Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:42 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,466,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
People from Martinsville shop in GSO. They also go to restaurants/bars and other general entertainment in GSO.

From the earlier comments in this thread (from years back) comparing Richmond to GSO and WS, the Triad should be considered one shopping area due to the proximity of the cities...so when someone says "Richmond has 3 Dillard's" (even tho Dillard's is not a standard I would aspire to) the Triad actually has 4 Dillard's - WS, GSO, HP, and Burlington. Richmond does not have another comparably large city 20 minutes away like exist in the Triad, so it's really hard to compare the two.

I think shopping in the Triad is pretty comparable to other cities of similar size. People just like to complain.
Martinsville folks splits shopping between Greensboro and Roanoke. More of them tend to shop in Roanoke than GSO, but they do tend to take part in Greensboro's night life more than Roanoke's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 11:26 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Greensboro/Winston do okay on the Shopping end I've always though. Four Seasons is still the only 3 story mall in the state and I love that place. And what I'm surprised no one has yet brought up is that the reason that the Triad dosent have more retail or even high end retail is that unlike Richmond which was mentioned for some reason earlier Richmond kind of stands by itself. But with the Triad there are 2 larger more robust and more attractive Retail Hubs close by as Raleigh/Durham is just an hour away and Charlotte an hour and a half. As someone else mentioned retailers look at $ per household and also geographic region. So The same way Greensboro has benefited over the years by normally getting all the great concerts even when Raleigh and Charlotte don't because it's smack dab in the center and can draw from 3 large population centers. In the reverse if you can't find it in Greensboro or Winston one could make the relatively short Drive to Charlotte or Raleigh/Durham and find all the SAKS, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus etc they could need.
Friendly area seems to be the developing high end area, good bit of high end clothing shops/boutiques, And with "Rolls Royce" being built right up the street, it's becoming a very "Ritzy" area. maybe then they can land saks 5th avanue or neiman marcus, nordstrom, in the future, GSO might be somewhat lacking in high end shopping, but they more then make up for it for the type of high end automobiles you can purchase here. And as a car enthusiast...that's all i care about.

speaking of which, it's that time of year again, and the exotics are out from there garages.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:01 PM

67 posts, read 134,704 times
I've always felt that Greensboro has plenty of high end shopping for the town of its size.
I would also say I find it pretty strange to have so much high end shopping for such a small percentage of people that can who can actually afford that lifestyle.

I think Greensboro has extreme ends of shopping with not much in the middle. Think Harris Teeter and Food lion as the dominant chains. Harris Teeter is an over priced 'shopping experience' while Food Lion is a no frills, cheaply priced utilitarian grocery. Ironically Food Lion usually has better quality produce for way less money than HT in my experience.

Sure there are more options than that, Im just saying there isnt much happening in the middle, where I think there is a greater need. I think a lot of people in Greensboro are being under served. I'm not necessarily picking on Greensboro either. I think a lot of the country if feeling the effects of 'Starbuckification' of basic items coupled with a dose of 'Affluenza' aka keeping up with the Joneses.
I definitely think Greensboro has always had case of affluenza, as seen by the cars on the road, compared to Winston or HP.

People can buy what they want. I'd just like to see the return of reasonably priced shopping.
I've got expensive taste, but I usually try to get it second hand or at a deeply discounted prices.
I think we need less, not more high end shopping here. There is always ebay and the internet.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:53 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,873,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest1960 View Post
I've always felt that Greensboro has plenty of high end shopping for the town of its size.
I would also say I find it pretty strange to have so much high end shopping for such a small percentage of people that can who can actually afford that lifestyle.

I think Greensboro has extreme ends of shopping with not much in the middle. Think Harris Teeter and Food lion as the dominant chains. Harris Teeter is an over priced 'shopping experience' while Food Lion is a no frills, cheaply priced utilitarian grocery. Ironically Food Lion usually has better quality produce for way less money than HT in my experience.

Sure there are more options than that, Im just saying there isnt much happening in the middle, where I think there is a greater need. I think a lot of people in Greensboro are being under served. I'm not necessarily picking on Greensboro either. I think a lot of the country if feeling the effects of 'Starbuckification' of basic items coupled with a dose of 'Affluenza' aka keeping up with the Joneses.
I definitely think Greensboro has always had case of affluenza, as seen by the cars on the road, compared to Winston or HP.

People can buy what they want. I'd just like to see the return of reasonably priced shopping.
I've got expensive taste, but I usually try to get it second hand or at a deeply discounted prices.
I think we need less, not more high end shopping here. There is always ebay and the internet.

Eh, there is plenty outside of Food Lion and Harris Teeter, which in regards to Harris Teeter shoot the reason I like it ain't for shopping but for their subs, daily specials plus 5 dollar any full sub Friday's, and occasionally their pizza, 7.99 any pizza any topping Monday's. Whole Foods(again not really neccessarily shopping but getting a sub/sandwich, cupcake, gelato, etc), Earth Fare(Sunday's burgers for bucks, also 60 cent wings), Deep Roots Market downtown, Lowes Foods, I don't really like Walmart but walmart neighborhood market, The Fresh Market, Never really went their like that, but Save a lot, I forget the name of it, but the international grocery store(just remembered the name, Super G Mart), Aldi's, then there are a lot of little oriental and Mexican markets. not about to go through the whole list, but the point is they're options outside of FL and HT(which you stated, just saying you made it sound like the others were not really options.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,222,091 times
Greensboro is really beginning to see high end chains come to the city whether they are restaurants or retail. Greensboro already has Wolfgang Puck Pizza, Ruth Chris Steakhouse and PF Chang restaurants. The city also has a Brooks Brothers clothing store which is the Triad's only high end chain clothing store. All of those establishments are in Friendly Center. If Greensboro ever does get a Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, it will most likely be built in the Friendly Center area which is surrounded by wealthy neighborhoods such as Starmount and Irving Park.

There are also two or three high end exotic dealerships in the area. Greensboro has the only Lamborghini dealership in the Carolinas as well as Foreign Cars Italia which sell cars such as Aston Martin. Then of course there is the only Carolinas Bentley dealership in High Point. I still think Greensboro/High Point can support an IKEA. The area is known for furniture and home furnishings. The area has the demographic to support an IKEA. Their products aren't that expensive. Jamestown, between Greensboro and High Point has Furnitureland South which is the world's largest furniture store (bigger than IKEA) and the stuff in there is very expensive. One of the buildings have five floors of retail and even has a Starbucks inside. I've seen little end tables in there north of $1,500. Of course Furnitureland South has higher quality furniture than IKEA. The store attracts people from all over the world year round so I dont think there would be a problem at all with the area supporting an IKEA despite the fact that there is one in Charlotte. I personally think it should have been built in the Greensboro/High Point area in the first place because a store here would have attracted shoppers from all three metros (Triad, Charlotte and the Triangle) If I live in Raleigh, I would more likely visit IKEA in Greensboro/High Point then traveling an additional 90 miles to Charlotte. IKEA builds stores in metros with at least 2 million people. The Triad has 1.6 million but you have to remember there are two metros close to 2 milion surrounding the Triad. Thats almost 6 million people in a 100 mile radius of Greensboro (more than half of NC's population or three times the population of Houston) and thats not enough to support an IKEA store?.

http://www.furniturelandsouth.com/

courtesy of FurniturelandSouth
http://www.furniturelandsouth.com/im...-BDZ151-03.jpg
http://blog.furniturelandsouth.com/w...01-460x258.jpg

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-20-2014 at 10:03 AM..

Old 04-20-2014, 04:26 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Greensboro is really beginning to see high end chains come to the city whether they are restaurants or retail. Greensboro already has Wolfgang Puck Pizza, Ruth Chris Steakhouse and PF Chang restaurants. The city also has a Brooks Brothers clothing store which is the Triad's only high end chain clothing store. All of those establishments are in Friendly Center. If Greensboro ever does get a Nordstrom or Neiman Marcus, it will most likely be built in the Friendly Center area which is surrounded by wealthy neighborhoods such as Starmount and Irving Park.

There are also two or three high end exotic dealerships in the area. Greensboro has the only Lamborghini dealership in the Carolinas as well as Foreign Cars Italia which sell cars such as Aston Martin. Then of course there is the only Carolinas Bentley dealership in High Point. I still think Greensboro/High Point can support an IKEA. The area is known for furniture and home furnishings. The area has the demographic to support an IKEA. Their products aren't that expensive. Jamestown, between Greensboro and High Point has Furnitureland South which is the world's largest furniture store (bigger than IKEA) and the stuff in there is very expensive. One of the buildings have five floors of retail and even has a Starbucks inside. I've seen little end tables in there north of $1,500. Of course Furnitureland South has higher quality furniture than IKEA. The store attracts people from all over the world year round so I dont think there would be a problem at all with the area supporting an IKEA despite the fact that there is one in Charlotte. I personally think it should have been built in the Greensboro/High Point area in the first place because a store here would have attracted shoppers from all three metros (Triad, Charlotte and the Triangle) If I live in Raleigh, I would more likely visit IKEA in Greensboro/High Point then traveling an additional 90 miles to Charlotte. IKEA builds stores in metros with at least 2 million people. The Triad has 1.6 million but you have to remember there are two metros close to 2 milion surrounding the Triad. Thats almost 6 million people in a 100 mile radius of Greensboro (more than half of NC's population or three times the population of Houston) and thats not enough to support an IKEA store?.

Discount Furniture Online & In Store | Furnitureland South

courtesy of FurniturelandSouth
http://www.furniturelandsouth.com/im...-BDZ151-03.jpg
http://blog.furniturelandsouth.com/w...01-460x258.jpg
Expand your horizons a bit. The Triad is central to NC, but Charlotte is central to the entire Carolinas. Thus IKEA draws shoppers not just from the Triad and the Triangle, but the Greenville-Spartanburg, Columbia, and even Charleston areas. Six metros > three metros.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:49 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Didn't we already do a whole thing on IKEA in the Triad? //www.city-data.com/forum/green...kea-triad.html

Old 04-21-2014, 03:31 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
There is alot of high end stores at the friendly center, i never noticed that..
I like Friendly, but unless a Gucci, Tiffany, Hermes, or other such retailer has opened there recently I wouldn't consider it high end by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:53 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,222,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I like Friendly, but unless a Gucci, Tiffany, Hermes, or other such retailer has opened there recently I wouldn't consider it high end by any stretch of the imagination.
there is a Brooks Brothers at Friendly

Old 04-21-2014, 08:44 PM

322 posts, read 666,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
there is a Brooks Brothers at Friendly
....and there is a Coach at Hanes Mall in Winston-Salem, so we'll call it a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point