Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:46 PM

4 posts, read 14,271 times

Advertisements

We are currently living in Central Florida and will be relocating to the Winston-Salem, High Point or Greensboro areas. Does anyone have any thoughts on which sections of the cities are the safest? Are there areas in these cities that are more accepting than others? From what I have read here, larger cities will be more accepting of our lifestyle, however we are intent on relocating to the area listed above. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! We will be visiting over the Thanksgiving weekend to look at some homes in all three areas. Any recommendations for us? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 10:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Well, I'm sure you know being gay is not a "lifestyle", but anyway...

The Triad area is fine; Winston-Salem is getting more and more artsy (School of the Arts is there; they have a cool indy theatre and neat film festivals, from what I hear). Greensboro is of more blue-collar character than many cities, but there is still a thriving gay community. The colleges in the area (UNC-G and Guilford) help that.

Look into (google) the Adam Foundation, Guilford Green, Triad Pride Men's Chorus, and Green Queen Bingo for some starters to finding people in the community. I actually live in Raleigh but two of my best friends are in W-S and GSO and they are very involved in things. You don't need to worry about 'acceptance' in that geog area at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandRon View Post
We are currently living in Central Florida and will be relocating to the Winston-Salem, High Point or Greensboro areas. Does anyone have any thoughts on which sections of the cities are the safest? Are there areas in these cities that are more accepting than others? From what I have read here, larger cities will be more accepting of our lifestyle, however we are intent on relocating to the area listed above. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! We will be visiting over the Thanksgiving weekend to look at some homes in all three areas. Any recommendations for us? Thanks!

Last edited by Francois; 11-07-2010 at 10:27 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 05:52 AM

Thank you for the information. I meant no offense by the word "lifestyle". Having been to many areas of NC including the Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Hickoy/Charlotte areas, we are looking for a city with a small town feel. It is important for us to have the ability to live comfortably in a community that we choose. Again, thanks for the information.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,650 times
My partner and I were looking into that area when we first moved here as well. We're from Jacksonville Fl. We moved here about 6 months ago. We didn't particularly care for the Winston-Salem area. We actually moved more towards Wilkesboro. We have fit in just fine around here. We live in a small upscale town called Millers Creek. When you come up here you should definitely take a drive around here. It's a really nice town and we have great neighbors and are so comfortable where we live and are glad with the decision we made.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:02 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times
I wouldn't say Greensboro is more blue collar with Irving Park, Starmount etc.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:21 PM

Creedomatic, thanks for the useful information, we will check out the area! Goodgal, as far as Greensville goes, the realtor we are working with covers the areas of WS, High Point and Greensboro. He is advising against looking in HP due to the market being unsteady. I have no prob seeing what is available in Greensboro. Of course, coming from Central Florida we both know what a downturn in the market is about. In FL we have lost over 50% of our homes value within the last 4 years and we won't see it come back for many years. We think it's time to get out. Being from NH originally, I miss the change of seasons that we will get in NC. Thanks very much for the info!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:39 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandRon View Post
Creedomatic, thanks for the useful information, we will check out the area! Goodgal, as far as Greensville goes, the realtor we are working with covers the areas of WS, High Point and Greensboro. He is advising against looking in HP due to the market being unsteady. I have no prob seeing what is available in Greensboro. Of course, coming from Central Florida we both know what a downturn in the market is about. In FL we have lost over 50% of our homes value within the last 4 years and we won't see it come back for many years. We think it's time to get out. Being from NH originally, I miss the change of seasons that we will get in NC. Thanks very much for the info!
Uh, what?! The market in High Point is not any worse off then any other area. You didn't say what price range your in but a house one street over recently sold in 42 days. Our house is currently under contract though its been on the market since July.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 8,792 times
My partner and I, who are both in our late 20s, live in Winston and enjoy it. We have a large friend base that is gay and have not had any issues living in Winston.
IMO both Greensboro and Winston are pretty similar. Greensboro seems to have a larger young gay population due to the universities than Winston does. But Winston has the artsy downtown vibe and it seems to me that there are more couples in the Winston area for some reason haha.

I would reccomend looking in the Ardmore, Buena Vista, Country Club, Sherwood Forest areas for houses if you are interested in Winston. They all are good areas and pretty affordable excluding Buena Vista......Just my opinion, but I would consider High Point as my last option of the three

Old 11-10-2010, 11:06 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
JeffandRon, one thing I don't see from you is your age range? Since the "gay issue" is not likely to matter much, you'll want to look for other demographic similarities (or consonances) but where a 20-something couple would best fit won't be the same as a 50-something couple.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,792 times
True, but not necessary, many of our friends are in their 40s and 50s. So I don't know that age plays a huge role. But anyways just my opinion on what I have experienced living here in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point