U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 PM

9 posts, read 24,109 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to good old NC after a year in Atlanta. I am from Charlotte but want to move to Greensboro, for various reasons and I am apartment hunting. I have been looking all over the NW area near battle ground and horse pen creek but I can't really find anything. Does anyone have suggestions of good places to live? Where good apartments are (cheap?)!!

I still have to find a job and this town is tough.....Any thoughts on where a journalist should look?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 05:29 PM

14 posts, read 89,155 times
Default Print Journalism?

Our State magazine is based in Greensboro. . .they also just launched a spin-off called Signatures (for a slightly younger crowd).

Pace Communications advertises various openings from time to time.

The Greensboro weekly rags are Yes Weekly, Rhino Times, The Northwest Observer, GoTriad (part of the News Record). There's also a new small publication called 99 Blocks. I'm sure they don't pay well, but some of writers do seem to move on to bigger things in the more established press. I'd also look at the Winston-Salem Journal and Winston's weekly papers too.

In NW Greensboro, the Friendly Avenue corridor near Guilford College may have cheaper rents than the newer places along New Garden Road. Just like in Charlotte though, you've got to really check each place out. It's a nice area, but each complex has it's own flavor---some are more working professionals, some more college students.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:19 PM

13 posts, read 37,757 times
Default Lake Brandt Apartments

Try the Lake Brandt Apartments. A 1bd 1ba is only around $530 per month. They are in a great location and have some really good amenities. Look them up at Apartments in Greensboro, NC - Lake Brandt

Old 07-29-2007, 03:29 AM

3 posts, read 16,534 times
Battleground, Horse Pen Creek is kind of NW and it's not going to be cheap there. You can go West Market maybe Lawndale for starters to reduce costs.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,840 times
Default from atlanta..

Hey im from Atlanta too i moved here about 2 years ago

It highly depends on your price range, unlike Atlanta living near downtown is desirable or at least with 5-10 miles of it. UNC-Greensboro is a mile away from downtown so it helps make the area nicer. Compared to Atlanta you can get a really nice place in a good location for cheap....

Much like Atlanta, most of the nicer stuff is on the northside of the city. For upscale and safety check down Battle Ground (its a road) which goes up toward the northwest of the city. A lot of upscale developments and apartment complex near there. Also Elm street near downtown is quite nice (this is the street where all the nightlife downtown is) and it only gets nicer as you go north on elm. Also check out the Adams Farm area which is 10 miles away which is near a few golf courses like Sedgefield. Also Wendover Avenue which is a few miles away from downtown and stretches around the city has alot of nice places that branch off of it.

Traffic is of little concern in Greensboro, so you really don't have to take that in to consideration. The roads are very easy to figure out in Greensboro, all you really need to know is Wendover, High Point Rd, Market St/Friendly Avenue, Holden, and Battleground.

Avoid the east side of the city like the plague (believe me you'll know what i mean if you east from downtown). Stay on the west and north is what I recommend. Also avoid High Point Rd its kind of ghetto...

Old 01-08-2008, 07:44 PM

71 posts, read 270,128 times
I'm sorry, sarcean, but I personally wouldn't regard High Point Road as "ghetto". I grew up near there in Rolling Roads (near Four Seasons Mall) and never did I feel threatened. I'm only 20 years old so this should tell you that this neighborhood has been fine for at least the past few years. I was glad to live in those surroundings because of its diversity. I had black neighbors directly across the street, white neighbors behind me and Asian neighbors to the right and to the left.

Rolling Roads does not really have any apartments per se, but I would definitely recommend it as a good neighborhood to at least start a family. Archer Elementary and Allen Middle schools are both fine. It is in the Smith High School district though, but in recent years, that school has cleaned up its act, and now offers "Smith Academy" for its well-performing students. Much like what Dudley has had for years, in the area of town that you think they should "avoid like the plague".

Really, it all depends on perception, and in any middle-sized city like Greensboro, there is going to be some risk for crime, but as long as you have your wits about you, you'll be fine. Many of these "bad" areas that people talk about are from bad perceptions and prejudices. Personally, I would look around UNCG, Lindley Park, Sunset Hills, SW part of town. Also, if you're willing to spend a little more money, there are plenty of nice homes near the Starmount area. The NW is overrated, looks like anytown USA (especially the new shopping center at New Garden and Bryan Blvd) and congested. If you absolutely must move to this part of town, live near Guilford College (where I currently reside) can be kind of busy, but tolerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point