Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:46 AM

138 posts, read 418,828 times

Advertisements

So I was outside, in High Point, doing yard work on Sunday and my 4 yr old daughter was helping me when the knucklehead neighbors across the street start blasting their music. Okay, not my type of music okay, I understand, I can deal with it, but this garbage was the most explicit offensive lyrics I have ever heard. Just absolute garbage! Very quickly I sent my daughter inside the house and had my wife shut the windows.

So my question: Are there any laws to control this? I wouldn't say it was ridiculously loud, if they want to play their music load while they are outside with friends washing the cars, no problem, jus tdo it during the day. My issue is strictly with the lyrics and the content of the music, which was the most vile, hateful, offensive music I have ever heard.

By the way, a few summers ago when my daughter was a baby, I went across the street and asked them to turn it down one day when she was sick and trying to sleep. They are parents of 4 or 5 themselves. They turned it down... until I got back in my yard and then they turned it up even louder. So the friendly, neighborly method won't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:54 AM

231 posts, read 712,781 times
Jeez, I hope there aren't such draconian laws. Let me know if you find out there are, because I will need to devote my efforts to seeing them repealed. This is a matter of common courtesy and being a good neighbor, and the content of the lyrics has no relevance. They're just words. Sticks & stones, etc.
The world is full of a**holes. There are more mature ways to deal with them than running to mommy, so to speak.
The only ordinance I can think of off the top of my head would be under the noise ordinance, which wouldn't apply if the music isn't loud nor played late at night.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:20 AM

273 posts, read 949,952 times
You may have been able to rely on this, but no longer

North Carolina's Anti-Profanity Law Unconstitutional Rules Superior Court Judge

North Carolina Anti-Profanity Law Unconstitutional,
Rules Superior Court Judge
RALEIGH, NC, March 23, 2011 — The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina Legal Foundation (ACLU-NCLF) today applauded a judge’s ruling that declared North Carolina’s ban on the public use of profanity to be an unconstitutional violation of freedom of speech. The statute at issue is N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14 197, making it a misdemeanor offense to use “indecent or profane language” in a “loud and boisterous manner” within earshot of two or more people on any public road or highway in North Carolina. (Note: the law, adopted in 1913, exempts Pitt and Swain Counties from its scope but applies in all other counties in North Carolina.)

“This 98-year-old law is a blatant violation of the First Amendment,” said Jennifer Rudinger, Executive Director of the ACLU-NCLF. “We applaud the judge’s ruling as an important victory for free speech. Our client, Samantha Elabanjo, never should have been charged with a crime just for saying ‘damn’ on a public street.”

Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
This looks like a great teaching opportunity for you. Just get one of your daughter's CD's (the Chipmunks are very effective), and blast it full volume towards your neighbors when they're all asleep. This will teach your daughter that 1) yes, sometimes drastic measures are necessary, and 2) the Chipmunks rock.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
This looks like a great teaching opportunity for you. Just get one of your daughter's CD's (the Chipmunks are very effective), and blast it full volume towards your neighbors when they're all asleep. This will teach your daughter that 1) yes, sometimes drastic measures are necessary, and 2) the Chipmunks rock.
Won't work. Chipmunks are too catchy. You need to roll out the big guns - Barney. After hearing a snippet of one Barney song just once, I would consider self-performed ear surgery. Blare a single song on repeat for an hour and you'll soon have a vacant home across the street (after the coroner removes the bodies).

I'm being facetious, of course...
If there's any message for your kid to learn here, it's that most people are jerks, but that it doesn't mean she needs to be one, too. I seem to recall reading something about the son of a certain flying spaghetti monster offering such advice.
And the last thing you want to teach an impressionable child is that there are "good" words and "bad" words, any more than you'd want to teach her that sex is dirty or that food is evil.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:24 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,030,446 times
One can assume from this document that there are ordinances against noise. I'd check this out

http://www.highpointnc.gov/custsrv/docs/02_11.pdf

Old 04-04-2011, 03:00 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
This would be an opportunity to be a good parent, not try to get someone in trouble because you disagree with the music they listen to.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:31 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
It's not about getting someone in trouble because someone disagrees with the kind of "music" (I use the term very loosely) an adjoining occupant listens to (I wouldn't give someone like that the respect to call them a neighbor). It's one thing when someone choses to listen to this nonsense inside their home where no one other than the listener can here, but these rude and vile lyrics are usually associated with subwoofers that can literally shake a house a block away day and night, trespassing on someone minding their own business not wanting for themselves or decent family members to be violated with someone's selfish attitude and breach of the peace.

Thinking it's simply someone saying "damn" on the public street (like the law that was struck down as unconstitutional banning curse words on the public street- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14 197) isn't the same as someone blasting something causing a disturbance. While people can be free to swing their arms freely, no one has the right to swing their arms into someone else's face.

Most of these ignorant, vile, and rude occupants who blast this could care less about what they do or how it affects their neighbors. If there is some trouble they would get into, such as being cited for a noise violation or held accountable through a civil action against them, so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
This would be an opportunity to be a good parent, not try to get someone in trouble because you disagree with the music they listen to.

Last edited by Jowel; 05-29-2011 at 08:46 PM..

Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
It's not about getting someone in trouble because someone disagrees with the kind of "music" (I use the term very loosely) an adjoining occupant listens to (I wouldn't give someone like that the respect to call them a neighbor). It's one thing when someone choses to listen to this nonsense inside their home where no one other than the listener can here, but these rude and vile lyrics are usually associated with subwoofers that can literally shake a house a block away day and night, trespassing on someone minding their own business not wanting for themselves or decent family members to be violated with someone's selfish attitude and breach of the peace.

Thinking it's simply someone saying "damn" on the public street (like the law that was struck down as unconstitutional banning curse words on the public street- N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14 197) isn't the same as someone blasting something causing a disturbance. While people can be free to swing their arms freely, no one has the right to swing their arms into someone else's face.

Most of these ignorant, vile, and rude occupants who blast this could care less about what they do or how it affects their neighbors. If there is some trouble they would get into, such as being cited for a noise violation or held accountable through a civil action against them, so be it.
Um... No. You're incorrect. You don't get to decide what other people find offensive.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:57 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Um... No. You're incorrect. You don't get to decide what other people find offensive.
Yeah we do.
In the same way that your right to throw a punch ends at my nose...
My right to blast noise and offensive lyrics ends at your eardrums.

The problem is what can be done about it. To date... not much at all.
It appears that only a few towns in NC have any actual statutes or even objective standards to TRY to apply against the problem.

The last thing I'd want to see is a nannyism approach to anything...
but being offended or just annoyed is a reasonable basis to WANT to do something.

OP: have you talked to YOUR neighbor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point