Cheap utilities. They are planning a large hospital very close (in Clemmons), I believe to be a new Baptist University Hosp. (but dbl check that) as well as a new urgent care right in Mocksville. The new hspital would be a 15 minute drive. Advance/Bermuda Run is nice, but you'll pay $20 more per sf, and get zero yard. It's quiet here, and we love it. No traffic at all. It is stating to build up - new restaraunts and stores constantly being built, so I would imagine you'd be able to resell later.

Old 11-07-2007, 06:05 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,010,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosadelic View Post
They are planning a large hospital very close (in Clemmons), I believe to be a new Baptist University Hosp. (but dbl check that) as well as a new urgent care right in Mocksville.
Wake Forest wants to build in Davie, near the 801/I-40 intersection. Forsyth (Novant) wants to build several miles down the road in Clemmons. Both sides are campaigning strongly.

Details:
WFUBMC - Davie County Hospital (http://www1.wfubmc.edu/daviehospital/index - broken link)

Winston-Salem Journal | Hospital debate far from over (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ/MGArticle/WSJ_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353311561 - broken link)

A rather acerbic article
Winston-Salem Journal | Want to get full story of hospital fight? Do the math (http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=WSJ%2FMGArticle%2FWSJ_Columnist Article&c=MGArticle&cid=1173353279543&path=%21loca lnews%21newsbycounty%21davie%21&s=1037645509135 - broken link)

Quote:
It is stating to build up - new restaraunts and stores constantly being built, so I would imagine you'd be able to resell later.
Commercial growth in the Bermuda Run/Kinderton area - it seems more to serve the high income residents; the Sooper Walmart at 601/I-40 is growing a constellation of the usual stuff that pops up around Walmarts. It seems there are more restaurants, certainly. Sagebrush, where the old Western Sizzlin' (I think?) was (site of a brutal murder several nights ago. Jesus wept ), a new Japanese restaurant down the road, and the recent completion of the steak house over by Lowes Foods in Kinderton (excellent steaks. we're going there later in the week and I'm already salivating ).

As far as resale on houses - only if the housing boom returns. It seems like new subdivisions are springing up at several spots around the county. We drove home along 64 last week and had a "what the hell!" moment, looking up John Crotts Road. It seems like a whole new subdivision fell to earth overnight. Adding that to the resales currently on the market, there will be a fairly good size inventory of homes that will make the competition stiff.

Old 11-07-2007, 02:33 PM

9 posts, read 26,009 times
I have been researching a possible move and have looked at some really gorgeous homes in the Mocksville zip in a few newer neighborhoods..when I see things like that murder, I start to worry..is the crime bad in that area or was that just a freakish type thing. Any input would be great, as I have two young children to consider when deciding to move.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,930 times
Default Mocksville

Mocksville is somewhat rural but close enough to major cities ie.Charlotte,and Winston-Salem Great medical centers in both Wake Forest Bowman Gray School of Medicine in Winston is world class and only 30 minutes away.Great place to live,two hours from the mountains and four to the coast.Come join us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point