Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 09:05 PM

16 posts, read 84,711 times

Advertisements

You'll have to forgive me if my question seems a little dim-witted, as I know NOTHING about the area.
My husband has a job offer on the table. We would have to live in Reidsville. I'm not really a small-town kind of girl, but I think I would be okay with it if I lived in a "suburb" of a larger city like Greensboro. I have a 19 month old and a 7 month old, so I'm pretty much a homebody at this point in my life... but I'd like to have a little bit of entertainment available to me a little ways down the road.
Is it realistic of me to think that Greensboro is accessible enough that if I wanted a night out with my husband we can take a short drive to Greensboro and have most of what we would need at our fingertips? As I understand it, Reidsville doesn't really have much going on.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,608,766 times
A suburb? No. But, it's about 20 miles, give or take depending on the starting and ending points, so it's an easy drive to anywhere in the Triad or up into Virginia.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:13 AM

231 posts, read 709,592 times
Yes, it is. It is a community within commuting distance of a larger city and has significant numbers of commuters to the larger city. 2000 counts show around 12,000 people commuting from Rockingham to Guilford for work, so the 2010 numbers are probably closer to 15,000 or more, and nearly all of these workers will be coming from the Reidsville area to work in Greensboro.
Reidsville has all the basics. And I mean BASIC. If you don't mind driving 30 minutes to get to civilization, then it's certainly accessible.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
If you don't mind driving 30 minutes to get to civilization, then it's certainly accessible.
This part made me laugh. "civilization" LOL

Does Reidsville have basics like Walmart or Target? Grocery store? Pharmacy like Walgreens or something similar? Do these things count as basics or is it even more desolate than I'm imagining it to be?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 AM

I'm pretty sure there's a Wal-Mart. Target's doubtful.
Plenty of small supermarkets & pharmacies.
It is a city, after all. Just a small one.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:01 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,506,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crock921 View Post
This part made me laugh. "civilization" LOL

Does Reidsville have basics like Walmart or Target? Grocery store? Pharmacy like Walgreens or something similar? Do these things count as basics or is it even more desolate than I'm imagining it to be?
There is a Wal-Mart, Lowes, Walgreens, Kmart. No Target or Home Depot. The only major grocery chain is Food Lion. I frequent Reidsville and it is definitely not a place I would choose to live.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
There is a Wal-Mart, Lowes, Walgreens, Kmart. No Target or Home Depot. The only major grocery chain is Food Lion. I frequent Reidsville and it is definitely not a place I would choose to live.
Would you not choose to live there because it's a small town and that's not what you're into? Or would you choose not to live there because the town seems run down or something of that nature?
This will not be our forever home but does it seem like a peaceful place to raise young children?

I'm okay with living in a small town as long as it's a peaceful, happy little town.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Would you not choose to live there because it's a small town and that's not what you're into? Or would you choose not to live there because the town seems run down or something of that nature?
This will not be our forever home but does it seem like a peaceful place to raise young children?

I'm okay with living in a small town as long as it's a peaceful, happy little town.
Well, the place has more crime than the US or NC averages, the schools aren't very good, and median household income isn't great.

But there's a Wal-Mart!

Old 01-13-2011, 03:19 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,506,349 times
Quote:

Both of those. I live in Greensboro & moved from High Point just because Greensboro has more to offer, I like the convenience, I don't like driving 30-40 min just to get to civilization. I'm just not into small town living. I'm sure there are nice parts of Reidsville but I have yet to see them. My job mainly has me in the blighted run down areas. There are too many old people it seems and while most the citizens are nice they generally look 5-10 yrs past their age. Coming from Milwuakee I recommend you come see it for yourself before making a comittment, you may be in for a shock.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
they generally look 5-10 yrs past their age.
Meth is a hell of a drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point