Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 10:51 PM

28 posts, read 112,756 times

Advertisements

I hope I don't offend anybody, but I'm just curious. I've been living in Winston Salem since 2005, and since then, when I'm driving, I've seen this lady walking on the side of the road holding a bike and some bags. I mean, in the past 5 years, I've seen her all over the city. I am sure many of you know who I'm talking about. Who is she? I just saw her again two days ago on Strattford road on my way home. Daytime, nightime, hot weather, cold weather, I've seen her dozens of times. Does she have a family? A home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 06:44 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,157,676 times
There was an article in the WS Journal about her a year or so ago. Her name is Esther, and she is homeless (she can usually be seen around the Stratford Rd. area.) There are people who sort of look out for her, but she eschews all offers of long-term help. She has a sister somewhere in NC who has tried to get her to come live with her, but she refuses. Seems sad, but apparently she's happy doing what she does so who's to say?

Edit to add: I found the article here: http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2010...o-r-ar-251291/

Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,810 times
People around town also call her Whoopi and a woman started a "Where's Whoopi" Facebook page which I personally think is a huge invasion of someone's privacy. Here is a another discussion about it:

Where's Whoopi and Esther Smiles Foundation - Breaking news - WXII 12's u local Message Board - u local, Your North Carolina Photos & Videos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point