Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,211 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this has been asked before. I'm completely new to this forum and would like some advice, please.
I'm 18 and haven't had a job yet.I can't see to find a job ANWHERE. I've literally walked up and down as many shopping centers as I could find and the mall for an entry-level job, and no one seems to be hiring or they're hiring someone with experience. I've scoured sites like Simply hired, Craigslist, Indeed, etc but turned up with nothing so far. Places that I have found that I qualify for say that I should apply online, but when I call them to check on my application they say they're full or only "collecting applications for the future".
Is there anything I can do to find work? Unfortunately other cities (maybe except Clemmons) are off-limits; I borrow my parents' car. I go to college part time, if that means anything.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 10:45 AM

881 posts, read 2,258,148 times
I suggest checking directly with your college - whether it be for an on campus job or see if they have a student job board.

you may have better with this website since it's more geared towards the type of work you are looking for:
http://www.snagajob.com/

This thread was in the Triangle Forum but many of those same ideas can apply to you in WS.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...obs-teens.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post

The best way for a teenager to get a summer job in this market is to either create their own job (babysitting, mowing grass, cleaning, etc) or to talk to someone 'on the inside' and see if they can get a referral from a current employee.

There is a way to gain experience to use toward future employment.... volunteer. Animal shelters, community summer program counselors, any of the wide range of programs that need help.... especially in this economy. If the teen is an asset to the organization s/he MAY be offered a paid position. If not, s/he has a consistant work (even if unpaid) history to put on any future applications..... a plus when managers toss the inexperienced applications into the round file.

Last edited by ncsualum2004; 12-24-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 12-25-2011, 06:41 AM

700 posts, read 1,649,592 times
Welcome to the real world. Not the one that the government shows on paper. For a college kid it will be rough to get something that will work with school hours sometimes. You may want to look at a temp agency and let them is if they can work something with in the hours that you have. You also may what to try something volunteering in your field of study. Say if you are studying to be a nurse. Volunteer at the Hospital. This might not pay but you will have something that shows you want to work. And will give you a leg up later. Good Luck

Old 01-02-2012, 06:32 PM

5 posts, read 21,400 times
I always recommend finding volunteer work or work with non-profits to pad your resume. It's not always about money. Finding opportunities like this will allow you to get real hands-on experience to give you a leg up for a paying job. You're 18, so you have a head start. You'll be surprised to find that many places won't turn down free help! Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point