Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:39 AM

112 posts, read 258,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyaninnc View Post
So you decided to make it out toward us, good for you.
Sports? College sports are huge here, the Winston Salem area is really split up in terms of teams. Most do root for Wake Forest but there are a lot of UNC Tar Heel fans here which rightfully so. You have these college teams to root for out of the ACC, UNC, NCSTATE, DUKE, and WEAK FOREST, oopps, I meant WAKE FOREST.
Yeah but does she really want to be a Tar Hole or a Dukie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 12:02 PM

72 posts, read 314,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
Yeah but does she really want to be a Tar Hole or a Dukie?
Well, I think we can break it down like this.

You are correct on one thing, she does not want to be a Dukie, and Wake Forest is exactly what I claim them Weak Forest but it is the Winston home team, then you have those loseable wolf pack crowds where the new coach wears an ugly out dated 1970's style red jacket , or she can go with a winner and chose the Heels, aschool that is blessed with winners, class, and has actually made more people famous than possibly Hollywood.

By the way, by her moving here this year and gearing up for college hoops she can enjoy watching a winner and another National Tittle coming into the Carolinas by rooting for the Tar Heels (pre-season ranked #1 in the nation), also she gets to see the newly coached football team by Butch Davis, former National Tittle winner and ex NFL coach. What a great time for a transplant to move here and chose North Carolina, the school of the people. LOL

KC, I was right by telling you about this area a few weeks ago and I'm right again about telling you what ACC North Carolina team to root for.

KC, out of the four schools mentioned which one have you heard most about on that side of the Country, (UNC) University of North Carolina Tar Heels? Duke University Blue Devils? NC State Wolf Pack? Wake Forest Demon Deacons?

Old 08-12-2007, 12:05 PM

72 posts, read 314,337 times
By the way...

This is all in good fun and is just the way it is here with the big four schools here in NC and their fans... This is just Michelle71 and I having a usual conversation in NC

I love it and we all have fun with it here in NC...

Old 08-12-2007, 12:35 PM

112 posts, read 258,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyaninnc View Post
Well, I think we can break it down like this.

You are correct on one thing, she does not want to be a Dukie, and Wake Forest is exactly what I claim them Weak Forest but it is the Winston home team, then you have those loseable wolf pack crowds where the new coach wears an ugly out dated 1970's style red jacket , or she can go with a winner and chose the Heels, aschool that is blessed with winners, class, and has actually made more people famous than possibly Hollywood.

By the way, by her moving here this year and gearing up for college hoops she can enjoy watching a winner and another National Tittle coming into the Carolinas by rooting for the Tar Heels (pre-season ranked #1 in the nation), also she gets to see the newly coached football team by Butch Davis, former National Tittle winner and ex NFL coach. What a great time for a transplant to move here and chose North Carolina, the school of the people. LOL

KC, I was right by telling you about this area a few weeks ago and I'm right again about telling you what ACC North Carolina team to root for.

KC, out of the four schools mentioned which one have you heard most about on that side of the Country, (UNC) University of North Carolina Tar Heels? Duke University Blue Devils? NC State Wolf Pack? Wake Forest Demon Deacons?

True, Carolina basketball has had a winning tradition. That is why there are so many bandwagon fans. And I do seem to recall that State gave UNC a run for their money in the championship game even though Carolina was a far more talented team. State even managed to beat them once. It will be interesting to see what happens with football since we both have new coaches. If a person moves to this state and wants to cheer for a team where the fans are very passionate and will be there through thick and thin and not just when the team is doing well the team to cheer for is NC State, the true school of the people.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:40 PM

403 posts, read 1,566,380 times
Over here in Washington the most talked about NC teams would have to be the Tarheels (Jordan) and Duke. Wake Forest would have to be 3rd.

You guys have the same battles as we do for the University of Washington (huskies) and Washington State (Cougars)!!

GO COUGS!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 AM

26 posts, read 103,328 times
I think it may depend on how rural the area you live in is. I have had 2 close encounters with copper heads and and seen at least 4-5 black or other harmless snakes. I have been told that having the black snakes around is good because they keep the copper heads away.

Ticks - some years are good and others are bad. I use Frontline on my dogs just to be safe. But I have pulled many a tick from my dogs or crawling up my legs.

That said. If you keep out of the tall grass/weeds the better off you are.

if nyyaninnc has had good luck - I guess mine is all bad.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:16 PM

Do ticks look like fleas?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,278,671 times
No. Fleas are small, hoppy things. Ticks look kind of like spiders, only with shorter legs. They have eight legs like spiders, and are therefore arachnids. When they've been feeding on blood, their bodies swell up and look kind of bluish from the blood. They're disgusting. lol

Images of ticks:

Ticks - Google Image Search

Images of fleas:

Fleas - Google Image Search

I have equal hate for both. lol Thankfully though, we rarely have to deal with ticks (I've seen just a couple over the past several years) and haven't had to deal with fleas at all in about 10 years.

Just use prevention for your pets and all should be fine.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:29 AM

I've heard that there are many methods to removing a tick. Is this true? I hate the idea of pinning my dog down to pull a tick out with tweezers!!

Also, how do I know what to look for on their skin? (kids and dogs)

Thanks!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:41 AM

93 posts, read 355,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2sweet4ne1 View Post
I've heard that there are many methods to removing a tick. Is this true? I hate the idea of pinning my dog down to pull a tick out with tweezers!!

Also, how do I know what to look for on their skin? (kids and dogs)

Thanks!
TICKS- if you put frontline plus on your dogs monthly they will never get ticks or fleas.
even if they are outside pups
removing ticks is easy, it should be the least of your worries

Snakes- you MIGHT see one a year if you are lucky

Fireflies- Do you have them in NC? YES they rock, but they seem to be few and far between this year

Driver's license/tags- no clue, try googling "NC DMV"

Utilities- we only have electric (no gas) and our monthly bill averages about $105 a month for 1600 sqft house

Sports- i'm not a sports fan, can't help you there - try rooting for WAKE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point