Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 08:09 PM

21 posts, read 38,394 times

Advertisements

I've been interested in possibly moving to NC, I've heard a lot of great things about the area, as well as other things that keep me grounded.
So, my wife and I are going to check out Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Burlington next week.
I would like to know if those of you from these areas can keep me from aimlessly driving around, trying to learn about the areas. I've gone over what I can see from Google Earth, and these areas seem very expansive. I see a government buildings, universities, law offices, public facilities trend around the centers of each of the cities. And surrounding residential communities. But I don't see much foot traffic anywhere.
Where can my wife and I go to talk to the people who are having a cup of coffee in the AM, small shops whose owners might take a minute to tell us about the area, chat with people visiting the local parks, or any other scenario that might foster communication?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 08:43 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,635,283 times
In addition to the Triad, have you considered the Triangle? I'm a bit outside of Raleigh and love the area. Though we're looking to move, and have focused on the Triad for lower housing prices compared to the Triangle. I'm a fellow Yankee btw (I'm assuming you're in Connecticut), having grown up in Westchester County NY.

Sorry I can't give specific things to do, as we're really only familiar with residential areas of the Triad so far, not having lived there yet.

The downtown areas of the cities you mentioned are very quiet, as not too many people actually live downtown - at least compared to cities in the northeast.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,672,052 times
I'm a bit confused as to what the purpose of your visit will be. Anyway, there will be plenty of folks out and about during the day anywhere you might plan to visit. I can't get into much more specifics unless you want to provide more.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:51 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,592,936 times
I second that, no point in me telling you about downtown if you have an interest in living in an upscale sub-division.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:19 AM

21 posts, read 38,394 times
Thank you for everyone's contribution. We made it back from the trip last week, and we had a great time. We also learned a lot. Prior to traveling there, the distances between places, as well as the expanses of the cities themselves, were intimidating to imagine covering in a week's time. But, in the end, we made it out there. We covered a lot of area to see the differences between the different cities. We then focused on the area that we felt more at home in. And then we learned more of the fine details of that area (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point). Great place, great people, and many reasons to relocate. Now it's just a matter of how to work that out.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 9,239 times
If I were you I would try going to Old Salem in Winston-Salem,NC. Especially if you like history. It is set up similiar to Colonial Williamsburg. Lots of old houses and people dressed up in period dress.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:26 PM

6 posts, read 8,990 times
Default places to meet people in Greensboro

Smith street diner in greensboro NC or herbies diner on battleground ave or bruggers bagles across form herbies battle groung park is just 5 min up form the diners on battleground and a lot of people walk there people are friendly and will talk to you.
not sure about Burlington
Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-08-2011 at 11:39 PM..

Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,592,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms435 View Post
If I were you I would try going to Old Salem in Winston-Salem,NC. Especially if you like history. It is set up similiar to Colonial Williamsburg. Lots of old houses and people dressed up in period dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoin colleran View Post
Smith street diner in greensboro NC or herbies diner on battleground ave or bruggers bagles across form herbies battle groung park is just 5 min up form the diners on battleground and a lot of people walk there people are friendly and will talk to you.
not sure about Burlington
Moderator cut: tos violation
CT has already made the trip.

Old 06-10-2011, 04:43 AM

700 posts, read 1,648,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
CT has already made the trip.
ec is trying to market his house. Mod has cut off the ad parts. Wonder if he wants to buy mine??

Old 06-10-2011, 01:37 PM

103 posts, read 214,703 times
Me and my boyfriend are looking to move to the WS/Greensboro area also! We are going down for a few days in july to try and look around and get a feel for the area. Can you give any pointers or were to go or what to look for? We are waiting till 1 of us gets a job before we actually move down there but it's hard to get a job there while still in NY. I dont want to live somewere too country of far from stores and thigns like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point