Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 PM

6 posts, read 11,816 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Barber Road in Carthage?? We're looking at some property there, but don't know anything about the area. Any information would truly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 06:31 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick&Diane View Post
Can anyone tell me about Barber Road in Carthage?? We're looking at some property there, but don't know anything about the area. Any information would truly be appreciated.
Carthage itself has some charming historic homes and a very small town feel. It's about 30 miles from Fayetteville, and closer to Sanford and Southern Pines. I have seen several builders promoting houses. From the latest Google map, Barber road is primarily trees. Its a drive to the one convenience store.

It depends on why you want the property. If to build on later, it may develop. But if you build now, do you want to be so isolated?

Old 08-09-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
I would ask whether the development will allow mobile homes. With many low income people, there is a demand for mobile home lots in the area. However, parts of Whispering Pines (same Zip Code as Carthage) are marketed as retirement communities. We looked there, and there are attrective homes, some with waterfront, at reasonable prices. I would say the area is safe and quiet, the schools get average or better ratings. There is a very good hospital in Moore County, and some nice shopping and restaruants in Southern Pines.

Again, it depends on what you are looking for.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:26 AM

We're working on the "Five-Year Plan"..... , so, God willing. We'd like to purchase the property now and build in 5-years time when we retire. I don't know if the area allows mobile homes....that would be a problem. We're planning on stick-built and wouldn't want to be surrounded by mobile homes. We looked at the areas of Whispering Pines, Southern Pines and they all have so many restrictions regarding what you can and cannot do. This piece of property seems good for what we would like. My husband is in construction, having an equipment trailer and knowing him.....he'll never 'retire'..this makes having the trailer one of those items NOT allowed in certain areas.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
having the trailer one of those items NOT allowed in certain areas.
I understand very well about developments with homeowners association restrictions. On the other hand, unless there are some restrictions, you could find your house surrounded by mobile homes. My in-laws live in Sanford, and they are good folks, but mobile homes are what they can afford. You may have to check with Moore County, and don't take the word of the seller.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You may have to check with Moore County, and don't take the word of the seller.
According to the City-data profile on Moore County, about 25% of the housing units are mobile homes, so I guess they are allowed unless restricted by a home-owner association.

Have you checked out the equestrian community lots in Carthage, like Western Trail? It is single-family, gated, and I guess they might allow trailers (for horses or construction equipment).

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-09-2011 at 12:10 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 02:11 PM

No, we haven't checked into that! And please don't think bad of me regarding the mobile homes! If truth be told, our first home was modular, which, when push comes to shove could probably pass for mobile...we wanted to find property and put it on a basement foundation, but ended up selling after 4 years for double what we paid for it......WAY back in 1986...Now if only the market was like that again!! Thanks for the info. I will definitely check Western Trail!!

Old 05-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Default West End Residents

Is anyone from West End available for questions/advice? We're recently found some property and would like to know what West End is all about. We're coming from a city of over 45K people, immediate police/fire/ambulance service and very near hospitals. Is there a 'downtown' area for shopping/walking/restaurants? We very much like the property we found because the seller only wants stick built homes. We both have family down south , so we know about the houses, then mobile homes, then houses....but this area we found seems to be kind of 'built up' with newer homes. Usually there are ditches running alongside the road, but there's none of that in this area.
We'd really like to know from someone who actually lives in West End.....you can only get so much info from the internet.. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Is anyone from West End available for questions/advice?
You might get better results if you start a new thread with the title "West End." I was confused about whether you were speaking of Carthage or West End. BTW, West End is probably better known as "Seven Lakes". I know West End is a lot smaller than 45K people, and I hope you find a local to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point