Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 5,168 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am so glad I found this site. My husbands job is going to have us relocate to NC. We currently live in Florida. I am from Tennessee so actually look forward to the move, however, my husband is from Chicago and is alittle nervous about it.

We have a few options: Winston-Salem, Charlotte, High Point, Gastonia, and Greensboro.

After doing some research, I have found a particular liking to the Winston- Salem area. However, you can only find out so much online.

Schools are very imortant since we have 4 children. oldest being 11 and youngest 1 yr old. Our 9 yr old is going into the 4th grade and is extremely gifted and would not want her to suffer scholastically because of this move. Any input on the schoold in these areas would be great.

We really want to be in an area where family is most important and a great neighborhood with lots of families with children. We are very involved with our childrens lives and would like to be around other families that are as well with their children.

I would like to thank you all for any input you can give us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 11:37 AM

26 posts, read 103,232 times
Hello Gatorgal -

I don't know where in Flordia you are currently living especially if it is a bigger city but, I can see why your husband is nervous. I spent quiet a bit of time in Chitown years ago and loved it. I'm originally from NYC and NC is very different then the big cities like Chicago and NYC. There are things I miss but I love the open air here.

You may want to look at the North Davidson County Area - close to W-S but, lower property taxes. This is a fast growing area and I have only heard high praises about the schools.

I have put several links to schools in NC, Forsyth/W-S , and Davidson county schools.

North Carolina Public Schools North Carolina Public Schools
Forsyth/ Winston-Salem Public Schools mts.admin.wsfcs.k12.nc.us
Davidson County Schools www.davidson.k12.nc.us

I hope that helps - Good Luck - and a little premature but welcome to NC.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,168 times
Thanks cak270! We are in Palm Beach now. I for one am ready to get out of here and I think my hubby is too. Thanks again for your input and the links! Very helpful!

Old 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,555,576 times
Good luck on your search. Winston Salem has nice laid back culture as well as rest of the triad. I am working on a house Im flipping but I live in Charlotte area and I was telling one of my work buddies how amazed the traffic is in that area compare to the Charlotte area. I think this area really plan ahead for future growth due to the wide highways.

Davidson County has lower taxes than Forsyth or Guildford so I would lean towards the north section of that county if that is something you want. You may have to do in your home search Clemmons, Arcadia, Midway, Welcome, and Wallburg. All these communities are within 15 minutes of Winston.

North Davidson has the best AP program for tha county.

Good luck in your search.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:35 PM

52 posts, read 194,066 times
I agree with the previous posts - I am new to NC and teach in the school systems here. I live in southern Forsyth County/Northern Davidson and love the area! It is close to Winston-Salem but near enough to get out and into the country. Your husband should not be at all nervous about moving here! If he is from Chicago he should be used to the city life there but here it is nicer and a slower pace - I am from Michigan and find it quick easy and enjoyable to get around here.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:36 AM

4 posts, read 25,723 times
I have 2 children and I could not be happier with Davidson County Schools. My children go to Friedberg Elementary, in Arcadia they are the #1 technology school in nc!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point